Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
John Deere 425

Posted by bruce_knapp (My Page) on
Sun, May 9, 10 at 16:38

I'm having an issue with my John Deere 425 and oil consumption. It consumes around 1/2 quart of oil for the 2 acres I mow. Quite a bit if you ask me. I think the issue may be either the valve cover gasket or perhaps a cracked valve cover. One additional issue, when I replaced the mower blades (48" deck) with "gator blades" (seem much heavier than the standard high-lift deere blades) the mower starts fine but once the deck engages taxes the engine to such an extent it shuts down. Any ideas on either of these issues?????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: John Deere 425

I can only speak for the first. There are two reasons for oil loss--1 is faulty seals and or piston rings. This will lead to the oil making its way down to the combustion chamber and getting burned along with the fuel. --2 is loss from gaskets like the valve cover, oil pan,. etc.. If you see oil dripping down the side of the engine, its the latter, If you find oil drops under the tractor after sitting some time, its the latter. If you lose oil and you don't see signs of oil out side of your engine, its the former. If you have 2000+ hours on the motor and you are unsure of how it was maintained through the years, you are probably looking at an engine rebuild in the future. with regard to engine stalls, it can either be the engine needing tune up or your spindles are worn and cause excessive friction.
The more you tell us, the more we can tell you. Did the problem with the engine stalling happen when you started using gator blades? Or have you been using them for years and it just started? Also, oil loss is gradual. I cannot imagine you just started losing oil after the last use of your tractor. Has it been happening for some time now? Has it been getting worse and worse? Do you see blue smoke when you run the tractor? The problems you are having are easy to determine (may not be easy to fix!).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here