Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mclane_gw

starting problem

mclane
11 years ago

I have a Craftsman riding mower,17.5 hp. Have replaced starter,solinoid and magneto but it won't start when you first turn the key. After you turn the key numerous times it will start. At first the flywheel will just turn maybe a 1/4 turn. Keep turning the key and it will start.After it does start it will start up all day long, first time you turn the key.Let it set over-night, and it's the same thing! HELP PLEASE

Comments (3)

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

Many threads about this-

Briggs OHV engines require the valves to be properly adjusted for the compression release to function.

• walt2002
    11 years ago

As above which is outlined in your Owner's Manual.

I have detailed instructions IF you would like them, address below, put in proper format and remind me, model number, etc.

Walt Conner
    wconner5 at frontier dot com

• baymee
    11 years ago

This post and other similar recent posts came to mind today as I had a 15HP OHV Briggs in the shop that was doing the same thing.

The specs are for .004 Intake and .006 Exhaust. I took the time to measure the gap before starting. It was about .010 Intake and about .015 Exhaust. It's only a matter of a few thousandths of an inch, but what a difference in behavior when they were properly adjusted.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH