Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pvel_gw

Sears small turning radius claim

pvel
12 years ago

I am looking for a riding lawn mower. Sears advertises a lawn mower with a tight turning radius, 6 degrees. Is this a good feature? The competing brands, JD for instance have a turning radius in the teens.

Comments (7)

• rcmoser
    12 years ago

Sears I think are MTD's the model you probably looking at is zero turn LT. Guessing, that when you turn the steering wheel it disengages one rear wheel and the other one has power to it and makes it spin tight. Usually the front wheels are just castors. The JD is question is regular LT that steers for the front so IMO can't be compared to the Zero turning of the MTD models, totally different design. I would test drive them and get what you like. I don't see why this feature would make difference? It may tear the grass up more till you get use to it.

• larso1
    12 years ago

Most of the Craftsman lawn tractors (not zero turns) now have the so-called "turn tight technology" with an 8-in. turning radius. That's really good. I have not heard any of the Craftsman tractors are MTD, maybe there are some bottom end models that are. Most are made by AYP (American Yard Products) that also makes the Husqvarna brand.

• txtom50
    12 years ago

What's more important to me is how hard or easy a tractor is to steer. I use two different models - one drives like it has power steering - the other like a big truck without PS. It makes a difference how tired you are after you sit on one for two hours. I'd sure want to test drive any new purchase I'd make in the future.

• earthworm
    12 years ago

I have the same question and probably should have pre-searched.
    And we cannot confuse a tight turn tractor with a zero turn riding lawn mower.
    I have watched a zero-turn in action.
    Amazing !
    But the amazing one is twice the price as well...on a commercial basis, it will pay off.
    The test drive....is it possible to test drive a Craftsman ?

• gdj204
    12 years ago

I think Sears was using mostly Husqvarna clones for their LTs a few years ago, but I think in the last year or so, their lower-priced models are being made by MTD, with the higher-end LTs being Husqvarna clones.

• earthworm
    12 years ago

I am so stupid.
    I tried discussing this with a Sears salesman.
    What an exercise in futility..
    I do like the idea of a dual(actually quad) purpose machine, doing leaves in the fall, snow in the winter, tilling in the spring, and mowing in the summer.
    Now, I do not believe any one machine can do all four well...
    One ? yes.
    Two ? maybe...
    I have a half acre lot with, in the future, many trees.
    And to WheelyBoy, no, I never expected to be able to test drive a Sears tractor...or anything from any box store. There is an expense to "saving" money.