Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
JD X-320 or X5xx series? 1st time buyer

Posted by LawnJohnSilver Quebec (My Page) on
Sun, May 15, 11 at 15:35

Hi all, new member here, and I've gotta say,GREAT FORUM !!!!

I'm looking to buy my first ever lawn tractor, and I've been researching relentlessly for the last few days, trying to make up my mind. I'd like a little help, and please pardon my terminology if I state things incorrectly.

First off, I'm 63, and just coming off a back injury. Mowing my lawn with a push-mower has become increasingly difficult this year, hence my reason for considering a tractor/mower.

My lot is 27,00 sq.ft. with some very steep slopes. I'll probably mow those slopes with a push-mower and a rope, so I'll primarily be using the tractor for mowing roughly 18,000 sq.ft of flatter surface. There are a few shallower-sloped areas I'd like to do with the tractor, if possible.

As for snow removal, I'm currently using a Honda 11/32 snow-thrower w/ tracks, and I'm very happy with that solution.

I've done quite a bit of reading in the last week or so, on this and other forums, regarding machine selection, and I'm beginning to focus on some specific points. I've narrowed down the field to a few John Deere models(X-320 X-5xx), and here's where I need some help;

Locking differential; This is something I'm very curious about. If a want a locking differential, do I necessarily have to go with an X-5XX series model, or can I get(or install) this feature on an X-320?

I tried to find which trans-axle is used in the X-5xx series, but was unable to find that specific info. Anyone know that??

Also, is the K-58 trans-axle on the X-320 "serviceable"? My understanding is that the trans-axle on the X-5xx series is serviceable. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. It'll be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: JD X-320 or X5xx series? 1st time buyer

X320 = K58 not serviceable

X500 = K72B can change oil but not filter (it is internal). There is a place for the filter but it is a dummy cavity on the X500 K72B. On the K72A for the X5xx with hydraulics the filter does go in the cavity and can be replaced from the outside.

No, you can't add diff lock and YES, it works REALLY well.

Forget the Honda and get a 44" blower for the front of your new X500. Once you sit and blow snow you will never walk again.

o

Justalurker, thank you VERY MUCH for that information. Now, you mention the K72A for the "x5xx w/hydraulics", is that the x-534 and X-540?

I assume the x-500 and x-530, both use the K72B.

How significant is this "changeable filter". Are we talking about a potentially much longer service life for the K72A vs the K72B?

Now here's a really novice question for you; Do I need some sort of "kit" (PTO?) to attach a snow-blower? Any idea of how much money we're looking at, to outfit the machine with a 44" snow-blower?

o

not only are you getting the X5xx series because it is a true garden tractor, because of your back surgery, consider power steering! there is a big difference in those two transmissions and yes, the locking differential will make a HUGE difference on those slopes. not a cheap solution, but if maintained, one that will give you many years of use. scope your need and buy one step above provided you can afford it. you won't be disappointed with that JD series. get the power steering.

o

Thanks gabdow, I'll look into that tomorrow. If I'm not mistaken, the hydraulic option adds another $1800 to the cost of the machine, here in Quebec.

Luckily, I haven't required surgery, and the doctor says that's not an option anyway. He said it would be too big of a risk. I'm improving, but I have to be careful for another year or so.

I'm not certain that I'd be tackling many of my slopes, even if I had a 4-wheel drive machine. My lot is mostly an elevated plateau, surrounded on two sides by steep drop-offs. As it stands now, I'm using a push-mower, and wearing golf-shoes for traction, and even then, it is a very difficult area to do. The lawn-mower wants to roll-over, so I have to be very careful.

The sloped area is roughly 250-300 feet across, and is "stepped", so from the flat area of the yard, there's a 4-8 foot drop (varies), then a leveling off (shelf) of 3-6 feet width, then a really steep drop of another 8 feet or so.

o

Around your age and after careful consideration I opted for the X500 as the best bang for the buck. The K72B works just fine and I don't lament the lack of a replaceable filter at all. Change the trans oil as recommended and you'll be just fine.

I'd never buy all wheel steering (too complex and unnecessary) cause the X500 steers like it has power steering anyway. With the 180 lb 44" blower on the front I just hang 4 suitcase weights on the back and it steers with two fingers.

The 44" blower (complete) is about $1500 plus wheel weights and suitcase weights and chains. I'd opt for HDAP tires and you might not need chains.

The cost difference to move up from an X500 to an X540 is HUGE and IMO that money is better spent on a blower and other stuff.

o

Very interesting justalurker, and beautiful pic btw. The X-540 sells for $7225. here, and the x-500 is $5300, so that's quite a saving indeed, especially considering that I'll probably put less than 25 hours a year on the machine.

I'm curious about your wheel-weights. How much weight do they add, and how much do those cost?

Have you guys got any good tips on closing a deal with my dealer? He's throwing in a free cart, 0% financing, and the rear tires are HDAP's, but those are standard equipment anyway. I think I'll tell him the x320 makes the most sense for me, but if he sweetens the deal a bit more, that I'd perhaps opt for the X-500. Hmmmm. I wonder what a cover would be worth?

In fairness, I suppose I should also give some serious thought to the X-320. After all, if I decide to keep my Honda snow-blower, I'd probably not need the locked differential feature on the tractor. I'd be using the X-320 solely for mowing flat areas, and very limited sloped areas. Decisions, decisions.

The Honda is an amazing snow-blower btw. With its' tracks, I never skid or get bogged down, and it's a real snow-cannon. I can do areas I could never reach with a tractor, such as my patio. It's a hoot to watch that Honda climb stairs, and it always starts first pull. Just a great machine.

o

Wheel weights are 50 lbs each and cost $110 a pair down here in the US. Suitcase weights are 42 lbs each.

Rear HDAPs are not standard on the X500. Some dealers will swap them at no charge and some will charge you big bucks as an add-on.

I'd try the old... how much for an X500 with the 44" blower, rear HDAPs, a 10P cart, a grille cover (for cold weather),4 suitcase weights, and a pair of wheel weights and see what the discount is.

Best bargaining tactic I've found is to shop around if there are more than one JD dealer causes prices can vary a lot.

A good thing to know is that attachments bought on the same invoice as the tractor get the tractor warranty grandfathered. So a snow blower bought with an X500 is covered under the X500 500 hour or 48 month warranty instead of the blower's one year warranty... even in Canada.

o

Hmmm, there are a few other dealers I could contact, but they're quite a bit farther away. Might be worth a try though, because that may provide a little extra incentive for my local dealer to give me a better price.

That's good to know about the grand-fathering clause.

I've gotta confess, I've been sitting here , staring at your pics. That's one beautiful machine.

o

I find my X500 competent winter, spring, summer, and fall.

If you have a local dealer who has a rep for good service after the sale that's the place to buy if you get a price that's comfy.

o

The X-534 is a great tractor had it just over 2 years ,my yard is full of turns. The hydraulics are great, the price was right ,leftover 08 5900. A 54 inch deck is a must, looked at competitors always open minded they didnt stack up. Service after the sale has been super... and I am super fussy with my equipment . I tore my tractor down for a rubbing hydo line and the trctor is very simple to work on. The 500 is a good set up good bang for the buck. the 25 horse kawi motor uses the same amout of fuel as my 14 kawi did that amazed me. It is a mowing machine, you cant go wrong with the x 500 series .

o

How is the resale value on these things? Does John Deere offer a decent trade-in allowance on low-hour machines?

The reason I'm asking is; I may be moving in the next 2-3 years. Some of the properties I'm currently looking at are 4.5 acres, and 10 acres. They're also 20 hours away, and I don't know if it would be worthwhile moving a tractor that distance. I might/could sell locally, then re-buy at the new location.

o

Resale varies depending on the area but in general JD garden tractors do have resale value while few other brands have any. JD warranties are transferable and that is a big resale value add.

Based on the size you anticipate your new place might be you'll probably be looking at a sub-cut and will want to keep the X500 for smaller jobs.

o

Yes, that's a possibility. I'd probably opt for a X7XX with the larger property. There's also a John Deere dealer 40 minutes away from the area I'm looking at.

This is turning out to be an agonizing decision. Although I "want" an x5xx, it seems to be overkill for my current needs. (mowing only/ 1/2 acre/ 20 hours max per year). If I bought an X-320 for now, I'd take less of a depreciation hit if I sell it 2 years down the road. The machine would still have 2 years and 260 hours of warranty time left.

On the other hand, the current low financing rates certainly are attractive.

o

The X7xx are pretty nifty but for my money I go to a real sub-cut at about the same (or lower) price.

Or sell the Honda, buy the X500 with the blower and keep it for the long haul.

When and if you move to a larger property snag a clean used sub-cut either green and yellow or orange and have all the tools you need.

o

When you say "orange", I presume you're talking about a Kubota? There's a Kubota dealer not far from me. Maybe I'll drop in there tomorrow, to see their line-up.

BTW, I just spoke with the JD sales rep. The financing is approved and ready to go, so it's just a matter of deciding which tractor I'll go with. He says the "free cart" promo (7P), is only available with the X3XX series.

Now, here's something else I have to consider. I have a very sturdy, nicely built 4'x8' 1-ton all steel utility trailer. The actual inside width is 50 1/2". I'm wondering if a 48" deck would fit, and if it's too tight, how much of a hassle it would be to remove/re-install the deck, if I take it somewhere. JD's specs says it requires a minimum of 52" "storage width". When we measured one 48" deck in the showroom last week, it measured almost exactly 50 3/8". That's a whole 1/8" to spare. ;-)) I just don't recall which model of deck we measured.(mulching vs side-discharge)

o

I like the sub-cut Kubota BX series a lot. If I were going to move up that's what I'd look at.

The 7P cart is a throw-a-way and not near the quality of the 10P or 17P but free is free.

Check out the promos on the X500.

The 48" deck takes minutes to R&R after you get the hang of it and no tools are needed.

Here's what I bought to deal with the deck when it's off during the winter...

o

What a great idea. Did you make those yourself? Looks like some steel rod, drilled for cotter-pins. Hard to tell, looking at the pic.

Well, here's some fresh news. I just called two other JD dealers, and it looks like I may just have saved myself a few hundred bucks, on a 500 series. I'm going to go visit this guy tomorrow morning. I might be looking at an X-530 actually.(power-steering/hydraulics??)

o

moweraxles.com

He makes them for all many main stream brands.

o

I just went out and measured my slopes, and the average seems to be between 32-42 degrees. Impossible to do with any tractor, I presume. Looks like it's going to be a mower/rope job for that area.

As for gardening, I do very little nowadays, just a small vegetable garden, roughly 3'x 25', and no room to work with a tractor.

I'm happy with my Honda tracked snow-blower, because I can do areas that the tractor can't access.

That means mowing only my flatter areas. That said, an X-320 would probably be fine, however, it looks like I'm gonna go with the X-500. I just feel more comfortable with the idea of a more robust transaxle, the locking differential, and better tires. My dealer has offered me one for $5280. including a 54" deck. How does that sound?

o

Fair deal... make sure the 54" deck will fit everywhere you need to go... through gates and doors and around trees and such.

o

I'm going to talk to the rep tomorrow, about some accessories. Is there any way of using a front-end loader on these x5xx series tractors?

o

Sure, add about $10k to the X500. It'll say 2305 on the side of the hood and will come with a FEL...

Seriously, for light duty work here are two popular choices...

http://www.johnnybucket.com/

And also the...

40" tractor shovel from JD

o

I don't know that you can get Jonnyproducts in Canada so the JD tractor shovel may be your only option.

o

LawnJohn,

I would definitely go for an X500 series. Bigger engine, very tough tranny and easy to operate. Expensive yes, worth it - YES! I have an X540 with the 48" deck. The blade is coming soon as is the lawn sweeper and spreader.

That being said, I have a bad back (arthritis) and both knees have had multiple surgeries on them. I have 2.5 acres to mow and an 1,100 foot drive to clear in the winter. And I have hills!! So I wanted a tractor that would do the job. I still have to trim up areas on foot but its not that bad.

I love the power steering and the hydraulic deck. The liquid cooled engine is quiet and pretty fuel efficient.

For me, the extra money for the X540 was worth every penny.

Whatever your choice, enjoy it.

Enjoy the journey.
eal51 in western CT

o

• Posted by larso1 So. CO Zone 5 (My Page) on
    Tue, May 17, 11 at 23:07

And don't forget about Bercomac products in Quebec. They don't make loaders but they do make tillers, blades, rotary brooms, snowblowers and winter cabs for popular GT's including the X500 series, and some LT's.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bercomac

o

This guy has a FEL on an X-748. Nice rig.

http://www.youtube.com/user/royrector#p/a/u/1/fVLZ-3mUdtM

o

eal51,

That X-540 sure is a nice machine, but the way I see it, I'd already be way over my needs with the X-500. I'm almost certain I'd be totally satisfied with the X-320/48" for that matter, however, since the dealers' only charging me $1k more for the X-500/54", it just strikes me as a much better deal. (More powerful motor, beefier tranny, bigger deck. bigger-better tires, locking-differential.

I should also mention, that I came across a lot more used tractors in the last couple of days. A week ago, I hardly found any. Must be a lot of guys trading-up out there lately. I'm talking about 3-cyl diesel tractors and the like. (4 w/drive Kubota, JD, and a Honda that looked very interesting). A lot more money, but a lot more tractor too. This sure gets contagious, doesn't it.

o

Check the pricing on that X748 with FEL and you'll be surprised to find that a JD sub-cut is less expensive.

By the time you similarly equip an X-748 with FEL and rear PTO and 3 point hitch the same as the JD sub-cut they get VERY pricey.

o

By "sub-CUT", are you referring to something like the JD 2305? I'll check those out tomorrow.

o

sub-cut... sub-compact uutility tractor

Like the JD 2305 or the new 1 series or the Kubota BX series

Utility tractors with 4wd, mid and rear PTOs, FEL, and three point hitch... just smaller

o

Well, I've put off going to the dealer again today. I still have too many unanswered questions before signing on the dotted line.

I just checked out the Bercomac accessories, and now I'm also curious about the sub-CUT tractors. My sales-rep is away at the moment, but I'll be speaking to him shortly, about accessories for the X-500.

Regarding the sub-CUT tractors, how much are we looking at, to get one equipped with a small backhoe? I'm thinking I must need my head examined, for even considering something like this, but I could see a few projects where something like this would be useful. I'm just not certain whether it would make more sense to hire someone for the job

o
1 series availability

Anybody know when the 1-series sub-CUTS will be available?

o

OK, just stop and take a deep breath...

Having the biggest toolbox is always best if money is no object but you're spiraling out of control.

From lawn tractor to garden tractor to sub-cut with FEL and now a back hoe.

You need to evaluate the jobs you want to do and the frequency of those jobs.

Almost anything will mow. A garden tractor will mow faster and longer and do other jobs with a longer service life.

A sub-cut will mow even faster and afford the luxury of attachments and implements that are an order of magnitude up from garden (X500) or super garden (X7xx) at a price.

Unless you envision frequent need for an FEL and backhoe why pay to have one sit around not being used? You can always rent a sub-cut with FEL and backhoe when you need one.

On the other hand, if you can afford it BUY EVERYTHING you want and have fun!

BTW, you can go to the dealer and do research... leave your pen and checkbook at home for a while till you get a handle on which way makes the most sense for you to go... and go to other dealers while you're doing your homework.

o

Believe me justalurker, there's no "spiraling out of control" going on here. I'm just trying to put all these things into proper perspective. Heck, a week ago, I didn't even know the difference between an X-3xx and an X-5xx series. In all honesty, I'm even having trouble justifying spending $6k on a tractor for mowing roughly 1/3 of an acre, in an area where we only mow 5 months a year. If it weren't for my sore back, I wouldn't even be thinking about one of these tractors. The light-duty ground=engagement accessories are of no interest to me whatsoever.

Now, I've basically decided I want the X-500 because of the locking differential and serviceable transaxle. I'm comfortable with the price difference.

Where I might be interested in a heavier-duty tractor, would be for landscaping projects, and as I see it, that's a whole n'uther ball-o-wax. Someone recommended that I take a look at the upcoming 1-series sub-CUT tractors, but I can't find any specific information regarding those tractors. I haven't got a clue as to what price-range those will be going for.

Getting back to the X-500 for a moment, I have no idea what accessories I should consider, as this is my first-ever lawn tractor. I've never used a plug-aerator for example. Is this something I should consider? What about a lawn-roller? A cart? Which cart?

If I had a dealer nearby, it would be a piece-of-cake to go have a look-see, but that's not the case. The guy I'm currently dealing with, I've only talked to over the phone. I have no idea what his inventory looks like, and my understanding is, he doesn't presently have an X-500 "in-stock". Getting a hold of this guy is not always easy either. I've been waiting almost 5 hours today alone, waiting for him to return a call. He was out delivering a tractor today.

o

I'm not sure I'd buy any first year product even from JD. While the 2305 is now a known commodity, both it's pluses and minuses, the new 1 series is vaporware but when it is released it will replace the 2305.

As far as what to buy with an X500, IMO the important decision is the pricier attachments at time of tractor purchase so you get the grand-fathered warranty. Rollers and aerators and carts are relatively inexpensive while snow blowers, tractor shovels, and tillers are not and can be added into the 0% financing and you get the grand-fathered warranty.

I use a metal roller to dress my gravel driveway and it works great. I use my 44" blower all winter and it's earned it's cost back many times. I bought the 10P cart out of self defense and it has proven to be handy... especially when I'm feeling lazy.

I agree that the cost difference from an X320 to an X500 is a good investment and will pay off down the road. A sleeve (integral) hitch for the X500 with a Brinley box scraper on the rear is handy to have and has many uses.

o

Okay, I just got off the phone with my rep, and hopefully, I'll be seeing him tomorrow. He's confirmed that he has reserved an X-500 for me, but he has not yet received it.

The accessories I'm leaning towards are a 10P cart, a cover, and probably the brush-guard. The snow-blower could be an option, but I have to really think about that one, as there are pro's and cons. Selling my Honda would cover the cost of the blower attachment, but I might not be able to access my patio with a tractor.

We talked about a lawn-roller, and a plug-aerator, but having never used one, I have no idea what the benefit would be.

As for the box-scraper, what is it used for? How much are these devices?

There sure is a heckuva lot to think about when you're new to buying these things. It certainly adds to the versatility of the tractor, but it's also quite a leap from my current one-dimensional view; a beefy lawn tractor. I'd hate to be kicking myself a month after buying it, for not getting an attachment that I should have bought.

Just for kicks, what's a tiller worth?

o

I opted for the JD seat cover. About $30 US and saves a lot of wear and tear on the seat.

To use any sleeve hitch attachment you need the integral hitch, about $300. The Brinley box scraper (about $200) is useful for leveling and grading.

Take some time to review the JD web site and read up on all the attachments for the X5xx and also Google around. You'll get lots of links to read. You can also get some good feedback from customer reviews on the Sears web site about attachments and accessories.

With respect, you should do a lot more homework before you pull the trigger to be confident in your choices of accessories.

o

I agree I should do more homework. Getting into this stuff has raised an awful lot of questions that I hadn't previously anticipated. When I initially approached this, I was looking strictly at mowing. I may discover for example, that a walk-behind self-propelled commercial lawn-mower, may have been all I really needed at my present address, or, hiring someone to do the mowing for me. I have to weigh that, against the depreciation of the tractor I buy.

On the other hand, I'm pretty confident that the tractor is a good buy "as is", and that I've gotten a pretty fair deal, considering my market area. Judging by the local resale market, it looks like these things get snatched up VERY quickly, and that gives me the confidence to proceed. I'll chalk it up to a learning experience.

o

That pendulum is swing a pretty wide arc now! :^)

o

Mownie; quote "That pendulum is swing a pretty wide arc now! :^)"

It sure is, and the clock is tickin' too. ;^)

Several developments tonight;

1. I spoke to a guy who does lawn maintenance work. I've been trying to get a hold of this guy for the last three days. It seems the going rate for lawn care, is $25./hr. for a push-mower job, and $65./hr for a large deck tractor. Rough estimate says $2k./season. Pardon me if I feel a little faint when I read those numbers. That's crazy, or, I'm completely out of touch with the real world. These guys are doing this "under-the-table" too.

2. We discussed whether or not I'd be able to do my slopes with a self-propelled lawnmower, and he said that it should work. Of course, he's rendering this opinion over the phone, based on seeing my property as he drives by. I dunno,,,, I've had my push-mower flip over on me, on several occasions. Hairy stuff when it happens.

3. I paced off the property tonight, to get a rough idea of how much sq. footage I have of flat surface vs slopes. There's roughly 6000 sq, ft. occupied by the house/patio/driveway, and roughly 4000 sq. ft of very steep slope that is "trimmer only" territory. Even with golf shoes, I have trouble standing on that slope. It's also very rocky in places.

That leaves about 17,000 sq. ft. which is 55-60% "flat", and 40-45% sloped. Roughly 9-10,000 sq, ft, for the flat, and 7-8000 sq, ft. for the somewhat-mowable slopes. On average, it takes me three times longer to do the slopes, than it does to do the flats. It's real "bull" work, and dangerous too. I've fallen on several occasions, despite wearing golf shoes.

I dunno,,,, I'm going to bring pics to the John Deere rep tomorrow, so he can see first hand what I'm dealing with. I'll go with his recommendation.

o

Tell the JD dealer to bring an X5xx out to your house so you can try it before you make up your mind.

You'll still have the advantage of the JD Promise... 30 day return for full refund. Make sure the 30 day Promise is offered in Canada.

Have you ever heard of Slammer's Rules?

Here they are...

1. Carefully evaluate the size mower you need and buy at least one size larger.

2. NEVER buy a mower from ANYPLACE that will not let you test drive it or at least a similar model. Ergonomics are just as important as performance and capability.
(Vitally important!)

3. DO NOT base your purchase on price or brand name alone! Do proper research and find all of the available models that fit your criteria and haggle, save, or trade to get the right equipment for the job. Do not compromise!

If you follow these three tips you will end up a happy camper with just the right unit for the job. If you disregard this advice your gonna end up with One or the other of the following problems:

A. Buyers remorse. Stuck with a piece of junk or simply a unit inadequate for the task at hand.

Or..

B. A teed off spouse when you start shopping for another tractor just 3 - 6 months down the road because you didn't buy the right unit in the first place.

o

The bigger the stick the more upkeep, going to a garden tractor from a lawn tractor was a bit more, to a compact a bit more, air cooled to liquid a bit more.If you keep em up theyl last and my neighbors dont even given the luxury of a garage.

o

Those are good rules for sure. In my case though, it looks though, like I'm over-buying,,, not the reverse. It's those darned slopes though, that have me so frustrated. I've got to find some way of reducing the time requirement for dealing with those, and the tractor does not address that issue,

I know that the tractor would be overkill for dealing with my flat areas. Maybe it's wishful thinking to assume I'll somehow reduce the overall workload by doing at least a part of those slopes with the tractor.

I'm off to see the dealer shortly, and I'll have a good chat with him. I'll be bringing pictures too. The 30-day guarantee sounds interesting, so I'll discuss that with him.

Bottom line,,, I need a "complete", rather than a partial solution.

Where do professional lawn-maintenance guys shop? Surely, there's got to be something out there, other than consumer-level self-propelled lawn-mowers for dealing with steeply sloped area. Most of the self-propelled mowers that I've seen, have inadequate wheels for traction when climbing. I wish I could find a "Fly-Mo", or even a decent low center of gravity mower like the old Lawn-Boys, or Toro's. Something that wouldn't tend to flip over from being too top-heavy, when I mow diagonally across a slope.

o

You know that the contour of the property is the most important consideration. If you intend to mow everything then the mower will have to be capable of mowing the most difficult area and it will loaf along the easy areas.

If I were you I'd have the dealer bring a couple pieces he recommends out to the property to be sure they will do the job.

Professional lawn maintenance guys are subject to the law of gravity the same as homeowners. You can always bring in a pro once and see what he uses and IF it works on your slopes.

o

Re "Laws of gravity/pro's"; agreed,,, it's the small commercial lawn-mowers I'm referring to. Something with adequate wheels, low center of gravity, and either 2-stroke, or pressure-lubed. That one of the things I'll be discussing with the JD rep.

I'm off to J.D. Wish me luck. .-))

o
KerrrrSSSPLAaaaaaaasssHH !!!

I just took the plunge. ;-)) Brand spanking new X-500 on the way. Scheduled for delivery on Wednesday, the 25th.

o

Let us know how the X500 handles the slopes. Remember, you can add 100 lbs of wheel weights on the rear for stability and there are also front wheel weights available.

o

I brought pictures with me today, and the rep looked at 'em, and smiled,,,,"piece-of-cake" he says. My eyes were as big as saucers. He told me he'd show me himself when he delivers it, so, I told him to make sure he brings a helmet, and his health-insurance card.;-))

In any case, he did guarantee my satisfaction, or they take it back, so there ya go.

I added a few extras, and the invoice is still open 'til delivery day, in case I wanna add some more goodies. I added the 17p cart, the brush guard, a cover, a maintenance kit. In his opinion, he says I don't need weights. Hmmmm.

He gave me a killer deal as far as I'm concerned. He took another $80. off the base-price, and, he told me they had a "special event" weekend last weekend, and they were offering special deals on accessories. Too bad I missed the special on the 17P cart he says. Then he says, what the heck, I'll give you that deal if you want it,,, $350. Sold!

o

Yup, everybody don't need weights until they buy them.

o

Latest news, the machine arrives next Friday, the 27th (my fault, I forgot I had a previously scheduled appointment on the planned delivery date) That gives me a week to seriously consider options and upgrades.

Here's a conundrum; When I went to the first dealer, he told me the X-500 came with HDAP rears, and indeed, he had an X-500 in the showroom, with HDAP rears. He said they install HDAP rears on all the X-500's they sell. When I went to the 2nd dealer, he didn't have an X-500 in-stock, and I assumed the tractor I ordered would have HDAP rears. On close examination of the brochure, it seems this may not be the case, hmmmmmmmm. I'll call the dealer tomorrow.

How best to handle this? How much is a set of HDAP rears for an x-500? Should the dealer charge me only the "difference" in cost?

Also, I ordered a "cover" for the tractor. I didn't see one "in the flesh", nor did I ask what it costs. Turns out, it's $228. + tax = $262. Is it worth the price? or should I simply buy a tarp? The tractor is going to "sleep outside" for a few months, until I build a garden-shed.

o

X500s come with turfs. HDAPs are a big improvement over the OEM turfs. Some dealers down here will trade out HDAPs for turfs even up and some charge quite a bit for the change.

HDAPs through JD are much more expensive than through tire shops or online. HDAPs for the X500 rear are 24x12-12 Carlisle Field Trax tires and can be a real PITA to mount.

Down here the covers are under $100 so I have no idea what your dealer is selling you for $228 unless it is a shed.

click here for $80 tractor cover

You don't need a brochure... the JD web site will show you exactly how each model is equipped and what attachments and accessories are available.

I suggest you get your ducks in a row and straighten out exactly how you want your X500 with your dealer BEFORE he orders it in. If you don't get the deal you want then shop elsewhere.

o

Thanks for that "cover" link. I'm having trouble finding some of these smaller accessories on JD's website. I find all the bigger attachments, tillers, blades, blowers,etc, but small items,,, nope. I'm having a heckuva time navigating the site for some reason. The "online shopping" is also not available here in Canada it seems. It's a bit frustrating, especially since my dealer is quite far away.(several hours round trip) Sorry for being a PITA.

o

GGOGLE is yout friend... you can pretty much GOOGLE anything and it will come up with places to buy.

I GOOGLED john deere tractor cover and up it came.

You can also GOOGLE the part or accessory number that is in the brochure.

o
Favourite eBay vendors, JD accessories.

Turns out the $228. cover was the wrong part number. It's a large cover for the CUT series.

I've started checking around eBay. Do any of you guys have favourite vendor for JD gear?

o

There are quite a few places to buy JD online but rarely ever discounted and I'm not sure who will ship to Canada.

From the posts I've seen from Canadians it's cheaper to go to your dealer than pay shipping and duty bringing stuff in from the US.

There ought to be big JD dealers in Canada who ship all over the country.

o

Hey LawnJohn, Are we still on schedule with the X500? I have been following this thread and have appreciated the guidance justalurker has given me as well. I wonder if he is a John Deere rep? Probably not. Hopefully my X530 will be delivered tomorrow and the wheather will be nice. Enjoy yours! Or have you moved into the X7xx series? If mine doesn't come soon, I may.

o

Hi Tubby175,

No X-500 just yet. It was re-scheduled for Friday (tomorrow), but rain is forcast, so we've decided to wait 'til Monday. I was at the dealers' today, to see if my accessories were properly ordered/installed, etc, and the tractor had not arrived there either.

I'm still shopping like mad though. If the X-500 doesn't work out on my steep slopes, I may consider an alternative. Today I was speaking to a dealer that carries Stiga riding mowers; specifically, the 4 wheel-drive Stiga Park Pro. Yesterday, I also looked at the Walker mowers,,,,,VERY impressive, but not 4wd. $$$$ too.

Tomorrow (Friday), I'm going to see a dealer that has a brand new 2010 Stiga Park Pro 4wd, and I understand he's ready to take a loss on the machine. It was originally ordered for a client, then the client sold his house, and no longer needed the machine. He wants $6k apparently, and I believe the machine sells for $9k or therabouts. It's really amazing to watch that machine handle steep slopes and inclines. At some point tomorrow, I'll also be visiting a Kubota dealer, to check out their small 4wd tractors.

I also looked at a few other types of mowers today, including a self-propelled Toro commercial 21", and some 32" Toro commercial walk-behinds.

Another machine that might interest me, is a Castelgarden 4wd mower.

Anyhow, it's certainly been a crash-course learning experience over the last few weeks.

o

I'm hooked on the JD brand as well as being a Chevy guy. I'm loyal as long as the brand holds up to my use. Chevy has never let me down and I have an JD STX30 that is about 25 years old with out any problems other than a few batteries and blade replacements. It is not mine originally as I am 37 and did not buy it at 12. It was my brothers and it was loned to me about 5 years ago. I will consider a Kuboto when I am ready to purchase something bigger, but will not get a mower attachment for it. I have always liked the way they look and they do have a good reputation. The X530 should carry me well into my 50's without a problem. Especially now that I won't have to shovel my driveway every time we get snow. I am slightly regretting spending the extra on the X530, but after driving it, the power steering and power deck had me hooked. I am also hoping the 54" verses the 48" will be a good choice for balancing my mow time as with the 530 you don't get the choice. Good luck with whatever you choose and thanks for making me not the only mower decision crazy person out there.

o

When I was in the market for a tractor Kubota was in my sights .I looked at them and for the price and type I was looking for Deere all the way and never even considered a Cub, The Deere dealer is 20 miles away and a parts guy lives down the street .I order parts and he delivers them to me cant beat that. This is one company I stand by ,my family are farmers and at least here its John Deere country .What makes me laugh is the same people that say duy domestic and have a domestic vehicle in their drive have a Kubota tractor funny thing.... and nothing against the brand. Bottom line if you are getting good service with a brand stick with it , if you feel patriotic thats even better.

o

Pssst... Yanmar builds the 2305 for JD and IIRC builds a VERY similar product for Cub Cadet.

In today's world economy sometimes only the color changes.

o

You are right .

o

Uh Oh !!! Could be a change in plan. This morning, while surfing the net for machines that are good on steeper slopes, I came across this video. I gotta tell ya, I was MIGHTY impressed.

Off I went to the local Kubota dealer, to see the Kubota GR 2110/54 4 wheel-drive, liquid-cooled diesel engine tractor with a 54' deck. Now I've got some number-crunching to do over the weekend, but this tractor is looking very appealing at the moment.

I'm wondering what model of JD garden tractor this Kubota would compare to? Does JD offer 4wd in anything under the X748?

Here is a link that might be useful: Kubota 4wd on steep slope.

o

John,

You're asking for trouble. Kubota does great REAL tractors but the net is rife with people railing about the 4wd GR series and all the problems. Short warranty and VERY costly repairs.

When you price (and sit down when you do) the Kubota GR compare it to the JD X7xx with 4wd... MUCH smarter move and Simplicity has a tractor in that size that you should consider.

o

Justalurker, looks like my Kubota enthusiasm is now waning slightly. I've just spent a few hours researching it, and I'm still not clear if the issues are strictly associated with the "older" 2110 models. Gonna keep digging deeper tonight.

The dealer wants $8700. for the tractor w/54" deck, and 4 years at 2.49%. Looks like I'd have to go to $12k or more for a 4wd JD.

The crazy part about all this research I've been doing over the last two weeks,,,, I still have yet to find the "perfect" tractor for my yard/slopes. My favourite deck-configuration by far, is the Walker design. The problem is, it's very expensive, and not 4 wd. The Stiga Park Pro 4wd is very nice, but, no new ones available locally, and no financing options. Bummer.

The Kubota dealer I spoke to today, has an "F" series commercial front-deck mower with low hours on it. I think I'll call him in the morning, to get the scoop on that machine. I'll also find out the difference between the GR 2110 vs the (newer??)GR 2120.

o

Hey John,

I realize the thrill of the hunt is greater than mowing the lawn BUT... why not wait till the X530 shows up and see if it does the job?

NOTHING will be as valuable to you in making your decision as getting the hardware in your yard.

Before I'd buy a GR Kubota garden tractor I'd buy a BX subcut with MMM and FEL and sit back, grin, and move dirt.

o

It's the X-500 that I ordered. I couldn't get a decent deal on the X-530. I most certainly will give the JD a chance to tackle my slopes, but the more I learn about these machines, the more skeptical I'm becoming. Coming down a 30-40 degree slope might be one thing, but going back up is another story all together.

If I end up using the X-500 only for the flatter areas of my property, then I probably wasted money. An X-320 would have been more than enough for that scenario, I presume.

Still, I think I got a good deal on the X-500, so I won't kick. If I can do "a reasonable proportion" of my slopes with the X-500, and finish the job with a self-propelled mower,,, so be it.

It's also worth noting that up here in Quebec, all the "deals" expire May 31st. That's only 3 days away, and that's why I'm scrambling to find the right solution.

o

I think the X500's ability to go UP will surprise you if you've got HDAPs on the rear. Mine climbs just fine... going down would worry me. EVERY front mowing rider I've ever used is REALLY hairy going down.

o

It's funny you mention that. The Stiga dealer said the same thing about going down steep slopes. He attributed that "hairy feeling" to the tall seating position, and the visual-perspective of having nothing but deck in front of you.

As we speak, I'm waiting for Kubota to return my call. I've gotta check-out the difference between the GR 2110 vs the (newer??)GR 2120, and I wanna discuss the BX series tractors. I have no time to get to the dealership, as they're all closed Saturdays at noon, and closed Sundays. That leaves me only two shopping days to get this done. There's still no word about my X-500, and whether it's arrived at the JD dealership.

o

It isn't a hairy feeling it is a hairy ride.

If you like hairy rides get any zero turn on slopes...

Another way of saying tall seating position is high center of gravity which is NOT conducive to stability on downhills.

My X500 with HDAPs and wheel weights is incredibly stable even going sideways along some pretty steep ditches (not really smart to do). With 4 suitcase weights on back even more stable. For max stability I'd add a couple three or four suitcase weights on the front and then it would take a real bonehead move to tip it over.

o

Well. it's a beautiful, sunny Monday morning here, and my John Deere sales rep just paid me a visit. First off, he didn't come with the tractor, because he hasn't received it yet. The tractor is en-route from another one of their 12 locations, and apparently, the tractor doesn't have HDAP's on it yet.

The rep and I, took a good look at my slopes, and it appears that they're way too steep in some areas. This is exactly what I was afraid of. Furthermore, even the shallower angled slopes can only be done from top-to-bottom, but not the other way around. This means that I would have to descend the slope, then circle all the way around my property to come up my driveway (300' away, at the opposite corner), drive across my lawn for several hundred feet, so I could take a second pass down those slopes, and drive all the way around again for each pass down the slopes. I'd have to repeat that process 60-65 times. This is not good, but I'm somewhat not surprised.

No matter what tractor I go with, I'll still have to use a walk-behind mower and/or grass-trimmer to deal with a good proportion of those slopes. Today, I think I'll buy a Toro commercial self-propelled 21" mower, and see how that goes on the slopes, and if that works out, I may have to forget about a lawn tractor altogether. With the slopes taken care of, that leaves roughly 1/4 acre of relatively flat lawn to mow. There wouldn't be much point in buying a tractor for that limited area. As it stands now, I'm doing the entire 10,000 sq,ft. flat area in 90 minutes, with a push-mower.

With only 1/4 acre of "flats" to mow, an X-500 strikes me as complete overkill, so I'm going to hunt around for a few days, to see if I can find something smaller on the used market.

Now, I've also been looking at some Kubota 4wd tractors over the weekend, and the Kubota rep will be passing by in a few hours, to take a first-hand look at my slopes. I'll see what he has to say. If a 4wd BX-1860 can't handle my slopes, maybe I'll just buy some goats. ;-))

o

Caterpillar D6 or above and fix the slopes...

o

I just bought a Toro 21" commercial self-propelled mower. Very nice unit, and it should take care of those areas where the tractor won't/can't go. It's model # 22156, w/Honda 190cc commercial engine. All aluminum body, 3 way unit (mulch/rear-bag/side-discharge).

I just fired it up (1st pull), and the darned thing was almost pulling me around the yard, ;-)) That's gonna take a little getting used to. It was actually pulling wheelies from time-to-time.

I absolutely love the all-metal levers/handles/steel-wheels on bearings, etc. Total weight is 87 lbs I believe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Toro 21

o

John,

You didn't ask this question in this forum but since I know the answer and they don't and I stopped posting over there a ways back...

No, the 7 Iron deck won't work on the X5xx anything because... X7xx mowing decks are shaft driven and not belt driven... duh. The John Deere know-it-alls at that other forum should know that without even having to think..

o

... and the resale on new Kubota GRs... you will take a rippin' bath if you go to resell it. They're not great sellers new and the demand in the used market seems to be even less without a warranty.

Resale value on the Kubota BX series (any model) is right up there with JD.

When I was shopping people were asking 90% of the price new for late modem BX sub-cuts and getting it quickly.

o

That lil' BX sure is a sweet machine. Built like a tank.

I didn't realize the X7xx decks were shaft-driven. After digging into this stuff over the last few weeks, it's easy to see that the residential upscale Garden tractor/sub-CUT market, is a pretty hotly contested segment.

o

Seems to me that one either gets a lawn tractor to mow if the yard is too big for a walk behind or gets a garden tractor for a bigger yard and hauling and snow removal and such that a lawn tractor won't do or strain to.

Super garden tractors like the X7xx and the GR Kubotas are kind of neither here nor there. They cost almost or as much as a sub-cut, and sometimes more, and aren't quite as flexible as a sub-cut.

I've had a little time on a high end X7xx diesel 4wd and a Kubota BX. The JD was more expensive and the BX was superior IMO in every way for not that much more or the same or a little less $$$. I could easily see buying a BX and never buying another tractor but it is more than I need for my 2 acres.

I definitely wouldn't look at the new JD 1 series for a couple years and it actually isn't here now which is very interesting in itself.

The BX is a tried and true series that resolved it's nit picky annoyances years ago and you seem to have a good Kubota dealer in your area. You can buy a BX without FEL and with a MMM and a snow blower with front PTO and then add the FEL later if you need one. In the meantime you can add any rear three point class 1 attachment you want... even a rear snow blower.

o

Well, here we are, sixteen days after signing for my X-500, and there's still no sign of it yet. The dealer says they've received it, but are waiting for my HDAP's and brush-guard to come in. Maybe I shoulda asked if he also had a bridge in Brooklyn he'd like to sell. Hmmmm !!!

In the meantime, I haven't stopped looking at alternatives. The new shaft-driven (PTO & tranny)Kubota GR 2120 looks VERY appealing right now,, as does the BX-1860.

Tic-toc-tic-toc

If I don't get a firm delivery date this coming week, I'm jumping ship. The only news or updates I've received, came after I called "them". They have not once called me to advise about progress or hold-ups. This is not good.

o

BX-1860... the smart move and be done with it.

o

John,

You continue to be a gluten for misinformation...

If I had your email addy I could set you strait and save you a lot of typing but I guess I'll have to do it the hard way.

The snow blower for the X500 and X520 is the 44". The 47" blower is TOO HEAVY for the foot pedal lift. The 47" is recommended for the X530 and X540 models that have hydraulic lift. You can use the 44" blower on the X530 and X530 and it works just fine.

Regarding traction problems... my X500 will limb any thing I've tried including drainage ditched with the 44 blower on it with two 50 lb wheel weights and 4 suitcase weight on the back and HDAPs on the rear. I have had to step on the diff lock button a could times but still haven't needed to put the chains on.

Along with adding weight for traction the wheel weights and 4 suitcase weights lower the center of gravity of the tractor making it more stable.

There are also wheel spacers that one can get that are meant for another JD model that will widen the stance of the rear wheel for more stability if desired. My first hand experience has shown me that the spacers are not necessary for my ditch climbing and crossing.

Rather than wait for the X500 that you ordered to actually see what it does or doesn't do you second guess yourself with no actual experience while being constantly misinformed by those you're asking question of who know less than you do.

o

Thanks Justalurker, I really appreciate the feedback. Sorry my email address is not linked in my preferences here. I get an error message whenever I try to add it, so I gave up.

It really is frustrating, trying to dig up info on the new tractor. I've had virtually zero communication with my dealer/sales-rep, since I signed, and that was three weeks ago tomorrow. After several calls to the dealership on Monday, I finally got to speak to my rep. I explained to him the importance of communication, and he apologized for not keeping me informed. He said he'd call back the next day with a progress report,,,, but nope. I called another JD dealership, but he couldn't match the price I got, because the "special" on my tractor, ended May 31st. I really want this deal to work out, so I'm being extra-patient, but there's a limit.

As far as accessories are concerned, I'd LOVE to have freer dialogue with my sales-rep, but what's the point? I try to get info at various websites, but the JD model numbers are so darned confusing, it's crazy. Even those with the same model number, but different years of manufacture are different. I'm hesitant to call the sales-rep, and getting totally fed-up with the experience. They've lied to me about receiving the tractor (was told different stories by different people I spoke to at the dealership), and tomorrow, I may just do a surprise visit, to see what the heck is going on.

I've just re-injured my back again, Monday night (it's now Wednesday afternoon), and I'm having trouble standing, let alone walking and pushing a lawn-mower up and down slopes. Furthermore, I got a call last week, telling me they're going to have cut-backs at work, and there's a possibility, I could be "bumped" out of my job.(seniority) Not good. I'll know Monday (13th). If the tractor is not here by then, and I do get "bumped", I'm canceling.

o

John,

If a dealer treats a customer badly BEFORE the sale that dealer is telling the customer how he/she will be treated AFTER the sale. Regardless of how good the deal is, RUN from that dealer as fast as you can.

o

Hold the presses !!!! I just got a call from my sales rep 1/2 hour ago. They finally wanna deliver my tractor. None of the accessories I ordered are in yet, but they say they'll deliver and install those items later. (brush-guard and HDAP rears). Looks like it'll be here Friday (2 days).

Question; How can I be sure it's a 2011 model? Will it say so somewhere on the tractor? serial-numberperhaps?

o

It's a 2011 if there one hole in either side of the floor for the allen wrench that adjusts the deck level.

The dealer has had ample time to get the accessories and hos communication still SUCKS. I'd still cancel the order

o

Believe me, it's tempting. I really want this deal to work however, because the alternative is $10k +. (4wd Kubota GR-2120, or BX-1860.) I need the locked differential at a minimum, so anything less that an X-500 is a non-starter for me.

I gave my rep a bit of an earful today, regarding accessories/attachments. This is a subject that could have been covered much more thoroughly in my opinion. Finding pricing info here in Canada, was a futile exercise for the most part. I need a good solid discussion about what exactly is available and compatible with my machine, as well as the pro's and cons of those items. What are the trade-offs? What are the limitations? Do "some" attachments conflict with other? Will I be able to add attachments later? That sort of thing.

Example, if I want the John Deere 40" bucket, does that mean I have to remove the brush-guard? Do I need some sort of lift-capability on the tractor, or does the bucket operate independently? If I add a front weight bracket, will that interfere with the bucket, etc. Those are the things that a noob like myself, can't possibly know. These subjects have to be discussed, so I can make a satisfactory choice of tractor and add-ons.

Take the issue of hydraulic lift for example; it wasn't until I read a thread on operating a front-blade, and a snow-blower, that I even remotely considered the desirability of hydraulic-lift vs manual lift. If I had clearly understood that from the beginning, perhaps I would have ordered "more tractor".

The problem with being a noob, is that you don't even know what questions should be asked. There's more to it than just considering "do I want a bucket" for example. I'm quite certain that down the road, I'll kick myself for not being a bit better informed as to what choices I should have made.

If I were a sales-rep or manager, I'd immediately draw-up or develop an information template, for dealing with noob customers. Inform them thouroughly on what to look for and consider, and give them the tools to make a thorough and confident decision. That's a win-win for the dealer, the rep, the client, and John Deere. I'd also keep a schedule, for promised deliveries, and if for some reason, those dates cannot be met, at least inform the customer, so he doesn't feel abandoned or ignored. It's amazing how patient folks can be, if they're just kept informed of what's really happening, and why. No B.S., just some good old fashion communication and honesty.

o

We Be Answers here... but you go elsewhere. I type my fingers to the bone helping you and what thanks do I get?

The JD shovel works with the brush guard
The JD shovel has it's own electric lift independent of the tractor.

If you had gone to the link I provided... http://www.superior-tech.com/docs/LP40000_manual.pdf ... and downloaded the manual you could have answered your own questions.

If you went to the link I provided... http://www.superior-tech.com/docs/40_ts_infosheet.pdf ... and downloaded the product info sheet you would have seen a pretty picture of an X540 with the 40" tractor shovel AND a brush guard on it.

Front weight bracket works with the 40" tractor shovel and it clearly says that when you look at the front bracket on the JD web site.

If you've decided that you want an X530 then change your order BEFORE delivery and ONLY pay today's difference between an X500 and an X530.

o

Quote;

"We Be Answers here... but you go elsewhere. I type my fingers to the bone helping you and what thanks do I get?"

????

I've thanked you multiple times, and I really do appreciate all the info you've offered. I go "elsewhere", to get as much perspective as I can while I'm waiting for my tractor; not only about JD's, but Kubotas too. Wouldn't you if you were new at this?

I was also hoping to hear from fellow Canucks, to see what they've encountered or experienced. Sorry if that offends you.

o

Geez John... lighten up... humor, remember humor?

The only Canuck over there that knows anything is Stladrill (Stefan). He is a very good fabricator but as you already noted his X300, or X366 as he calls it, answers the question that no one asked and that is... can you spend more money on something other than what you should have bought and end up with less?

His cab is really nice but he has more money in his X300 than an X500 and a lighter duty trans without diff lock and a smaller engine. I admire his work but I'll keep my X500.

I look forward to seeing what you end up with and whether you're happy with it.

o

I'm sure that after the initial anxiety and shopping frenzy is over, it'll all be worthwhile. Looks like it's going to be a beautiful sunny delivery day; dry, and 70 degrees. Should be ideal for a few test-drives down some shallower parts of my slopes.

I guess I've also got 30 days for the final configuration of my tractor, so there may be some extras added before it's all over. The JD bucket looks really nice, but I find it pretty expensive for what it is. Sure would be handy though. There's quite a few areas of my lawn that could do with a good top-dressing.

I'm very divided about adding a grass-catcher/blower. I'd probably use it during dandelion season, and for picking up leaves. A sweeper might be fine too, but from what I read, good ones are hard to find these days, and quite expensive. A thatcher would probably do a lot of good too. My poor lawn's been neglected for a good while, so it's time to turn things around.

This new tractor, has really sparked a renewed interest in caring for my property. I've been out there almost every day for the last few weeks, trimming shrubs, bushes, trees, etc. Luckily, I got most of it done before I hurt my back again.

o

John,
So far my X530 is sweet. I would like to offer you more on how great these machines are, but have only had mine for about 2 weeks. And unfortunatly, the grass isn't growing right now (need rain). I've got 1.7 hours on it and am aching to use it.

I have 2 local dealers that are about 7 minutes from my house in each direction (they are affiliated). My rep is lucky I am very easy going. The first 2 times I visited, he told me to just read the brochures because he didn't have time to spend with me. But I do understand busy schedules. He did spend time with me later in the game, and (he) learned quite a few things by it. Being a mechanical engineer I tend to be very detailed in my questions. My final bill came to about $9000. My family and friends think I'm nuts for spending that kind of money (most have a box store mower). My yard work is my only release from a very stressfull job. And you only live once. I have had a few classic cars rebuilt from scratch and all I can say is this hobby is way cheaper.

As for your choice with the X500. I would seriously consider going up to the X530 for the added hydraulic deck lift. Sounds like your back would thank you. It is however a bit more money and decisions must not be based on the "I Want it" factor alone. The spring assist works well, but I have a few back and neck problems myself, and the extra money was worth it for me.

I have done a lot of research as well on the 40" bucket, but have decided to go with the Johnny Bucket. It seems to have a bit more uses and I have yet to find a negative comment on their quality and customer service. I won't be adding this until early fall, so I have time to do more research. I did find some disatisfied comments on the JD bucket though. They just seemed to be unhappy with the quality, being it is John Deere, they expected more.

I am still waiting for my dealer to contact me for adding the bush gaurd, front bracket, weights and snow blower. It should be soon and I will get some detailed pics on here as well as a link to my You Tube page, with some video to add more to what people can look at when trying to decide what they want. I must say, there is very little content concerning the X5xx series on the web. Thanks to Justalurker and Stladrill (most came from them), it made it a little easier.

Enjoy your X500 (if that is what you end up with, and if it ever gets delivered). I think you'll be happy with it, but will always want more.

o

Thanks Tubby175, and I agree there's not much on the web, regarding the X-500 series. What there is, is different from my situation as well.

Here's an interesting developement; I just got a phone-call from the Kubota rep, to see if there was any news about my X-500. I told him that the machine was scheduled to arrive tomorrow, and that I'll finally have the opportunity to test it on some of my slopes. So far, I've only done brief test-drives on flat surfaces at the dealers. Well, it turns out that the Kubota rep wants to bring a machine to my place, possibly tomorrow, to see how they compare. This should be very interesting, if it actually materializes. The machine he'd be bringing is the GR-2120 4wd diesel garden-tractor.

Now the GR-2120 is quite a bit more money ($9200. vs $5200.) but Kubotas' financing up here, is much more attractive than what J.D. Canada is offering, which is 0% for 12 mo. or 4.9% over 44 mos. Kubota is offering 0% for 30 mos, and a bunch of other options, including leasing/ buy-back options, at 2.4%.

JD's warranty suits my needs a bit better though, at 4 years/500 hours. Kubota is 3 years/ unlimited hours. I'll probably put very few hours on the machine over the next two years.

This will probably be an unfair comparison, but I will take all factors into account. The X-500 is really about as much as I want to spend for now. The GR-2120, has all the bells-and-whistles though; power everything; power-steering, 4wd, 3 cyl. liquid-cooled diesel, Glide-Steer system, premium "Fine-Cut" (6" deep?) 54" mowing-deck, premium "suspension- seat", cruise-control, hydraulic implement lift, shaft-driven tranny and deck,,,,you name it. Weighs 947 lbs.

The X-500 is faster (7.1 mph vs 6.2, and the rear tires are wider (12" vs 10.5"), 26hp vs 21hp, and 780 lbs. $4000. cheaper too. That buys a lot of "extras". I'm pretty certain I'll stick with the X-500.

o

John,

CORRECTION... the front weight bracket DOES NOT WORK WITH THE JD 40" TRACTOR SHOVEL. The brush guard does.

http://salesmanual.deere.com/sales/salesmanual/en_NA/lawn_equipment/attachments/bm23621_front_weight_bracket.html

Tubby,

The JB Jr has earned a great rep among those who bought them It is heavier duty than the JD Tractor Shovel.

Neither the JB Jr nor the JD Tractor Shovel are front end loaders. As is always the case, people try to get tools to do a tougher job than they were designed to and then complain when the tool fails trying to do so.

The JD Tractor Shovel has the advantage over the JB Jr that when bought with a JD tractor (on the same invoice) it is grandfathered under the tractor's (4 year - xxx hour) warranty which is longer than when purchased a la carte or the warranty of the JB Jr. The JD Tractor Shovel also will coexist with most JD accessories while the JB Jr may or may not. Bottom line... either choice is a good one with some common sense appkied after either is installed.

o

What do those Johnny Buckets sells for?

o

John,

You can easily Google this yourself...

Down here in the US the JD Tractor Shovel is $899.95 USD

http://www.rungreen.com/40-in-Tractor-Shovel-fits-X300-and-X500-Series_p_4224.html

... and the JB Jr with standard power dump is $1289.95 USD plus shipping.

http://www.johnnyproducts.com/J_Bucket_HTMs/JBpage_Jr_John-Deere-GTLX.htm

According to Stladrill he couldn't buy Johnny Products in Canada so he bought the JD 40" Tractor Shovel at his dealer.

o

Here is a link to the JB. Jr. The price starts at around $1300 for the kit. I would have gone for the JD 40" bucket, but did not want to get my payment that high. I think both would work well for my uses but the JB has electric angle as well (for an additional cost). The accesories I already purchased were a must. I will save the cash for the JB jr. I only plan on using it for some light dirt moving and maybe some grading. I will be adding the power hitch to the rear for the 38" box scraper by fall as well.

My X500 will not do everything I want a tractor to do, but I don't want to loose sight of the fact that I will spend most of my time mowing with it (very nice so far).

I also originally did not want the 54" deck. I really wanted the 48". I was afraid it would be too big, but I have actually found the opposite to be the case. I can get done faster and with the wider deck, leave a smaller uncut radius. I just have to take the powerflow off to get it in my shed (about 1 minute).

I have always liked Kabota and hold the name as high as John Deere. One will probably sit in my yard someday along with a few other much desired stuff. But my X530 will still be working hard and giving me some kind of peace. You've got some thinking and playing to do. As I said before, I'm glad to be done with the game of choosing a garden tractor. It should have been so much simpler. I do agree with justalurker. I'm not sure I would stay with that dealer.

Here is a link that might be useful: JB Jr.

o

I should contact stladrill, and let him know about an outfit called Kinec. This company provides a U.S. address for Canadian cross-border shoppers. They're located at most major border crossings. They're free to join, and they'll "receive" any goods you buy in the U.S., then hold it for you to pick-up. They just charge a small "space-rental fee", to hold your item for 30-days. If you can't get there in 30-days, they'll renew for another month. Very convenient, and highly worthwhile for us price-gouged Canucks.

There's no duties on U.S. made goods, and the taxes are the same percentage as we pay when shopping at home.

Customs looks at how much you payed, then converts that to Canadian dollars,,, then charges you the taxes on that amount. That's it. This is a terrific way to take advantage of the "free shipping anywhere in the lower 48-states" offers.

stladrill payed $1155. CDN, but he didn't say if that was taxes included. If not, then he payed 5% GST (goods & services tax), and 8.5% provincial sales-tax. Total= $1315,84

If he would have bought in the U.S. at $899.95 U.S., that would convert to $873,74 CDN. There would be no duties at the border, and he'd pay the 5% GST and 8.5% PST, for a total of $995.41 That assumes he payed no shipping fees between the vendor, and the border-crossing he had it shipped to.

If he crossed the border, and bought from an American dealer, he might have to pay states taxes at the time and point of purchase, but he can reclaim that expense. Many vendors can supply you with a tax exemption slip, if the merchandise is going to be exported.

o

I understood at the time that Stladrill couldn't find anyone who could order from Johnnyproducts and said they do not ship to Canada. He could have used a holding company like Kinec but I expect he valued easy access to parts and at least some warranty if necessary.

I'm sure that JD prohibits ANY authorized JD dealer from shipping out of country and JD would land really hard on a dealer in one country trying to get away with it.

Driving into the US and executing a personal purchase from Canada would work and you'd pay prevailing state sales tax at the location of purchase and duty at the Canadian border but there would be no warranty on the item as it was not intended for export out of the US.

Stladrill does things on the up and up and patronizes his dealer whenever possible. He was aware of the US pricing when he decided to buy the 40" Tractor Shovel in Canada.

IMO the JD Tractor Shovel does have a way slicker control arrangement rather than drilling two holes in the dash as you would for the JB Jr toggle switches.

o

That's correct, the warranty would be good only in the U.S. He could cross the border, and bring it to any JD dealer for warranty repair.

As for doing things on the up and up, there's nothing shady whatsoever about cross-border shopping. There's no limit on how much you can buy, or bring into Canada, as long as you pay the taxes.

JD has no say whatsoever, when selling a product within the USA. The buyer can do whatever he wants with it, including exporting the item.

I recently bought some pro-audio equipment in the US. The vendor could not sell that item into Canada, but offered free-shipping anywhere in the lower 48 states. My girfriend was vacationing in Florida, so I bought the item, and had it shipped free to her address in Florida. She in turn, shipped the item to me.($126. shipping via U.S. Postal Service) This was a very bulky 24-channel digital audio mixer, that weighed 56 lbs. My total cost, landed at my home, was $2930.(item and shipping) If I had bought it locally(Montreal), that same item would have cost me $4,360. It was very worthwhile in this instance.

When you buy online, they'll typically ask you for a billing address, and a shipping address. Assuming the vendor sells only in the U.S.A., then as long as that shipping address is a U.S. address, you're done. Once it's received at that address, then it becomes a private matter as to what the buyer does with the item.(export, etc)

Let's say I had the item shipped to Kinec in Champlain N.Y. We'll that's a 90 minute drive from Montreal, maybe less. I drive down, and fill up my car with your cheap gas (we pay $5.60/gallon), and drive back. The money I save on gas alone, pays for my 3 hour round-trip.

o

There are classes of products that are not intended to cross borders and there are classes of products that are legally restricted from crossing borders. There are numerous ways that a manufacturer can enforce both marketing areas and state and national borders with franchised dealers and it is done every day in pretty much every industry.

For sure anyone can drive anywhere they want and buy anything they want and bear the inconvenience and cost of travel and transport to buy whatever they want and then more inconvenience and more travel and more and more transport if they need warranty service.

By the up and up I was referring to Stadrill stating at the time that he favored doing business at his dealer to maintain that relationship.

o

To me, a business relationship is very important. I tend to be a very loyal customer too, once that business has earned my trust. Business and consumer relations, is a two-way street however.

If a business tries to screw its' customers for every nickle they can get, I'm outta there. If they sincerely try their best to make me happy, I'll be around for a heckuva long time. Example; I've been doing business with the same woodworking machinery & tool store, for over 35 years. I trust the people there, and respect their knowledge. They can't always match a deal that I happen to find, but I always go to them first, to see if they can get in the ball-park. I don't mind paying a bit more, as long as it's reasonable.

Unfortunately, there's way too many Canadian businesses that simply won't even try to compete. They still act as if our dollar was worth 69 cents U.S. They overprice stuff like crazy, then wail about Canadians buying in the states. This is the age of the global economy, and those old business models simply don't work anymore.

o

You're not the only place businesses are turning the tables...

Back in the day businesses generally appreciated their customers and let them know it.

As the years went by some businesses lost interest in cultivating and maintaining relationships with their customers but they were smart enough to continue the illusion that they cared.

Now, in too many instances, we don't even get the illusion.

Today's business model has inverted from the business exists for the convenience of the customer to the customer exists for the convenience of the business.

My local JD dealer is one of those hardliners who made the local Kubota dealer a millionaire. I will go to any length to not spend money with my local JD dealer, but I'd run spend money with my local JD dealer before I'd walk into your dealer's showroom based on how you relate that he's treated you.

o

My salesman seems like a heckuva nice guy. Maybe I'm naive, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now. He definitely needs to upgrade his communication-skills however, and should put himself in the shoes of the customer. Example; it's now 11:00 AM, Friday (delivery day). I have no idea when he will show up. He hasn't called.

As for the other departments at the dealership, I dunno. Maybe he's at the mercy of the "inner workings" of that company. I'm told they have 12 outlets here in Quebec.

Well, speak of the devil; my rep just called. Their delivery-truck is apparently way behind schedule, and is unavailable this afternoon, so it looks like tomorrow (Saturday) will be the new delivery day. One good thing,,, they've received my brush-guard, and it will be installed today.

No news from the Kubota rep yet. It's a beautiful day here, and the grass looks great, but ready for a good trim.

o

A salesman who doesn't/can't communicate is a CASHIER.

o

ROFLMAO,,,, goooood point !!!!

o

And I'm guessing a commission cashier to boot

o

Well, it's now 1:45 PM. I called Kubota to see what's going on, and the rep says he's leaving shortly for my place. He'll probably be here in 45 minutes. He's bringing a 4wd GR-2120. I'm excited about this, and it's a perfect day out there. I wanna see how this "mountain-goat" handles my slopes.

o

Well,,,,,,,, the Kubota's been here and now on it's way back to the dealership. I'm a bit speechless at the moment. This machine climbed slopes that I never imagined it could. VERY impressive machine. He actually showed up with the GR-2110, not the 2120. I was a bit surprised to see that this 2110 was also equipped with a shaft-driven deck and tranny, like the 2120.

This machine is built like a tank. I was amazed at how thick the frame was. It simply exuded "quality" from stem to stern. The deck was also very thick, and the depth was roughly 5". A nice clean look to the deck, and all the hardware seemed very robust. Mounting/dismounting also looked very simple, but the deck wheels don't rotate like the Deere deck, so I'd imagine it's a bit more work to install or remove the deck.

I was also VERY impressed by how quiet the machine was. No need to yell, to speak to someone standing next to the machine. You really get the impression this is a commercial-quality vehicle, and not a consumer-grade machine.

The "ride" on my very bumpy lot, was very hard on my just re-injured back, despite the fact that the seats' weight-setting was low. The tires also appeared to be inflated at a high pressure setting. I kicked the rear tires, and it was like kicking a stone wall, so I assume one could play with the pressure-setting, to get the desired ride quality on bumpy ground. I've driven this tractor on a smooth surface at the dealership, and it was a delight to drive. It's a bit slower than the X-500 (6.2 vs 7.1 mph)

The power-steering was also very nice. Very easy to turn and/or reverse with one hand, simply using the palm of my hand on the steering-wheel. I was also very impressed with the sharp turning radius.

Overall, I just don't know what to think at this point. I'm blown away with the performance and quality of this machine, but on the other hand, I think I've come to realize that this tractor is complete and utter overkill for my particular situation.

One negative was the tearing-up of some of my slopes, which really has nothing to do with the machine itself. No matter what machine I'd use, I'd get some tear-out on my slopes, because the sub-surface is land-fill,,, rocks, gravel, sand. There's just a thin layer of top-soil and grass, so I'm not surprised to see some tear-out, when this 900+ lb beast is climbing a 40-plus degree slope. It's inevitable with any machine,,,,even with my self-propelled 21" mower.

I'll leave it at that for now. I've got some SERIOUS thinking to do. What a machine!!!!

o

You will be equally impressed with other machines you test drive that are in the neighborhood of $10k. That is what ten thousand dollars gets you.

Test drive a JD X7xx diesel 4wd and a 2305 and then a Kubota BX

o

Yeah, I drove a BX-25 last week, complete with the backhoe and FEL. That was a heckuva machine too.

I really underestimated the GR-2110 though. Todays' demo has really shaken me up, and I'm not sure what to think at the moment. My head will be spinning 'til the X-500 gets here in the morning. Maybe that one is overkill too.

Tonight, I'm going to give some thought as to whether I want the tractor to do the slopes at all. I may even speak to the JD rep about down-sizing from an X-500, to the X-320 or X-324, with a 48" deck. I'll try the X-500 first, then go from there.

Uh oh, my JD rep just called again, and he can't come tomorrow. The delivery truck is "unavailable", so we've rescheduled for Tuesday, next week. I spoke to him about todays' Kubota experience, and the subject of tractor-overkill, as well as the possibility that I may reconsider the size of tractor that I need. He has therefore offered to bring two tractors when he comes; the X-500, as well as an X-320.

o

I'd wonder which of the dealer's customers the delivery truck is available for and why it isn't available for you... again. I wonder if there's a customer who's been waiting longer than you... probably.

o

Well, in a way this new delay may be a good thing, and having a little extra time to re-think, may just bring me back to my senses.

It's now obvious to me that my new self-propelled mower, is probably all the mower I'd really need "under normal circumstances". The problem of course, is that I'm having a hard time just getting out of a chair, let alone walking the mower up slopes, and keeping up with the rest of the yard. I was doing not too badly until I re-injured my back on Monday. My doc says it'll get better,,,eventually.

o

I have been following this thread, interesting to say the least. This is my thought for what is worth... buy now what you think you will need should you move in 2-3 years. Even the cost of shipping your mower will cost you less in the long run. You will definately lose more money on a sale of your mower should you move. Forget about any trade in to a JD dealer. You only get a fraction of what you paid. If you think you will have more to mow when you move, definately buy the X500 series vs. X320. With good care, this mower will last your life time.

Have you looked into a good used GX series mower with low hours? These have the differential lock and in my opinion are a better quality mower than the X500 series. No warranty but if you come across a nice one, it will too will last with no worries and you will pay far LESS! You can get a GX255 with 54 deck, low hours for around 3500.

Check out www.machine finder.com

More for you to think about, good luck!

o

Thank you, I appreciate your comments.

Regarding the move to Nova Scotia, I'm not certain I'd want to bring the tractor with me. I've got to be the ultimate pack-rat, and moving all that stuff is going to be one heckuva job. I thought I'd buy a tractor now, while rates are really low, but, I have no idea how I'd haul it down there. (20+ hour drive). I'd most likely buy another tractor after I get there.

I've got a complete woodworking shop to move, and I'm also a musician, with wayyyy too much gear, P/A systems, more instruments than the Rolling Stones, studio-gear, 4 vehicles and a utility-trailer,etc. That's going to be a nightmare, lol. I just hate moving, but it'll all be worthwhile after it's done. Good folks down that way.

For now, I'd like to buy a good used tractor, but I'm just not finding anything worthwhile. I keep looking though. I'll see what happens Tuesday, when the JD rep brings those two X-series tractors. Since I've pretty well resigned myself to doing the slopes with the self-propelled mower, maybe I should just buy a small zero-turn for doing the "flats". Something like a Toro Time-Cutter, with a 42 or 48" deck. They're not expensive, and I probably wouldn't lose much if I sell it, two years down the road.

o

Well I think you answered your question as to what to do here..... Re: X320 or X500, if you are mowing only flats and will sell the mower when you move, definately go with the X320. There is always used if you come across one and can verify the maintenance. This is so important and you are buying with no warranty and you better be handy or you will pay much at the shop. And if a zero turn costs less than a X320, you have that option too. But if you plan to mow flats only and have no plan to haul heavy loads or use ground attachments, definately an X320 over the X500 and you will SAVE your hard earned money. You would only want the X500 for the more durable transmission to do hard work.

Have some peace of mind now!

o

An X500 will have more resale value (% wise) than an X320 and it will sell quicker as they rarely come up on the used market. In either the case of the X320 or X500 the remainder of the warranty transfers to a subsequent owner here in the US... maybe not in Canada, you'd have to check.

Since you bought, will buy, might buy the X500 at a nice price you'd stand to recover more of your money if you sold it when you moved.

o

Yes, I got a better deal on the X-500 than what I was offered for the X-320, relative to MSRP. The dealer wanted $4400 for the X-320 if I remember correctly, which is close to MSRP I believe. I got the X-500 for $5200., which was $800. below MSRP.

What did the extra $800. spent give me? Well, a 26hp motor (vs 22), a beefier tranny (K-72), locking differential, bigger wheels/tires(23x12), high-back seat, 500hr/4yr warranty vs 300hrs/4yr. Since the JD promotion was over May 31st up here, they now want $5,999. for the X-500, so I'm already ahead of the game there. 0% interest, no payments for 1 year was not too shabby either.

No question the deal was great, considering that I'm in Quebec, but, is it what I really need? I'll find out Tuesday I suppose.

o
oops!!

OOPS!! I forgot to mention that the X-500 also has the serviceable tranny, which was an important feature in my selection process.

o

Remember to get that transmission serviced at 500 hours! Filter and fluid changed.

Nice deal you got there, nice job!

o

The filter in the X500 trans is internal and not a routine service item. The cavity for the replaceable filter is there but no routing of the fluid into the cavity.

The X530 and X540 with hydraulic lift and power steering use the replaceable filter.

The first trans oil change for the X5xx series is at 50 hours and every 200 hours after that.

o

Well, I looked at a Toro ZTR today,,, one of their "Time-Cutter models. The seat had zero suspension, so That one's out. That machine would kill my back.

I stopped by Home Depot on the way home, and looked at a few of the D-Series machines. What a difference, compared to the X-Series JD's. Anyway, I looked at D-100's,D-110's, D-120's, D-160's and D-170's. The 100,110,and 120 had lo-back seats, which I did not care for. I sat on a D-160 and D-170, and those seats seemed VERY comfortable, so I hope the X-500 and X-320 fare just as well, or better. They should be here in the morning, if the weather holds. It's been a very rainy last few days, and is supposed to clear tonight.

o

It's Heeeeeere!!!!! ;-))

My shiny new X-500 finally showed up, and now has a whopping 0.9 hours on it. (is it time to trade up???) ;-))

Initial impression is, this will most likely suit my needs to a "T". I was especially surprised by the quality of cut, and the ride comfort. The available ground-speed was nice too, but I mowed at a reduced speed, and got great results.

The rep did not bring an X-320 with him, as they had none available, but that was fine. I'm comfortable with the X-500, so I'll stop agonizing over details, and won't look back. I'll have to live with it for a little while, until I can give an accurate critique, but as it stands, I think I've made a good decision.

As for the Kubota GR-2110 that I tried last week, the X-500 doesn't compare. The Kubota was in a complete other league, but, it was nearly twice the price too(9200. vs $5200). I had hoped that the differential-lock on the X-500 might work just as well as the 4wd Kubota, while going down my slopes. This was not the case, as my sales-rep quickly found out, when he experienced a hair-raising ride down one of the steeper parts of my slopes. Even the Kubota rep had not tried that area.

As far as turn-radius, the Kubota again was the clear winner. There's no comparison actually. And as for a low center-of-gravity, I'd say the Kubota once again felt better "planted" on slopes. I may try loading the tires on the X-500, to see if that feels a little better.

The X-500 did not have the HDAP tires I ordered, as they haven't arrived yet, and I believe the rep was trying to convince me to stay with the turf tires, as he felt they may be a better option for my application. I dunno. The rep slid down one of my other hills, with the brakes fully engaged. He told me he didn't have the differential-lock on, but there were two very-visible skid marks, all the way down that hill. He didn't lose control, but was close to the margin IMO.

A few other items that I ordered did not arrive (single rear bucket-holder and 5 gal, bucket, and a sun-canopy. Those will come shortly I'm told.

I'm a bit frustrated that it took such a short time to mow my lawn. I'm tempted to ask the neighbors if I can cut their grass too. I want more seat time. ;-))

o

Congrats John! I mowed my neighbors yard as well. We just got some rain, so hopefully soon I'll have more grass. Don't back down on the hdap tires. They look good and should also help with traction on your slopes. Forget about the X320 as well. the kabota is sounding pretty good, but like you said, $4000 is a major difference. Have fun with your new toy and be sure to get some pics up. I will be doing the same soon.

o

Thanks Tubby175,

I will keep on them regarding the HDAP's. They told me last week, that they would come to my home with a service truck, to change my tires.

I did manage to get quite a few pics today, and a friend who is a pro-photographer, also passed by and snapped a few. I've never posted pics on the web, so it may take a few days before I actually get around to doing so, but I will post them. I've also got great pics of the Kubota GR-2110 climbing my slopes. Wait 'til you get a load of those. Wow!!!

I'm so glad this search is over. I can't recall ever researching something as intensely, in such a short period of time, as I did with this "lawn solution". I'm aware of the compromises and short-comings, but overall, I'm quite satisfied with the results. I don't miss the power-steering, but a tighter turn-radius, 4 wd, and a lower center-of-gravity, would have been the icing on the cake. Next time around.;-))

o

The tranny should be serviced the first time I do believe at 100 hrs I have the k-72 and that was my interval.The X500 will mow great my x534 out mowes everything in my neighborhood. When you drive by my house you see a huge difference , and I use no chemicals on my lawn.
My tricks are keep the deck clean,sharp blades, mow often and mow 3 inches or higher this helps crowd out weeds. I am sold on my tractor. The more you use it the more you will like it.

o

"The first trans oil change for the X5xx series is at 50 hours and every 200 hours after that.

Right from the operator manual for X500, X520, X530, X534, X540. The models with the filter get a filter at the same intervals while the X500 and X520 do not cause they don't have the filter.

o

The fact that the filter can't be changed on the X-500, bothers me a bit. I'll probably be changing the transmission fluid a little more frequently than the manual recommends; mind you, I have no plans on using the tractor for anything other than mowing. (no ground-engagement applications). It took me less than 0.4 hours to mow my lawn yesterday (24 minutes), and part of that time, was just getting used to the tractor. At that rate, over our short 4 1/2 months mowing season, I'll probably rack up less than 10 hrs per season. I need to find a little extra work for this tractor.

Lately, I've certainly renewed my interest in properly maintaining my lawn. The JD rep and I took a good look yesterday, and it seems a thatcher will be required. Are any of the accessory thatchers worthwhile, or are they just "toys". What about the lawn-sweepers? Most that I've seen have those itty-bitty plastic wheels, and don't appear to be very durable. I'm surrounded by very large and mature trees, and leaf-collection can be quite a chore. I have a great back-pack blower (Echo) for gathering the leaves from difficult areas, and generally dispose of over 20 very large bags of leaves, every Fall. I also mulch another 10 bags' worth, into the lawn. I may stop mulching however, as the JD rep said that my lawn soil was probably too acidic.

I have to contact a professional landscaper, to do some repairs to my property, and while he's here, I'll find out what the lawn requires, in order to regain it's full potential. I'll probably need at least a truck-load of top-soil, to fill in all the holes and depressions, and "flatten" the yard. I say "flatten: because my "flats" are not level, There's a slight continuous grade, from one end of the property to the other.(5' vertical drop over 200') This is where a scraper-blade, front-bucket, and roller would come in handy, but I doubt it would be worthwhile buying those, for a one-time job.

o

The K72 holds considerable oil and has good heat dissipation as long as the fan on top is kept clear and clean.

Don't sweat the filter. Just do the maintenance as scheduled in the operator manual.

o

You can always replace your standard mower blades with mulch blades or the gator blades to mulch your leaves very fine like. Healthy for your lawn!

o

From what I gather, mulching will increase the acidity of the soil. The JD rep felt that my soil was already showing signs of being too acidic. In a week or so, I should have a landscaper here, and I'll discuss it with him.

I went to see my dealer today, just in case I wanna trade up within 30 days. My rep wasn't there, and they had no X-700's in stock.

o

OK, here's a question re the John Deere 30 Promise;

Am I entitled to configure my tractor the way I want, during the 30 day period? Here's why I'm asking;....

My sales rep submitted my invoice to JD, after delivering my tractor. Although we had discussed several optional extras that I wanted, prioe to delivery, those items did not show up at the time of delivery. The HDAP tires was one item, and I also wanted the rear bucket-holder, possibly a lawn-sweeper and a thatcher, a sun-canopy, possible a weight-bracket and some suitcase weights, etc. When I went to the dealer today, another rep told me that if the invoice was submitted, that I would have to buy those items separately, which means they're not financed in the tractor package, nor do they have the tractor warranty of four years. (1 yr only)

I was "told" a bunch of other things too, and I'm not sure I believe them. Example, the 30 day Promise, doesn't mean you can return the tractor for a refund, if you're not satisfied or happy with the machine. He said; You can only bring it back to trade on another JD tractor, and only if it has 4 hours or less. Was this rep creating his own interpretation of the 30-day Promise?

o

I warned you to run from this dealer and I hope you don't get shafted.

Seems like you might learn a valuable lesson... you let this salesman drive your purchase rather than assisting you or you driving the sale.

You need to stop listening to this idiot and get FACTS. Either go to the JD web site and print out the info for your reference or call JD and get the facts from them.

Call JD and get them involved. Return the X500 and refuse any accessories that haven't arrived and return any accessories you have. Get your money back and RUN.

As I understand the JD promise here in the US you can return the tractor and anything on the tractor invoice for FULL refund or full credit for amount paid on the invoice applied against another purchase for 30 days from the day you take possession and sign the invoice. AFAIK there is no hour limitation, within reason. Anything you bought on another invoice you are stuck with.

o
RE;: John Deere 30-Day Promise

That's how I read it too, even here in Canada. In fairness, this was another rep that told me this, and he's only been working for JD for 6 weeks. My rep was on the road today, and was not at the store when I dropped in.

Tomorrow, I'm going to be contacting a landscaper about the condition of my lawn. I'm thinking of leveling some 6000-7000 sq.ft, and re-seeding, etc. If it's worthwhile, I'd order the accessories needed to complete that task, or go with the tractor and attachments that would permit me to accomplish this task. Mind you, it might be cheaper for me to rent a tractor with a FEL for the day, to spread and level the truckload (or two) of topsoil that I'd need to do the job.

o

The Predator tm. blades from Deere work great and I have them on all of my mowers. The Deere mulch kit for the 48 and 54 inch deck is Junk ,all that plastic catches grass and you can not use predators with it.Mine went to the garbage in about a month. I cant imagine having that gizmo on my mower this year clean the deck evertime I use it no way. I see no difference in my lawn mulching or discharge... The grass looks pristine.

o

• Posted by gldn none (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 22, 11 at 22:20

Took delivery of an 2011 X534 with 0.5 hrs for $5900.
Thrilled with it!

o

That tractor will serve you well mine is 2 years old . Get familiar with the owners manual and find all the grease fittings front and back.It is a large investment take care of it 48 or 54 deck? Dont forget to grease your deck.

o

Congratulations gldn, that sounds like a heckuva deal to me. I really would have liked that 4ws feature myself.

I now have 2 mows under my belt, and a grand-total of 1.3 hours on the meter. (It had 0.5hrs when delivered)

Everything's fine so far, with a very minor technicality; the hour meter jumped by 0.1 hours on start-up, and repeated that again on the next start-up. Not a big deal. The cut is great.

o

Sat, Jun 25, 11 at 17:36

48 inch deck. Didnt have enough room in garage for 54.
Dealer said better cut with 48.
Yes, there are many grease points.
I took care of our old 245 for 19 years.
Never had power stearing till now; didnt know what i was missing.

o

Getting ready to go cut for the third time on my X530. I have about 2.5 hours on it so far. It's sweet to be so eager to do what once was a chore. If anyone is considering an X3xx series but can aford to buy up to the X5xx, you should do so. I drove an X300 last weekend and there is a major difference between the models. However I also plan on using several attachments and snow blowing. Something to consider when spending the extra money. And yes, power steering is great!

o

X300 series are lawn tractors,x500 series are garden tractors they are heavier built.I feel the old lx series tractors in many ways are a better built tractor than the x300 series of today,personal opinion.The dealer tried to sell me a x300 and said Ididnt need a x500 series I paid no attention.

o

The X3xx and X500 use EXACTLY the same frame. They do differ in engine and transaxle and wheel sizes among other things.

o

I dunno about that one Justalurker, when I look at both the X-300 and X-500 specs, the X-500 is 3" longer overall (75" vs 72"), and the wheel-base is 51.2" vs 49.4" for the X-300.

With a 48" deck, the X-300 weighs 616 lbs, vs the X-500 at 760 lbs. No doubt though, the X-500's larger tires/wheels, larger engine and trans-axle, account for some of the 144 lb difference.

The X-500 is also 3" wider (approx), but that's probably due to the wider rear wheels/tires.

o

"I dunno about that one Justalurker, when I look at both the X-300 and X-500 specs, the X-500 is 3" longer overall (75" vs 72"), and the wheel-base is 51.2" vs 49.4" for the X-300"

Look at the parts lists... the frame on the X500 and the X300 both sub to part # AM137099. you the hood is also the same.

"With a 48" deck, the X-300 weighs 616 lbs, vs the X-500 at 760 lbs. No doubt though, the X-500's larger tires/wheels, larger engine and trans-axle, account for some of the 144 lb difference"

Wheels, tires, K72 with larger oil capacity and 1" axles, larger engine, and the two piece body on the X500 instead of the smaller one piece body on the X300.

"The X-500 is also 3" wider (approx), but that's probably due to the wider rear wheels/tires"

X500 has hubs on the rear axles with bolt-on rims AND the offset of the 12" rims.

o

Sun, Jun 26, 11 at 16:43

Question on using chains with x534.
Users manual says the tires have to be removed first is that true?
Disappointing if thats true.

o

Thanks justalurker, What do you figure accounts for the 1.8" difference in wheel-base?

o

"What do you figure accounts for the 1.8" difference in wheel-base"

Chinese rulers?

Pretty sure the difference is between the K46 and K72 axle center versus mounting bosses on trans case and frame.

"Question on using chains with x534.
Users manual says the tires have to be removed first is that true? Disappointing if thats true.
"

If the manual say it then it's a good bet it's true.

o

The x534 has brackets that need to be turned around if the chains are added.They are in the rear of the tractor ,you will not be able to turn as tight once they are moved.This is in the owners manual page 24.

o

gldn,

Re: X534

I believe if you the rubber tire chains, you do not have to remove the rear tires. Years ago I looked at the x534 and the dealer recommended to use rubber vs. chain on the x534.

o

I bought mine to only mow with , you can blow snow with the tractor , forgive me never heard of rubber , If I was to till and so forth a x700 would be minimal or a compact 1or 2 series or looked closer at competition. I do not believe the x500 series is all that heavy duty but a basic garden tractor .I have torn mine down stem to stern and very many similarities other than hydo to my old lx . personal opinion , True its tranny is heavier and larger motor but by reading what the threads here say same frame as a x3oo. Do I think it is a good tractor absolutely ,does it do what I ask of it yes.Would I buy it again yes. I had a chance to look at a friends new tractor the other day and I am glad to be a Deere customer..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here