Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldgraymare_gw

huskee lawn tractor

oldgraymare
12 years ago

My almost 3 yr old huskee lt 4200 is getting really hard to start. It eventually does start and runs fine. After the first initial hard start... I can stop and start it all day with no problems. I have replaced plug and battery and fuel filter looks clean. Ive read some horror stories on the OHV motors about warped cams and other things I have no idea what they are. But... I think it would do that all the time (?) Any ideas on what else I can try?

Comments (13)

• javert
    12 years ago

Hello, oldgraymare. We're probably going to need a little more information. For example, what brand of engine do you have? What is its horsepower? Is it twin cylinder, or one (if its twin, and you replaced only one plug, that could be part of your problem)? When it's hard to start, does the engine fire occasionally, or does it just crank and crank but make no effort to start? Have you changed the oil - and if so, did you use the viscosity recommended by the engine manufacturer (viscosity being something like 10W30, or HD30)? Are you using FRESH gasoline (bought within the past 3 days or so)? HAVE YOU CLEANED (OR REPLACED) THE AIR FILTER? Have you replaced the fuel filter (LOOKING clean doesn't mean anything - if it hasn't been replaced in 3 years, then you definitely need to put a new one in - and take care that you get the right one; this is important, particularly if the engine is a Kohler. Get the part number out of the owner's manual.)

As a first guess, I'd think that you've got either an air problem (dirty air filter), or a fuel problem (old gas, dirty filter, or crud in the carburetor.)

• mownie
    12 years ago

Post the technical model number and the type number of the engine if this is a Briggs & Stratton engine. The numbers will be on the engine and will be listed just like this......model xxxxxx type xxxx xx.
    That is the only way we know for sure what is likely going on there.

• oldgraymare
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It is a Kohler OHV 17 hp single cylinder. gas is new.. i use stabile in the winter if there is any gas left in it, air filter and fuel filter are not new. I did clean the air filter. I will pick new ones up on my home from work and try them first. I change the oil every spring using what the manual says. It is clean. It does not fire... just cranks for about 30 seconds then fires up. No smoke, backfiring or anything... and then its fine all day.

• User
    12 years ago

Make sure you get EXACTLY the correct micron rating fuel filter for that Kohler.

The wrong micron rating or a universal or third party fuel filter can introduce all kinds of new, weird problems.

• mownie
    12 years ago

OK, this is beginning to have the smell of a choke that is not closing "tight enough" to make the mixture rich enough for easy cold starts.
    Remove air filter and apply the choke cable.
    The choke plate (butterfly) in the top of the carb should close tight enough that it just about stops all the air from entering the carb.
    If.......with the choke applied, you can physically close the butterfly more using light finger tip pressure, the choke is not closed enough and needs adjusting.
    You still are missing the point on this here model number stuff. Even though you have a Kohler engine, there is still a specific model number for that engine. "17 hp OHV" will not get a member to the right online service manual if one turns out to be necessary.
    Not trying to be difficult here but it requires certain info be presented with each case for us to really address a problem properly.

• javert
    12 years ago

Okay, oldgraymare, you're getting responses from some of the most knowledgeable members of this forum. Any advice you get from any of the above responders you need to comply with.

Mownie might well have hit the nail on the head, about the choke not closing fully. I just smacked myself on the forehead.

• oldgraymare
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You guys were right about the butterfly not closing all the way.. a little adjustment and it starts right up now! Thanks to all!!

• earthworm
    12 years ago

I must say, the members here have made this one great forum.

• jvcadd_aol_com
    12 years ago

Huskee 38in OHV
    Briggs Straton Model 28N707
    Type 1118-E1

Starter is dragging will not start; cranked it engine rotated slowly did not start and fuel is everywhere and it just keeps flowing; what is causing the fuel to keep flowing even if it does not start?

• rcbe
    12 years ago

if your tractor has a gravity feed fuel to engine type tank, then most likely the carb float valve is not shutting off flow, letting raw fuel drain right into engine.

pull oil dipstick, smell same for presence of fuel in oil. If so, change crankcase oil/filter before running engine. oil contaminated with fuel will not lube engine but will cause catastrophic failure quickly. Fix carb float valve. Then, purchase/install a fuel shutoff valve (inexpensive - get at dealer) into the fuel line - use it all the time.

slow starter - first verify battery and start circuit connection are in good shape. If still starter, remove - take to shop for bench test before spending big bucks.

• LeeBuk
    9 years ago

i have a huskee lt4200 48in cut, I can go start it right now, and shut it off, and try to start it back and will not do anything, wont turn over or even click, have put a new battery in, checked all the wires and they are all tight, what could be my problem? key switch?

• themowerboss
    9 years ago

>OK, this is beginning to have the smell of a choke that is not closing "tight enough"

Nice catch!

• tomplum
    9 years ago

Leebuk, I'd check inputs at the solenoid. That is the component that the red battery cable leads you to. It may be funky itself. Best to start a new thread with the full model number from below the seat.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living