Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josh99_gw

Riding mower turns over even when key is off

Josh99
9 years ago

Troy-Bilt GTX 2446

Tried to jump start it over the winter to plow some snow.

Now when I hook up the battery cables, the engine immediately starts to turn over, regardless of the key position. I am then able to turn the key on and it starts.

When I am done mowing, the engine still turns over even after the key is switched to off. I then disconnect the negative cable.

The battery terminals spark when they are connected.

I inspected and haven't found any damaged wires.

Any suggestions? or have I permanently damaged the electrical system?

Comments (19)

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

I can think of a couple different possibilities.

Disconnect the SMALL wire to the starter solenoid.
    IF the problem disappears, the problem is a "stuck" solenoid. Replace. (you might be shorting to the BIG + cable there?)

Else, the key switch is bad-
    OR
    The wire from the S terminal of the key switch to the solenoid has shorted to a 12V supply.
    This is the "small wire" mentioned previously.

I tend to think "stuck solenoid", since the safety switches should still prevent cranking unless the wire was shorted to 12V between the solenoid and the last safety switch.

This post was edited by bill_kapaun on Sat, May 31, 14 at 13:42

• mownie
    9 years ago

Bill, you are correct in all except the part where you state
    ***"Disconnect the SMALL wire to the starter solenoid.
    IF the problem DISAPPEARS, the problem is a "stuck" solenoid."***
    That should have stated that "If with the small wire disconnected from the solenoid, the problem REMAINS, then the solenoid is stuck (or internally shorted on itself)".
    If the SOLENOID is stuck.....the problem is not going to go away by disconnecting the small wire.
    If you disconnect the small wire and the problem goes away, that would indicate that the small wire is staying energized all the time, which would indicate a series of issues upstream from the solenoid (such as a stuck or shorted key switch and ALL the starter interlocks already defeated).
    Or as you said, the small wire circuit shorted to a 12V source.

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

Right again mownie-
    I'm getting in too much of a hurry.
    Installing shingles on the roof and just checking the forums during my breaks.

• mownie
    9 years ago

I feel your pain. We went through replacing our roof shingles last June. No fun at all.

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

Especially when you're an acrophobic old guy!

• mownie
    9 years ago

I see you are acquainted with me.

• rustyj14
    9 years ago

Better get that fixed, guys! Those mowers are heavy, and when one turns over on its side, they are buggers to turn right-side up! This bit of wisdom from Rustyj, whom you thought went "belly-up"! Not so---just a new computer that is messing with my mind!
    Also, met up with an old "flame" from 1947-48, who felt the same as me--ya ain't old, unless ya think ya are, and its down-hill from then on!
    Fixed several tractors, last week, sold a push mower, gave an old Toro-Wheel Horse tractor to my son. He helps me a lot, now, felt he deserved it.! I just installed a new battery, too! RATS!!~
    Bought a newer pickup. Tired of messing with those old "rats". Fair hums down the hi-way! Rusty J.

• Kyle Mott
    4 years ago

So I read through this and I have the same problem. I am 100% a beginner at this. How would I got about fixing it. I have unplugged the wires at the starter and sure enough the engine still tries to crank over when I connect the negative terminal to the battery. What would be my next step.

• tomplum
    4 years ago

Kyle, it really depends on what you have here. Obviously your starter is getting power when it shouldn't be. Solenoids and key switches are the likely suspects. If you remove the trigger wire from the solenoid and it still cranks, likely it would be the solenoid. A quick tap may disengage the solenoid which would tell you that the solenoid had stuck. How it is serviced depends on the configuration.

• Stephen Bartlett
    4 years ago

Hey guys I’ve done a lot of searching for this similar problem online it’s not with a mower though it’s a atv I burnt my starting motor up and when I replaced It my starter is turning over soon as I hook up the battery no key on and the solenoid not even hooked up I took the harness apart and thought I fixed the problem but it’s still doing it like I said nothing hooked up just the starter and grounds no solenoid and soon as I touch both terms on the battery it’ll turn over , the positive wire coming from the battery was getting hot as well and was sparking when I touch’s it , I’m thinking it’s still in the wiring harness because the rear harness just goes to the starter to solenoid and battery and one plug to the stator and voltage regulator , I unhooked the solenoid and if I touch the solenoid wire on the battery with the negative hooked up it’ll do the same and turn over does this mean there crossed somewere ?? Sorry for bothering you guys but I’ve been looking everywhere for help , my email is quad_racer10@hotmail.com if I don’t respond or if this is to much trouble and anyone has a idea to help thanks

• tomplum
    4 years ago

Stephen, I'm unsure of your exact set up, but typically either the starter switch is sending the signal to crank to the solenoid when it shouldn't or the solenoid is stuck. Sometimes a tap on the solenoid will free it up for test purposes. If you have no signal at the solenoid telling it to engage, but it does complete the circuit from the battery to the starter- likely the solenoid is the culprit.

• Stacy
    4 years ago

I have an issue where mine shuts off when i make a right turn. Any ideas

Z55 toro ride on model 74189 possibly from 1989.

• tomplum
    4 years ago

Depends on what happens at the stall point. IE cuts out for a few seconds and runs on or kills and stays dead/ restarts etc. I think of seat switch or a loose harness part coming out of position when turning. In any case inspect what you can of the harness paying attention to the connectors, relays under seat mount that may be interfered with by drive linkage or simply being loose.

• Stacy
    4 years ago

I can go full steam ahead straight,back,left but when i move steering bar to the right it dies.

• HU-110238294
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I just changed the solenoid on my mothers mower and now am having this issue. Not sure if it had the issue before as my brothers were arcing it over to start it for a couple of years.

I unplugged the key switch wiring harness and the 2 small wires on the new solenoid and the positive wire still sparks when I touch it to the battery terminal.

Tapped on the solenoid and it stopped turing the engine over, so my new solenoid is sticking for some reason. Tested it several times and tapping on the solenoid fixes the issue every time.

Do I just go get a new solenoid again?

• tomplum
    3 years ago

Sounds like it is sticking from your description. If it is cranking w/o the 2 small terminals attached.

• James Allen
    9 months ago

My Toro 42" time cutter will turn over with key in off position someone give me the correct answer to solve my problem

• Vicki Pettus
    8 months ago

James.. Did you get yours fixed? Im having the same problem

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!