Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman mandrel housing substitute

Posted by sassvoor Z5NY (My Page) on
Wed, May 2, 12 at 19:21

I have a Craftsman YS4500 that I believe is 6 years old.Model 917.276683.
The mandrel housing broke and I ordered part #187281 listed as an approved substitute. I also got a new pulley, locknut, spacer washer, spindle shaft and deck mandrel bearing. I did not get the mounting bolts. When I took the old mandrel out the 4 bolts that held it to the deck broke off. The whole thing seems to be cast.
The new part is not threaded(mounting holes). Does anyone know if the original bolts were self tapping. I do not feel safe trying to tap this pot metal and believe I will get some long bolts to mount it but I am curious if any die hard Craftsman mechanics might be able to shed light on this? Thanks, Sharon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman mandrel housing substitute

Looking at the Sears site it seems the bolts are listed separately.

The replacement mandrel housing most likely is designed to use self-tapping replacement bolts.

Did you look up and but the parts from Sears Parts or from a third party online seller?

Call whoever you bought the housing from and tell them you need the bolts for that housing they sold you.

o

The bolts are 5/16" self tapping w/ flanged head. Any shop should have them. Nothing keeping you from threading the spindle and capping the bolts w/ lock nuts. Use a flat washer at the bolt head if you do this.

o

Thank you gentlemen; I got everything from Sears Parts but great to know I can get the bolts locally. Happy Mowing, Sharon

o

I did what tomplum said....worked fine, probably better than the original set up....not hard to thread it...

o

It's never hard to thread a steel self-tapping bolt into pot metal housings.

A dab on Anti-Seize on those self-tapping bolts will make them easy to remove the next time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here