Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_v

John Deere CDI Ignitor question

don_v
15 years ago

I have a John Deere 425 tractor with failing ignitor module.

I am looking for a used one as cannot afford over $200 for new from Deere.

This has the Kawasaki 20hp liquid twin engine and wondered if the Nippon-Denso unit is the same as the Deere unit as far as advance curves etc. I know the Kaw. Mule uses same engine with the Denso unit.

Any help finding a used good ignitor for my tractor would be appreciated.

Part # AM105574 JohnDeere----

Part # 21119-2157 Nippon-Denso-

Thanks Don

Comments (14)

• jdfanatic
    15 years ago

Don,

Are you sure it's the ignitor module? Oftentimes it's the Time Delay Module that goes on these tractors and the fix is only ~ $14.25.

Cheers

JDFANATIC

• butchs_hobby
    15 years ago

That would apply to my 445 too I think, so that's good info JDFANTIC, thanks

• don_v
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, it must be the ignitor. I've isolated almost everything else. It still runs on the right cylinder but the left loses spark when warm. I can mow all day below 60 degrees, but about 20 minutes on a 80 degree day.
    Swaped coils and pulsors, still left goes dead. If the delay relay would kill all I would think.Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Still looking for a replacement.

• engine_tech
    15 years ago

No time delay on a 445, so sorry butch.

It's very common for them to start cutting spark when hot if they go out on a 425 though. I would agree I would think it would affect both coils, but that might not be the case. The delay module feeds the ignition module power, not the coils, so who knows what the mod does when starved for power. If you get yourself a schematic, you can bypass the delay mod and give power directly to the ignition module to see if that's your problem.

• butchs_hobby
    15 years ago

Thanks engine tech, I probably should look at the owners manuel a little better. Don't know if this will help but my ole Onan that I put an electronic conversion on started only running on one cylinder till it warmed up, then ran fine. Traced it down to the electronic conversion was going bad. It'd been on there for about 8 years so I guess I really can't complain.

• don_v
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well my left cylinder ignitor problem FINALLY went from intermittent to permanent. I still refuse to give John Deere almost 300 bucks for a 50 dollar item. SOOO I cut the wires from the left pulsor and coil, wired in an old CDI ignition module from a 1975 Ford. It worked great. I mowed most of my 5 Acres today and it was 85 degrees out. The only negative I notice is I have lost the delayed shutdown on the left cylinder and causes an occasional backfire when turning the key off. I can live with that.

Field Expedience, I love it.
    Don

• tomplum
    15 years ago

Our hats are off to you!

• degnol
    15 years ago

Don, did you get the ignitor installed and did it solve the problem?

Ed

• cshepe
    15 years ago

Could it be that the ignitor is my problem as well? My John Deere 425 will no longer start, it just 'clicks'. It also backfires while mowing every once in awhile. It used to be if I would just wait a few minutes then it would start after 'grinding' for awhile. Now it won't start at all. --Carl

• engine_tech
    15 years ago

cshepe, you might want to check your battery and cables, as those will affect starting. Plus, a loose or bad connection could cause a momentary loss of power, and thus a backfire. Your problem is different from the original poster.

• sfletcher0001
    13 years ago

I found this ignitor on www.JEGS.com do a search using the Denoso Part number 131800-0131 It was $71.99. The top # is the Kawasaki part number the bottom one is the Denoso#

http://www.jegs.com/i/Denso/313/131800-0131/10002/-1

• RachelT71
    12 years ago

Hello guys. I am told my John Deere may have same issue. A friend of mine took the spark plug wires off the spark plugs, he put a screw driver in the place to see if it was getting an electrical feed, and nothing. So he thinks it's the magneto as well. I am trying learn more about all these issues, so hopefully I can fix some of it myself. So I need to ask how do you check the Time Delay Module to know if that is what is bad? Also, are either of those issues an easy fix? Or would it require a tractor shop?

Thanks and have a super day!!!

Thank you guys!

• apalmerjr
    12 years ago

Having the same problem with my 425, runs a few minutes and quits, no spark on either plug. Should I be checking the delay module also?

• Luke M
    4 years ago

Don_v i know your post was quite a while ago. But would you have have any pics or info on how you wired in the ford cdi unit ? Thanks

Sponsored