Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flylgw1

exmark 23 hp Kohler engine

flylgw1
10 years ago

Mower runs good at full & half throttle, but wont' idle. Will shut off at idle. Sound like when you idle it down it's running on one cylinder and then shuts off. Cleaned carb,new plugs. Checked firing on both cylinders, both good at half throttle and the cylinder on right side is not firing as good as the left side on low idle. Any thoughts what this is? Could it be the coil or a burned valve?

Comments (8)

• mownie
    10 years ago

Which Kohler? Need more than HP for a descriptor.

• flylgw1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's a Kohler Command CV26

• mownie
    10 years ago

OK, you say you have cleaned the carb.
    Did you do a comprehensive dis-assembly of the carb to clean out the jets and their respective passages?
    Complaints of inability to stay running at slow idle RPM typically point to a blocked slow speed jet (aka pilot jet or idle jet) or a slow circuit air bleed passage.
    I doubt you have an ignition problem because this characteristically is pointing to a blocked passage in the slow speed fuel circuits.
    The amount of fuel handled by the slow speed circuit is so meager that loss of that circuit is hardly noticeable if you can get the engine RPM in the range where the main jet/power circuit rules.
    Cleaning out one of these carbs properly requires some gentle probing with small wires and generous blowing out with compressed air for best results.
    If you haven't already visited the Kohler website for a free download of the service manual in PDF format it will be best for you get that document before getting inside the carb.

• flylgw1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Mownie! Try it again...

• flylgw1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mownie, took carb to repair shop and had it cleaned. Put back on and it still does the same. Pulled plug wire off of right bank while engine running, it still would run off of the left bank cyclinder. Put wire back on right bank plug and took off left bank plug wire while running and engine would die. Sounded like the right bank is not firing below half speed. When you idle it down it will idle for a few seconds but sounds like it is only firing on one cyclinder. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

• mownie
    10 years ago

flylgw1, now that you add the results of this to the mix it does sound like the problem is in the ignition system.
    Kohler uses a fairly complex system on these engines and some are equipped with a Spark Advance Module (aka SAM).
    I have not ever had a chance to test out one of these systems but it sounds like the defective condition would be caused by the SAM as it only affects the running at lower RPM. I have no idea whether a defective SAM can affect only 1 or the other cylinders individually, but if it is possible for just one cylinder to be affected..........this may be what is going on here. I think the SAM must be able to control each cylinder individually rather than BOTH simultaneously, but I don't see that spelled out in the Kohler manual.
    Further, Kohler testing procedures outlined in Chapter 8 of the service manual refer to a Kohler proprietary electrical tester.
    Since it now seems certain that the engine is dying due to the loss of spark on one (or eventually) both cylinders, you will need to see if you can locate a Kohler service shop that has the Kohler test equipment to check the SAM.
    It might be faster (and cheaper) for you to remove the SAM yourself and carry it to that shop rather than haul the entire machine there. If all they have to do is put the SAM on a bench and hook up a meter they may jump right on it. If you take the whole machine to them you may have to "take a number and get in line".
    Maybe another member here knows of a poor boy way to test one, but I don't.
    Sorry for the bum steer on the carb. Back years ago I worked in a motorcycle shop and come spring time we would always get a good number of complaints about "It was running good when I parked last November, but now it won't idle. Runs good until you try to let it idle."
    Those complaints were always due to pilot jets clogged with varnish.

• flylgw1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mownie, Thanks for all your replies and suggestions on my mower problem. I agree with you, I too think it's electrical. Have to mow with it this week. We've had some much rain in Ky. last week. I'll take to shop next week. Again, thanks for all you help. Take care.

Larry

• mownie
    10 years ago

OK Larry, please post back later and let us know what you come up with.
    And keep an eye on this thread in case somebody offers an easier way of dealing with testing the SAM.

(another) Larry

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County