Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman mower wont start

Posted by aborg123 none (My Page) on
Tue, May 14, 13 at 17:17

I have a 16 hp Kohler engine. i was mowing the lawn the other day and the mower just shut off. I tried turning back on and it fired then shut off about 10 seconds later. now the only thing i notice that it will do when i turn the key is the starter will spin the fly wheel but thats it. any suggestions on what my be wrong? my guess is that the engine is not getting fuel but i am a novice at small engine repair.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman mower wont start

Did you check for spark?
IF you have spark, try priming the carb with 2-3 teaspoons worth of gas.
IF it tries to fire, that would indicate a fuel problem.
Change filter? Use the GENUINE Kohler filter.

Posting the Sears 917.xxxxxx number will give one a much better idea of WHICH Kohler engine you have and a chance for finding an electrical schematic.

o

The number is 917271041

o

You really need to check for spark.
On THIS tractor, something as simple as the seat switch not being connected can cause no spark AND no fuel.

Sit in the seat and switch the key ON OFF ON OFF.......
There are 3 Operator Presence Relays (OPR) AND the carb fuel solenoid that should click.

o

I hear no clicking when I turn the key and am sitting in the seat. Even pressed in the safest switch under the seat manually to see if that was the problem. How exactly do I check for a spark?

o

You aren't going to have spark (or fuel) until the seat switch issue is solved.

Disconnect the plug to the seat switch.
With the key ON, jumper the 2 wires to the seat switch PLUG together.
IF you now hear a click, replace the seat switch and we can go from there.
That might solve the problem though.

o

here is a link to a vid of what im working with
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMmD3TithUs&feature=youtu.be

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here