Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scoff1010

cutting wet grass

scoff1010
11 years ago

I have a john deere x740 with a 48 inch cutting deck,in dry weather it makes a really profesional job but if theres a shower of rain or a heavey dew on a morning it simply just makes a mess.The cutting deck seems to hold the grass instead of blowing it out of the side discharge until eventually it blocks up,when i disengage the blades it drops the grass in one big lump,just wandering if anybody else have had this problem or if theres any solutions for it.

Comments (7)

• ckr74
    11 years ago

This is a common problem on wet grass. I think some mowers will handle it better than others but it's a better idea to wait until later in the day to mow or when it's drier.

• grass1950
    11 years ago

I agree with ckr74. I've read where some people (I even think one was on a professional landscapers forum) suggest waxing the underside of the deck and spraying it with PAM. Sounds like an old wives tale to me and even if it works, the lawn would have dried out before you could get done getting under there and spraying everything with PAM.

• rcmoser
    11 years ago

When I have to do it I just wash the deck off top and bottom ands blow dry. heck it already wet so little more water wont't hurt it IMO. I also like to wait, but in my area if I wait too long the wind dries everything out and now I got dust and sand being pulled up along with the grass. This dulls my blades and and the moisture in the grass being cut sticks to bottom of my deck anyway. So IMO dirt and sand in much worse even if I clean it up after every use.

• PRO
    Steven Laurin & Company
    11 years ago

Agree with previous suggestions - only cut a dry lawn. Although at times, especially before a diluge is forecasted, I am faced with the decision to mow wet grass. In these instances, I have found that the permanent installation of specilaized mulching blades and the chute plug, does minimize the clumping + clogging issues experienced with use of just the factory blades, during these situations.

May have to drive a bit slower and make multiple passes, but it sure beats raking.

• wheely_boy
    11 years ago

What about spraying the lawn with PAM?

• larso1
    11 years ago

Pam always insists I do it myself.....she does the dishes though...

• rcmoser
    11 years ago

Multch plugs agrevate the problem. Green grass when being cut dry still has moisture in it. Along with the moist grass clippings dust (especially in sandy soil)gets stuck to the underside of the deck. and will clump or build up in the low air flow areas of the deck. You still have to scrap or clean under the deck monthly, but not after use like when cutting wet grass.

Now you can do nothing and the deck will rust out from the top and the bottom in few years as pictures we have seen which IMO gives certain brand mowers bad names due to the owners neglect.

Sponsored