Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rustyj14

Craftsman tractor hydro fluid?

rustyj14
15 years ago

I must refill a Craftsman hydro tranny, for a friend. I have found where it goes in, but there is a sticker saying to follow proper procedure-check the owners manual.

Of course, he can't find his manuals (I think his goat ate them)! The serial number is:917.258552

Also, what fluid should i use? The web-site won't tell me anything unless i sign in to receive lots of ads in the mail. Which i don't need, nor want.

Now, i don't know where the old fluid went, it probably leaked out, but he just wants me to fill it up.

And now this: I tried calling the local Sears service center, and they asked for my home phone number, so i gave it to them. Immediately there came a voice:"There seems to be a problem! Please give us your home phone number!" Again, i repeated the number, and again the asking for my home phone number! This went on 4 more times, and then i gave it up! Could it have been the fact i was calling on my cellular phone? But, how would they think the number i gave them was wrong, becuse they as much as said it was wrong?!? I didn't give them the cell phone number, because our home number is different. Progress!! YUK!!

Comments (7)

• bill_kapaun
    15 years ago

Owners manual (see how easy it is when you post the Sears#)

http://www.managemyhome.com/mmh/lis_pdf/OWNM/L0710614.pdf

HYDRO GEAR TRANSAXLE - MODEL NUMBER 310=0650

20W-50 (from web searching)

• corvetteguy
    15 years ago

I noticed that my Husquarvarna hydro also says
    add reg oil. I would have thought that it
    would use ATF .

My Pizza place also uses caller ID to verify
    that the call is Bogus. But they will still deliver.

Also just open a free AOL mail account to use for junk
    email sites where registrations are needed.

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Bill! I'll get right out to buy some!
    Rusty J.

• kvman56
    15 years ago

I have the same Hydro Gear Transaxle (310-0650), Sears 917.256571 tractor. The system is a sealed system. Can I convert this to a non sealed system. Sears will send someone to my home for $100 diagnostic then charge me $$$ to fix. I already know what the problem is...I was removing the wheel and the axle came out, I must of hit it a little too hard and broke the retaining ring.
    Thanks for any help in this matter.

• mownie
    15 years ago

If you mean adding a drain plug to allow easily dumping the oil. Probably not. These "econo-hydros" are built to meet a "price point" standard, not a duty standard. The OEMs believe that the oil will easily survive through the initial warranty period (and substantially longer) without causing damage or loss of performance, for which the OEM would be liable. With that concept in mind, the OEM can eliminate the need for including a drain port (which means less metal, less machine work, fewer parts, and less labor to build and assemble). There are other techniques and tricks for getting the old oil out (and you are about to experience "one of them" when, or if, the case is separated to repair the axle retainer.)

• woodinvirginia
    14 years ago

Most of them can be Drilled; Purged Of Air & Refilled, but SEARS is NOT going to tell you how to do it..

Garden Web refuses to let me post the link on where you can get this done.
    Google my tractor forum . Then look up Hydrostatic Craftsman

• esemilio
    14 years ago

Before taking any drastic actions (drilling) check the fluid level at the vent hole. I have a 97 MTD yardmachine and my tranny whined a bit and top speed was reduced - but was still very operational however. When I checked the fluid level (stuck a pencil in the hole), I found it to be about three inches from the top;the oil stain on the pencil surface did not look "that bad"; I added approximately 6oz. (20W50) to bring the level approximately 3/4" from top. Noticed significant improvement in the operation. Brought back memories of when it was new!

Sponsored
More Discussions