Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Murray mower, jerking and slipping hydrostatic transmission

Posted by don1455 (My Page) on
Sat, May 1, 10 at 15:14

2005 Murray model 425620x92B
I've adjusted the motion drive belt and the clutch according to specs. I've engaged the lever (automatic drive disconnect) under the seat. The mower still balks when backing up and sometimes jerks when going forward. The transaxle has oil soaked dirt caked onto the housing which suggests to me that the transaxle may be leaking fluid. I don't see any way to check the fluid level or add more. Any thoughts and also, if added, what type of fluid should be used?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Murray mower, jerking and slipping hydrostatic transmission

might ck for slipped/missing axle to wheel key..

o
RE: Murray mower, jerking and slipping hydrostatic transmission

Look for the vent - looks like a piece of garden hose on top toward the rear of the transmission. Clean around it, pull the hose out, stick a pencil/wooden dowel to measure level of oil. My understanding is that they take 20-50W oil. I would add until it is 3/4" from top. -- That is what I did to my MTD Yardmachine, I am assuming that your system will be very similar. It worked like magic on mine!

When you check the level, look at the color of the oil on the measuring stick - if it looks like it is toasted you may want to suck it out and replace it. If you search this forum there should be many theads that address this.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here