Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtsmith2340

Mower deck locked X300 Series John Deere

mtsmith2340
9 years ago

My mower deck is locked in the lowest position and will not release. I locked the deck to remove it and sharpen my blades. When I reattached the deck I was not able to get the deck lock to release.

Comments (18)

• User
    9 years ago

Pull back on the left (lift) pedal a little by hand and see if the lock releases.

Did you set the cutting height to the lowest setting BEFORE removing the deck?

Remove the deck and make sure the lifting arms aren't bound up or limited by debris or branches.

If the deck pedal operates up and down and locks correctly then you're not attaching the deck in the correct sequence.

READ THE MANUAL.

• User
    9 years ago

R&Ring the deck on a select series X3xx or X5xx is really easy if you follow the instructions. I have seen others expereince your exact problem before and it has always been removing or reinstalling the deck out of sequence. Not at all like the procedure on an LT series.

I find JD manuals do tell you exactly how to do it but you have to forget previous experience with other brands and models.

• User
    9 years ago

The operator manual is very clear in the specific steps of the deck removal and installation procedure.

The deck lock does not release by itself or with the pedal. The deck lock is engaged and released by the mower lift lock lever on the LH side of the dashboard indicated by "O" in the picture.

This post was edited by justalurker on Sun, May 25, 14 at 19:33

• mtsmith2340
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Don't want to get into a row, but in my case the lock under the release lever you mentioned was stuck and no reasonable force applied would budge either the pedal or the release lever without risking damage. There really isn't much of anything to get in order when you remove the deck. Hats off to Deere, they greatly improved the ease. Everyone should have a 12 inch screw driver in their tool box, but you never use it on screws.

• rosenberg74
    8 years ago

Hi All

I have the exact some problem as the original thread here but bugger me if I can find
    the lock linkage (as per the thread owners solution)

Any help in locating this?? many thanks - my grass is getting very long

• HU-691385379
    5 years ago

My X300 John Deere lift deck is stuck in the "transport position". The lift pedal is stuck down and the lift lock lever is stuck in the up position. No amount of pressure on either will move either of them.

• HU-691385379
    5 years ago

This is manual lift not hydraulic.

• ssewalk1
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

As Justlurker mentioned , read the instructions then block the deck up and visualize the mechanical linkage under the deck . Apparently the locking mechanism is bound or seized preventing proper release and lowering of the deck .

• HU-691385379
    5 years ago

I'm pretty sure you are correct the locking mechanism is bound. The deck was not removed. I just locked the deck in transport mode after mowing last time, now lift lock lever will not move. I can block deck, but it is already in highes possible possition. May be able to raise it 1/4 inch.

• ssewalk1
    5 years ago

1/4 may be enough to free up the locking mechanism .

• HU-691385379
    5 years ago

Fixed, loaded mower up to take to the best repairman in town. When got there showing him what was happening and the deck lowered like normal. I guess just giggling it on the drive over loosened it up. Did make an adjustment with the deck leveling wrench to lower the deck one turn on each side now lift lock works smoothly. Note make sure deck leveling is not too high.

• ssewalk1
    5 years ago

Yeah you had to much tension on the leveling rods . Nice fix , one more time around the Block ! lol.

• Barbara Gallagher
    3 years ago

How can I get the lock lever unbound. I have had this happen a few times before and I pushed down on lowering lever and it loudly went down but I don't want to hurt the

• Randall Richland
    last year

Have grass getting longer, John Deere X 300

Removed mowing deck deck to clean , lube and sharpen blades . I have done this at least twice before with out problems ( actually read manual) when attemtiing to reinstall mower deck I Found : The deck raise footpedal locked in the forward position and the deck lock pad is iin the down position and won’t budge.. Both appear to be jamned tight so the draft arms wont come down far enough to be locked onto the mowing deck.

Someone mentioned 12 inch screwdriver to unlock mechanism from underneath? probably will try this before resorting to sledgehammer!

i will report back with results.

Thanks

• HU-610652200
    last year

. , .

• HU-610652200
    last year

. ,

• Alan Weixel
    9 months ago

How do you unlock it when it's in this position

Sponsored