Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edseward

Craftsman deck blade shaft stripped

edseward
12 years ago

I have a Craftsman LT1000 42" deck with two blades. One of the blades came loose. Upon inspection the "star" fitting at end of shaft coming down is completely stripped and will need to be replaced. The blade will not lock in tight anymore.

Is this an expensive repair at a shop?

Would it be better to take it to a small repair shop or have the at home repair people come out to deal with this?

Comments (8)

• bill_kapaun
    12 years ago

Look up the part# in your OM.
    Then, Google- AYP + the PN.

IF you'd posted the Sears 917.xxxxxx number, one could look up the correct PN.
    There are multiple "LT 1000"'s.

IF you don't have an OM, go to Sears. you can probably download one.

• tomplum
    12 years ago

One can usually replace the spindle shaft easily enough on these if the housing is sound- without removing the spindle body from the deck that is. So if the rest is ok, it goes quite quickly and isn't too costly. If you are comfortable with your mechanical skills, removing the deck and installing the shaft isn't too traumatic.

• baymee
    12 years ago

I agree. It's not hard at all.

• rcmoser
    12 years ago

OK, lessons for the future. first off it's easier to identify something wrong and fix it before it breaks. You should of heard something strange (unless your deaf or have limited hearing like me)as the teeth was being beat off. Then, there is the owners manual that covers going over your equipment about every 10 to 25 hours checking for loose hardware and especially the mount bolt for the blades.

Another option would be to just buy spindle assy and remove and replace it. if that's not to deep. Paying shop to do it would be two to three times the amount of the assy and of course the time it takes for them to get to it. NO skills, then you got to suck it up and pay the piper.

• bluemower
    12 years ago

From your comments, I think you prefer someone to fix this for you. If someone comes to your home, you will have to pay for his vehicle and time driving as well as the repair.

If you have means to transport, it will save money to take it to the repair shop. A dealer has the air impact tool needed to remove the spindle pulley. Most of the repair shops charge about $50 - $60 per hour. A shaft kit would cost about $30. Expect the following times:

15 minutes to remove the deck
    15 minutes to replace the shaft kit (if housing is ok)
    15 - 30 minutes to clean the deck if required.
    15 minutes to install the deck
    15 - 30 minutes to level the deck if required.
    15 minutes for the paper work

Unfortunately, the mechanics frequently encounter problems like frozen lift adjustments that require additional time. This would be the best time to inspect the drive belts.

good luck.

• markcrough_cs_com
    12 years ago

The clover leaf at the base of the mandrel shaft sheared off on mine. I can't manage to secure the base now as I attempt to loosen the nut atop the pulley/shaft. I have a replacement mandrel kit but can't remove the mandrel shaft. Do I have to bring this to a machine shop or have someone cut the bolt just beneath the pulley? I fear cramming a screwdriver up inside to gain leverage will ream the threads to oblivion. Vice grips proved fruitless.

Any help would be most appreciated.

• mownie
    12 years ago

Electric or pneumatic powered impact wrench is what you need.

• tomplum
    12 years ago

If no impact is available, your choice would be to grip the pulley via the belt and hold it using the belt's friction or tighten the bjesus of the blade bolt and block the blade to hold the shaft.

Sponsored
Steadfast Construction
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Arlington County's Experienced Custom Deck Builder I Best of Houzz