Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
a_c_homesteader

Craftsman mower deck height question

a-c_homesteader
9 years ago

Got a 1990 Craftsman GT6000 917.254450 with an 18hp B&S opposed twin vertical shaft. My question is about the 44 inch mower deck, I've adjusted it exactly like it says in the owners manual but even with the lift lever locked in the raised position it cuts about 3/4 inch lower then what I would like. I don't like how low the deck hangs in the front. The mower deck scalps the grass really bad and I can't get it into my shed because the front hangs up on the lip of the shed floor. With the lift lever locked in the raised position the back is 3' off the ground but the front is an inch. I don't see any adjustment for raising the front of the deck, just the back and side to side. I can't mow in any other position except with the lift lever locked in the raised because then the front of the deck drags on the ground. I also have the depth knob maxed out in the raised position which is no help. Does anybody know how I can raise up the front of the deck or is just nature of the beast?

Here is a link that might be useful: Deck Adjustment

Comments (3)

• mownie
    9 years ago

Oldie but goody?
    First thing, before making any other hardware adjustments, make sure all your tires are properly inflated, 14 PSI Front, 10 PSI Rear. Underinflated tires wreak havoc with deck height adjustment.
    Next, check all the holes and pins that have anything to do with hanging the deck, for wear. On the holes you are looking for elongation, on the pins you are looking for wear that effectively reduces the diameter of the pin. Big holes and small pins cause problems by allowing the deck to hang lower than when everything was brand spanking new.
    Next, check for wear to the front axle mounting saddles, trunnion spacer and mounting bolt, and the axle center (trunnion) hole for wear.
    On the IPL in the owner's manual the mounting saddles are items # 41 & 43, the trunnion bolt is item # 42, the trunnion spacer is item # 45.
    Wear to these parts allows the tractor frame to be lower to the ground than when new.
    Last, check the steering knuckles (aka steering spindles) and all wheel bearings/bushings for wear.
    Worn parts in those will also allow the frame to be lower to the ground than new.
    Now, the really bad news...........any/all wear in any/all of the aforementioned components and parts is additive or accumulative, meaning that a little wear here and a little wear there and some more wear to this other part can all add up a significant total sum of wear.
    So measured wear you find in one place must be added to the measured wear of all the other things in order to see the big picture, and get an idea of just how much lower your tractor and deck are to the ground in 2014 than in 1990.

• tomplum
    9 years ago

Be sure the weldments on those deck brackets are secure. But yes, do what you need to do to get the nose up. fashion new draft arms if you have to. I wouldn't expect to get much over 3 in the rear.

• a-c_homesteader
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I ended up switching it over to newer style GT6000 front mount that is adjustable

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms