Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goose2008

Wheel Horse 310-8

goose2008
15 years ago

I have an old wheel horse 310-8 with a 42" side discharge deck. The machine runs great. My problem is that even with the rear gage wheels all the way in the highest cutting postion the blades are only cutting about 2" and the front of the deck is probably an inch lower than the back. I can't seem to figure out how to adjust this or what the problem is. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Comments (15)

• sergeant
    15 years ago

hers a place that might help

Here is a link that might be useful: red square

• mailman22
    15 years ago

I have a 315-8. I find the decks cut a bit low even on the highest setting. However, take a look and see if you have two holes for the lift bar to connect to the deck. The bar might be connected to one of two holes. Try connecting to the other hole. I hope I am helping you here.

Otherwise, the link to red square that sergeant gave you is one of the best links I have. Great site!

• wheelhorse_of_course
    15 years ago

Yup, I have seen this problem.

These are ground following decks, so any change in the lift linkage won't help.

Larger wheels is the easiest solution. Once you get the new wheels you can then level the deck (you do want it lower in the front by 1/2" or a bit more)using the threaded rod that fine tunes the wheel angle (hard to describe, but other than the lift it self, and of course the wheel height, it is the only adjustment on these decks.

best of luck.

• buckfever14
    15 years ago

Can you still get parts for these?

• wheelhorse_of_course
    15 years ago

Yes, in most cases you can get parts from your local Wheel Horse dealer. There are some good online dealers as well.

And even for the really old ones there is a decent used parts market on ebay and through collector's clubs.

• buckfever14
    15 years ago

Thanks a lot wheelhorse of course. More questions for you. What weight gear oil do I use in the rear end? And is there a drain plug or do I siphon it out through fill hole?
    The label by the seat is faded. I can't read any of the numbers. How can I tell what year mine is.
    Thanks

• buckfever14
    15 years ago

Rearend also has water in it. What's best way to get that cleaned out?
    Thanks again!

• mownie
    15 years ago

My favorite way to clean that gook is to drain the contaminated stuff out....let it drip overnight or over a week. Put the plug back in and fill it to the normal level with kerosene or diesel fuel. Raise one wheel off the ground and run the tractor in low gear for about 10 minutes. Drop that wheel to the ground and raise the other wheel off the ground. Run in reverse for about 10 more minutes. Drain the rear end and let it drip for a day or so. Fill to the correct level with 85 W 140 gear oil.

• buckfever14
    15 years ago

Rearend also has water in it. What's best way to get that cleaned out?
    Thanks again!

• wheelhorse_of_course
    15 years ago

Yes, these should be a drain plug on the bottom as well as a fill plug on the side. It may be under the draw bar - somewhere on the bottom.

And yes (as usual), Mownie's recommendations are spot on :)

• buckfever14
    15 years ago

Thanks , I really appreciate it.

• wheelhorse_of_course
    15 years ago

No problem. Glad to see someone taking care of one of these steeds!

• buckfever14
    15 years ago

This is my first Wheel Horse, and I bet, not my last!

• kelle3442
    10 years ago

Hello I have a 310-8 wheel horse just changed oil put in 2 quarts of 30 wt oil still shows low oil does not even come up to lines between low and full on dipstick please any help will be appreciated thank you

• grass1950
    10 years ago

If the oil isn't pouring out onto the ground, you are not properly seating the dipstick to check the oil. Do you have an owners manual for the engine?

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022