Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skibo_gw

Kohler engine Question

skibo
9 years ago

Hi,
I have a good running 22.5 HP Kohler model # CV22S in my Craftsman G.T. with a Hydro- Gear trans. I believe the oil seal under the engine is shot because it drips oil profusely and it's all over the engine and the drive belt making it slip. I dont cut with this tractor, I only pull a trailer with heavy items from my lower property to my upper property, so I need good belt grip! Question ,How difficult is this seal going to be to replace? I havn't yet removed the mower clutch from the bottom of the engine yet, as this would be a good time to do that. Will I have to pull the oil pan, I don't really want to remove the engine from the frame at this point to do the work, also is there a nut or bolt that holds the clutch and pully on the crank, and is it right or left hand thread? So far I cant think of anything els to ask in doing this seal replacment if you can think of any things to watch for or some good short cuts and problem spots to watch for Please let me know.
Regards
Skibo

Comments (5)

• rcbe
    9 years ago

1) there is a capscrew holding the PTO clutch assy onto the engine crankshaft - has normal threads, but best to use an impact wrench to break it loose.
    Find the full spec numbers for the engine (usually on a label on the engine or stamped on the sheet metal) - go to the Kohler engine website, d/l a free service manual for your particular engine - will give you all the details you need. Good luck.

• skibo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks I'll do that.

• mownie
    9 years ago

I would approach this with the suspicion that the sump cover gasket may be leaking in addition to the crankshaft oil seal.
    Your saying that oil is all over the engine kinda hints that the oil may be coming from a defective sump cover gasket.
    But this is the kind of repair where you don't really try to decide if it's one or the other. You just go ahead and replace both because you are right there at both of them anyhow once you get the engine out.
    But that's just what I would do.

• neiselliott
    9 years ago

I just got done replacing the oil sump gasket on my Craftsman GT5000. The hardest part was getting the stuck pulleys off. After trying two different pullers and alot of liquid wrench I decided to take the four bolts holding the motor on the body off and take the entire plate the engine sits on off. Then I just flipped the engine over, sprayed some more liquid wrench and then using two flat bars I was able to pry the pulleys off fairly easily. The key to the whole job is to take pictures and make notes of where everything goes. At this point I've discovered that I didn't take enough pictures of where the throttle, and governor springs go. When I first got it fired up it was stuck in a wide open rev. I disconnected the spring and went to youtube on how to adjust the governor. Take it slow and you should be ok. Good luck!

• neiselliott
    9 years ago

Another tip I wish I would have remembered to do myself was to use Loctite on the bolts. Afer about 5 minutes of mowing the bolts I torqued to specs were loose and oil was leaking all over the place. I was able to tighten them and continue mowing but eventually I will have to replace the gasket again. Live and learn I guess.

Sponsored