Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glen_2009

STX-38 John Deere won't start

glen_2009
14 years ago

Help,

I charged the battery and it's holding a charge, but when I turn the key, NOTHING. Not a click or grunt. I suspect it's electrical, but I'm not sure how to troubleshoot it. Spark plug's fine. Fuel okay. Any ideas, please?

Comments (15)

• rustyj14
    14 years ago

Are you pushing the clutch/brake pedal down?? Have you cleaned all battery and cable connections? Was it stored outside, for the winter, or inside a closed building? Did you lay clothes dryer sheets on top of the engine, to keep the mousies away? If stored outside, was it covered with a tarp? Are you sitting on the seat when you try to start it, and pushing the brake pedal down? Check where the ground cable is attached to wherever it is attached, to the frame probably. Sand and clean that connection. Check the fuse in the circuit. Migh be blown, It is usually one of the flat square kind with 2 flat tips.
    If you stored it outside, or in a dampish place, the flywheel magnets and coil legs might be rusty, which will impede the starting and running! Does the engine seem to have compression-it will turn so far, by hand, then stop, or become hard to turn.

• njdpo
    14 years ago

is the mower deck engaged - been burned on that one once or twice myself.

• twelvegauge
    14 years ago

By the way, Glen, John Deere has an excellent web site with information on various problems. For a "no start" situation, go to the link below, then click on the "Lawn Tractor NoStart.pdf" button.

Here is a link that might be useful: John Deere help

• fryerdiesel
    13 years ago

Just wondering if you ever figured out your problem. I have the same machine with the exact same problem (good battery with a full charge but no crank when the ignition switch is turned) and do not have a wiring diagram so I'm very limited as far as troubleshooting it. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

• deeredoctor
    13 years ago

Need to know if a yellow mower deck or black mower deck to help and a little more info about the problem.

• Mark_Cavanaugh_pittsfordfd_org
    12 years ago

The engine cranks but it won't turnover. Changed spark plug with the same results, engine just spins but can't get to turn over. Verified choke works

• mownie
    12 years ago

***"The engine cranks but it won't turnover. Changed spark plug with the same results, engine just spins but can't get to turn over."***
    Crank, spin, turn over.......all mean the same thing. The engine is being rotated in an attempt to get it to start.
    Have you actually checked for the presence of spark at the plug when engine is being cranked.
    Knowing whether or not spark is present will help us help you.

• dazed_71_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I have the stx38 with the black deck. When I turn my key my engine will not crank over but I can jump the battery to the starter and the engine will start. Once in awhile you can cycle the pto switch and it will start on its own but now after the winter it won't work at all. My question is could it be my pto switch that is bad or is there a safety device for the pto that could be out?

• mownie
    12 years ago

If you want full attention to be given to this problem, please start a new thread. Hijacking and recycling old threads gets pretty confusing in the long run.
    There are currently 2 other threads going on that also have Deeres with starting or PTO related problems. You can make it 3 threads.

• pwerntz
    11 years ago

My 23 Year old STX-38 stopped mowing suddenly yesterday, and I thought that perhaps it had thrown a belt. Alas, no such luck. I noticed that flipping the PTO toggle switch produced neither sound nor mowing action. Faulty switch ?

• mownie
    11 years ago

Best that you test the wire at the PTO clutch connector for voltage when the PTO switch is turned on.
    Do this with the key on, engine NOT RUNNING.
    If you do not have voltage at the clutch when the PTO is turned on, your PTO switch may be bad or there could be a broken wire between the PTO switch and the PTO clutch.
    If you DO HAVE voltage at the PTO clutch wire connector but the PTO clutch will not engage.......your PTO clutch has likely failed.
    You might even get lucky and find that wire broken or unplugged.

• tomplum
    11 years ago

My 8E-XLS didn't seem right either- until I realized it was upside down! Another thing to check on these is the battery ground cable where it attaches to the engine mounting bolt. I've had them crank and start, but not maintain ground for the PTO effectively. I'm sure we'll be posting on this thread years from now....

• chuckby
    11 years ago

How do you jump start to the starter???????

• rcbe
    11 years ago

"how do you jump to the starter?"

Best prolly to first give us a detailed description of your tractor problem along with it's full model number off it's ID plate - will help the experts here to give you a more accurate answer.

Sponsored