Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problems start riding mower

Posted by jrmccoy none (My Page) on
Sun, May 4, 14 at 15:30

I am having a problem starting my Husqvarna riding lawn mower. When I attempt to start it, I here a loud buzzing noise in the ignition switch, but it won't turn over. I can however jump start the mower. I ran it for a good 15-20 minutes yesterday to make sure the battery was charged up. That appears to have made the buzzing noise louder. Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problems start riding mower

Follow up: The buzzing noise may not be coming from the ignition switch. It may be the solenoid. Again, if I jump start it, it will start.

o

Get the battery charged & Load Tested.
You didn't provide any model # of your mower, but many of these only have a 3 AMP charge system. That means it'd take about 10 hours to charge a fully run down battery.

What likely is happening-
The battery has enough charge to activate the solenoid-
As soon as it tries to crank the starter motor, it pulls the battery voltage so low, the solenoid drops out-
Battery voltage then increases enough to activate the solenoid-
Repeat......
Kind of a machine gun effect.

This post was edited by bill_kapaun on Sun, May 4, 14 at 16:26

o

Thank you. I'll try that. That does sound like the most plausible explanation.

o

Ugh. Battery is good and fully charged. What you mentioned above fits the description. Any thoughts why jumping works? It seems to be some other electrical related issue.

o

If the battery is indeed fully charged and still acting as you described, the next step is to clean ALL the battery cable ends by taking them loose from where they are fastened and wire brushing or sand papering till clean and bright.
This means ALL battery cables where they connect to the frame (ground side) and the starter solenoid (hot side).
Disconnect the battery negative cable at the battery before you begin messing with the other cable ends. Leave the battery negative cable disconnected from the battery until you have finished cleaning and retightening all the other cables.
Reconnect the battery negative cable last.

o

Thank you! Cleaning up the connectors did the trick

o

The same principle that Bill explained was doing it. The continuity afforded by the loose or dirty connection points simply could not carry enough "juice" to operate the solenoid AND power the starter all at the same time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here