Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rswojo

Need recommendation for ZTR/Garden Tractor mower

rswojo
10 years ago

I have a Kubota T1880 garden tractor and I don't like it. I am mowing about one acre of lawn.

I have a mound septic system and when I climb the mound to mow one tire spins and I get stuck.

It has a mulching mower deck and I like to collect grass clippings to mulch my garden which is impossible with this mower.

It seems underpowered and does not do a very good job on the lawn.

I am looking for something with a locking differential and a non-mulching mower deck. I also need a little more than this Kubota delivers. Reliability will be a plus also. I had a Deere 318 that I sold along with my old house and I should have kept that, it was a great reliable mower.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Comments (4)

• grass1950
    10 years ago

I don't believe any ZTR has a locking dif.

• larso1
    10 years ago

Actually, there is a drive motor at each rear wheel of a ztr so you should be good to go on hills, unless there are other issues with the turf. In that case you may need chevron lugged rear tires. The Husqvarna GT48XLS may be the least expensive garden tractor with (available) locking diff. (see link below). Of course, John Deere makes some nice ones at a higher price point.

Here is a link that might be useful: Husqvarna GT w/ locking Diff

• rswojo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will have to check out that Husqvarna. The suggested retail price is only $300 more than I paid for that POS one lunger Kubota. Plus I have a really good, honest Husqvarna dealer 5 miles from my house.

I have been developing a dislike for the Kubota which gets stronger every time I use it.

I'm going to check out some Deeres too as I really loved my old 318 but since I am not mowing 3 acres anymore I'm not going to spend really big bucks on a tractor. Thanks.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    10 years ago

I just purchased a Husqnvarna ZTR. (i posted recently). Not worthy of reviewing as i am a new owner and prefer to have a good season of experience before saying, "giddy-up and get it, this thing is great!". Only 3 hours of mowing time thus far. If it performs well long term, as it is now, i will be very satisfied. And darn weather this week...rain for days and rain mixed with snow predicted tonight....

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting