Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danneauxs

transaxle slipping?

danneauxs
10 years ago

Hi,
I have a 5 yo mtd model 700. I live in TN on a very hilly (some steep) 8.5 acre lot. The font of the lot is quite steep and I try to mow so I'm not going up and down but across but when I turn around at the end of the cut I have to go down. since I have about 1.5 acres of STEEP incline and about 3 acre of slight incline I use a 46" swisher finish mower towed behind the mtd.
What's happening is when I head downhill with the speed set to 1 something is "letting go" and and I'll roll forward fast then the transaxle will catch and slow me down and then let go on and off. I DO use the brake but it's had not to lock the brake up and just start sliding.
Yup, I should have sloped my way across and down all these years to avoid undue strain but live and learn.
The question is could this be a slipping lower drive belt? That belt is on was changed 1.5 seasons ago and the upper drive was changed mid last season.
I am ordering 2 new belts just in case.
If it is the TA does anyone have any thoughts as to what inside might need replacing? This is pretty mechanical I guess but it doesn't look too bad if it's not the diff. I'm basically just looking for a SWAG before ordering the $300 transaxle itself.
Thanks, sorry about lousy message but I sliced 2 fingertips at work and it hurts to typet.
Danneauxs

Comment (1)

Sponsored