Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johntommybob

Old, Rather Large, Craftsman Lawn Tractor?

johntommybob
14 years ago

Went to a guy's house to pick up a motorcycle tire my son-in-law bought on ebay. My son-in-law lives in another town and the guy lives near me, but that story gets to long to tell.

In the back of the guy's garage sat a large, gray, and old, Craftsman lawn tractor. He was a fairly young guy so I asked where did you get that? He said he bought it from a friend for $125.00. He said he spent another $150.00 to "two guys" to get it running and mowing right. I had never seen one like it. It was quite a bit bigger than my GT225. He thought it had a 18 HP engine, but wasn't sure. The paint was faded but the tractor looked to be in good running order. I thought he got a heck of a good deal.

Anybody own anything like that?

It had a three speed transmission with a lo-hi range selector

Comments (11)

• rustyj14
    14 years ago

Yep! I deal in those older models any time i can get them! I use them, or use the engines, transmissions, or other parts. One thing--they usually didn't have the slush-pump transmissions so well liked by the modern folks! And, they kept running and going and working, with no usual troubles, as long as they were cared for!
    And, BUILT! Heavy frames and axles, none of the light duty stuff as made today!
    A man stopped last summer, and said if i'd come to his house, he'd give me his old tractor, so i went and there sat an old Craftsman/Sears light gray tractor, in good condition. He said he had to get rid of it, because his 80 year old father wanted to ride it to mow his hilly yard, and he didn't want him getting hurt! (Funny, because he gave it to me, who was 83 at the time!)I hauled it home, installed a new battery, and it got sold 2 weeks later! Yep, don't knock the older stuff--it was made of stout steel, not the stamped tin you get today.

• njdpo
    14 years ago

Agreed on the old Sears stuff... I have a friend whos into vintage Sears and they really had some cool stuff - and VERY stout as well.

I was recently looking at an older unit for sale and the front grill was cast metal... Very nice looking stuff - the problem with this unit was that while it had a plow on it - it was lacking a deck ... and decks for these units are a bit harder to find these days.

The guy was taking offers - I was gonna offer him $125 for it - but without a deck - I dont really have a use for it.

Dave

• johntommybob
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The deck on that tractor looked original. It reminded me of a deck I saw on a Gravely lawn tractor. It had skids at the front edge and wheels on the back edge and made me think it might be a floating deck.

• yellowfever
    14 years ago

What caught my attention (as a MC Rider) is that your son-in-law bought a tire for his bike on EBay!

• larso1
    14 years ago

If it looks like this one, I'd say he hit the jackpot...

{{gwi:326397}}

• johntommybob
    Original Author
    14 years ago

yellowfever: My son-in law is in his late forties, has rode bikes all his life, and still rides MC in Alabama. He has a whole garage full of bikes, but no cruisers. The tire was for the front of his Honda sport bike. The guy is amazing. He can fix anything on a bike, and if he can't find what he wants, being a machinist, he just makes it.

larsol: Yeah, I think that's a lot like it, but that one looks a whole lot better.
    Good job on the restoration.

• larso1
    14 years ago

Well, I wish it was mine, just to pull stuff around and look cool to the neighbors...ha!

• bd354
    14 years ago

I have two tractors very much like that. 25 hp Kohlers and hydro transmissions. One has a bad transmission. The other I still mow with. I've had it for 15 years. The only difference I see is mine are dark green.

• memo3
    14 years ago

I have a Craftsman like the one above but not dually. 18HP/IC, 44" deck. I've had it in the shop to have some repairs made and it's running good again like it always has. The trouble is that the blades are not cutting evenly (new blades). I'm wondering if the repairman put the blades on in the wrong order, or possibly put on the wrong blades? One is shorter than the the other two. Does anyone have any idea what blades these older models take or how they are supposed to be installed? I can't find a model number on the unit anywhere.

• rcbe
    14 years ago

lift up the tilting seat and look for an ID plate.

Sponsored