Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lkbum_gw

DANG!!!! Read this one, first time I've heard of this

lkbum_gw
13 years ago

ENIGMA, Ga. -- Police say an 82-year-old south Georgia man is dead after a rattlesnake bit him several times while he was fixing his lawnmower Wednesday.

Investigators believe Eddie Lee Dorminey of Berrien County was changing the lawnmower belt and didn't notice the snake was there.

Berrien County Sheriff's Office Lt. Larry Tabor says authorities first thought the man had died of a heart attack. But Tabor says when he looked under the lawnmower, he noticed a rattlesnake wrapped around a pulley.

He says authorities checked the body again, and saw puncture wounds on Dorminey's wrist. The venomous snake has been killed.

Enigma is between Tifton and Willacoochee

Comments (5)

• rustyj14
    13 years ago

Maybe he grabbed the snake instead of the belt, and had almost succeeded in getting it installed on the mower deck!
    Those new belts seem to have a mind of their own when it comes to trying to get them onto all of the pulleys!

• buzzard_flats
    13 years ago

Not to make light of this persons demise but installing Serpentine belts is enough to kill you.

• mssurveyor
    13 years ago

You now that is really bad. I think about snakes every time I do the edge rows around my property.

"But Tabor says when he looked under the lawnmower, he noticed a rattlesnake wrapped around a pulley."

"By Jade Bulecza - bio : email

BERRIEN COUNTY, GA (WALB) ÂA Berrien County man was killed by a rattlesnake.

Authorities say 82-year old Eddie Dorminey was repairing his lawnmower Wednesday morning.

A snake was hiding in the lawnmower and bit him several times.

This is the time of year when more snakes are out and active.

This is the rattlesnake that took the life of 82-year old Eddie Lee Dorminey Wednesday morning in Enigma.

It was first thought that Dorminey had died of a heart attack but when Lt. Larry Tabor looked under the lawnmower, he noticed a rattlesnake wrapped around a pulley.

"When we found out the snake was alive we checked out the body again and on his wrist he had several areas that were punctured, a snake bite in the main artery," said Lt. Tabor.

Investigators said Dorminey was apparently changing the lawnmower belt and didn't notice the snake was there.

"The sheriff got a stick and went to punch it and all of the sudden the snake started moving," said Lt. Tabor.

The venomous snake was then killed.

Dorminey's grandson says he misses the man who he called "Papa D."

"I miss him. I love him alot."

He says his "Papa D" was always there for his entire family.

"His lawnmower was like a tractor to him. I always helped him with his lawnmower."

Statistics show only about a dozen Americans die from snake bites per year.

Watch where you step, watch where you reach, because rattlesnakes can blend in with their environment. This time of year, they're on the move.

Rattlesnakes like to stay where it's cool and near a food source.

While his death is difficult to deal with, Dorminey's family wants others to be aware of the venomous snakes out there.

Eddie Dorminey's funeral will be Saturday at Lovein Funeral Home in Nashville."

We've got some timber rattlers around home. Mostly Copper Heads. Saw a King Snake kill and eat a Copper Head while mowing a couple of years ago. Got some pictures using my phone. I'm sure we have a Eastern Diamond or 2 around here. Been in the bush all my life. I've never had a close call. Things like this make me wonder.

MS

• tabarber84_gmail_com
    13 years ago

This was my great uncle, Uncle Eddie. The snake was wrapped around the pulley from the night before and the next morning he reached under the mower without looking when the snake struck him. Unfortunately, the mower cut the rattler off. He was struck 3 times on the right arm. Once on the upper arm, once on the wrist, and once in the palm of his hand. My cousin Cass was the one who killed the snake. The point is, please be careful in any type of field or wooded area. Freak accidents like this one do happen.

• lkbum_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

tabarber84,
    I'm sorry about your loss... I'm in N Georgia, I was bitten by either a Brown recluse or Black widow a few years back. It had taken up residense in my hip waders and I put them on wearing short pants. Didn't realize how bad it was until my leg muscle started dying at the bite. From that day forward, I have warned anyone who will listen to shake your clothes and shoes out prior to putting them on.