Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don31774

Oil Leak in Briggs and Stratton

don31774
16 years ago

I have a B & S twin cylinder Model 12A707 Series 2238E1 and code 9708125 and it leaks oil a lot. I have replaced the Oring on the bottom of the extended oil fill tube and tightened everything up and it still leaks. Where can this oil be coming from? Please advise.

Comments (5)

• bill_kapaun
    16 years ago

12A707 Series 2238
    Doesn't come up on the Briggs site.

Are you filling the oil to JUST the full mark on the dip stick?
    Another possibility is the breather cover, located behind the carb.

Since we can't see the engine, you're basically going to have to clean off the existing oil and observe where it first starts to leak out.

• walt2002
    16 years ago

"12A707"

I THINK he mistyped and it is a 42A707.

Oil could be coming from bad sump gasket, bad bottom crankshaft seal, bad inspection plate gasket, bad crankcase breather though this would show up in air cleaner, loose valve cover plate.

Clean the engine then LOOK where it is coming from.

Walt Conner

• larryf
    16 years ago

i am assuming you are referring to a 42A707 opposed twin.

If this is correct, it may be possible some of the crankcase bolts or the rear crankcase cover had loose bolts. When this happens, crankcase vacuum can suck in a section of the gasket. Tightening the bolts will not correct this problem.

Check the fuel pump vacuum hose to ensure it is installed. Also check the area around the valve spring covers. As suggested, you should clean the engine and then run it to find the oil leak.

• mownie
    16 years ago

Now some of you guys will laugh me out of town for this one. I worked part time at a motorcycle shop back in the late '80s. By that time a lot of the bike engines were black in color. Sometimes it would be difficult to pin point an oil leak against this black background. First step to finding the leak was to clean off the area with spray on engine cleaner followed by a good rinse. Then we dried the engine with compressed air (but you can use a leaf blower as an effective substitute). To provide contrast color, we would use a "spray deodorant/anti-perspirant" that had talcum powder in it's formula. We would spray the suspect parts, seals, gaskets, seams, etc. with enough of the powder to turn everything white. Then we would run the engine and watch the area. As soon as the oil leaks past its defective containment part, it will turn the powder brown. There is your leak. The powder washes off with detergent and water.

• walt2002
    16 years ago

"we would use a "spray deodorant/anti-perspirant" that had talcum powder in it's formula. "

Thanks, good idea IF I can remember it.

Walt Conner

Sponsored
Arete Construction Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Experienced Craftsman & Top Quality Masonry in Frederick County