Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wankel

Best technique for cutting long grass?

wankel
9 years ago

Not grass that is knee high, but say, after a rainy spell when you haven't been able to cut and it is a couple of inches longer than what you usually allow it to grow...

I have a three blade JD, make sure blades are sharp, and do not have it set up to mulch. I have tried three techniques:

1. Inching my way through (full deck width) - seems to take forever.

2. Hitting the grass at top speed at full width - taking care not to lug the engine - which gives me a ragged cut and then I go back at regular speed over the same row...

3. Cutting a strip that is about a half-deck wide at about the usual speed. Seems to work the best.

What is the technique you use?

Comments (4)

• krnuttle
    9 years ago

Based on what you said, I assume you are cutting grass that is about 6 to 8' long. If it were mine, I would first cut the grass at the highest setting on the mower, Then in a couple of days go back and cut it to the recommended 3" --3.5". If the highest setting still causes problems I would make the first cut with the mower in the up (Non mowing) position.

• gewf631
    9 years ago

First, one assumption - the lawn is actively growing, so the moisture content is pretty high.

For me (42" 2-blade mulching deck mowing 3/4ths of an acre), the "half-deck" approach usually works best. I find that I may have to slow my ground speed a little, but the reduced width helps ensure that the grass is cut cleanly, while further mulching the clippings.

When it's really bad, I've followed knuttle's process, mowing at the highest setting, then coming-back in a few days to mow as usual. I find that I can mow the first time pretty quickly (fast ground speed), so the first pass takes less time than it normally would. The second pass will be at right angles to the first, so the lawn really has a nice look to it.

• Mike07
    9 years ago

I mow a 1 acre lot/field w/a jd300 until engine failure forced a move to a 318. Use a lawn sweeper w/a 48" deck. If high, I mow less than full width & the sweeper prevents bulk build up. The deck still discharges & sweeper gets most of what is left. Cut my repeat passes 75% & works for me. On plus side, I have ample supply of clippings for mulch w/o raking.
    Doing this as a Property Maintenance biz, preferring a tractor to a zero turn due to most customers having rough mowing areas w/trees, rocks, mostly 1/2 speed max. Not much golf course type mowing.

• optsyeagle
    9 years ago

I tend to go the turtle speed route. I suspect the turtle speed route versus the 1/2 deck route will work out the same and probably take about the same amount of time.

The 1/2 deck route to me is like being stuck on a slow moving freeway so you take an alternate route. Usually the alternate routes will inevitably take longer then the slower moving freeway, but it just feels better to be moving faster.

In any event, I just put the tractor on a slower moving speed, keep the blade sharp and plow through it. I agree though, it does feel like life is a bit too short to cut grass like that, but it does do a good job.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!