Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark_123_gw

Crafysman 42 inch lawn tractor not starting

mark.123
11 years ago

I have a craftsman 42 inch lawn mower 917.252502.

The shifter would not move this spring so I took off the transaxle and took it apart. The shifter mechanism in the transaxle was stuck due to corrosion. So I was able to free it up and put the transaxle back together. I was unable to get the detent ball and spring bolt loose. So I had to install these from within the transaxle. Had a tough time witth this but I was able to finally able to get them in and stay there.

Now the mower won't start. No cranking or anything. It is as though it is in gear and won't start. Is there a connection to the transaxle that lets the mower know it is in gear? Maybe I didn't reassemble it correctly?

Thanks,

Mark

Comments (4)

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

First is to check the fuse.

Your start circuit is relatively simple.
    The battery supplies 12V to the B terminal of the key switch through the fuse and ammeter (if equipped).

When in the crank position, continuity is made in the key switch from the B terminal to the S terminal.
    That should be a WHITE wire from S.
    It then goes through the clutch/brake switch (pedal must be down) and through the attachment switch (must be off) to the starter solenoid small terminal.

You can download an OM with the electrical schematic (page 29/56) at the link below, if you don't have one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Owners manual

• mark.123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I checked the fuse and it is OK. I tried to jump the mower but it acted like the clutch isn't disengaged when I turned the key.

Is there a way to bypass the clutch switch to test it out?
    Thanks,
    Mark

• mark.123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

FOUND the Problem. The battery cable broke off from the battery post. I had to look real close to the battery and noticed a gap between the post and the cable.

Problem resolved.

Thanks,
    Mark

• rustyj14
    11 years ago

Yep--works every time! It is good that you found it! there have been many batteries exchanged for new ones, or somebody got the new battery connected backwards, And that makes folks buy new starters, and other parts!

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm