Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oil Leak Craftsman GT5000 Kohler CV730S

Posted by jrsmith_2010 (My Page) on
Tue, May 4, 10 at 17:35

My dad has a 2004 Craftsman GT5000 with a Kohler CV730S. It started leaking oil - quite a bit - near the end of last mow season. Most of the oil seems to pool on the pulleys directly beneath the engine. After it sits sometime, practically all the oil is drained.

I have searched the web the best I know how and cannot find the solution. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jason

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oil Leak Craftsman GT5000 Kohler CV730S

Link below will get you to the free online manual at Kohler. You should save a copy (it's PDF) to your computer (it's free) and study Section 9 on "Disassembly". Section 9 pretty much shows all the places that have seals and gaskets during the teardown procedure. Figure 9-55 on page 9.15 shows the oil pan and the crankshaft seal. Either of those, or both......could actually be suspect, but I would almost think something might have physically damaged the crankshaft seal (like a piece of wire debris, or string) for it to be leaking as bad as you say. The oil pan gasket could leak that badly but if it was only the oil pan leaking, you would surely see a great deal of oil pooling on the upper frame surfaces too because the oil pan seam is above the places that the engine mounting bolts are located.

Here is a link that might be useful: CV730 SerMan

o

The web is not the solution? You need to clean the engine off and find where the leak orginates from. With that information someone maybe able to help. Use baby power to trace the leak to it orgin.

o

Jason:I had the same problum. It is the seal on the crank shaft up above your pully.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here