Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
john deere x320 transmission problem

Posted by kcir none (My Page) on
Sun, May 18, 14 at 18:00

the transmission in my x320 just went out...no power on slopes...800 hours cutting slightly hilly 1 acre...does this seem to be premature failure or normal

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: john deere x320 transmission problem

I take it still drives but won't pull a hill? Have you tried changing the trans fluid?

o

You have the Tuff Torq K58 trans, it's a K46 with a charge pump addition. Life of a K46 is about 900 hours, slightly better for a K58 I would assume. Heat is the main destroyer of transaxles. Keeping the transaxle fins clean is a must to have it last. See the link attached for how to rebuild a K46, but it is very long (72 pages). Change the fluid may help and is cheap - use 5W50 synthetic motor oil - 2 Qts. Some have had great results just sanding out scratches on the internal parts.

Here is a link that might be useful: K46 rebuild

o

I looked at the rebuild post I show above, especially see page 45 post 445 about resurfacing the parts inside. That page also talks about how to change the oil. Read every page and you will be an expert on transaxles. By the way check the simple thing - is the belt slipping?

o

• Posted by kcir none (My Page) on
    Mon, May 19, 14 at 10:41

have changed fluid and belt already....good when flat nothing on slopes.....

o

Make sure all the drive belt idler pulleys are free and spinning and that the tensioning mechanism is functioning correctly.

Since you changed the belt, did you use a real JD OEM belt or a pretender? Are you absolutely sure the belt is routed correctly?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here