Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shamsi_gw

Transmission BElt Change on CubCadet lt1042

shamsi
14 years ago

Does anyone have any instructions on how to change the tranmission drive belt (not the mower deck belt) on LT1042? Mine broke today and the manual says to take it to a repair shop.

Thanks.

Comments (9)

• tomplum
    14 years ago

These, in theory aren't awful to do. The problem comes in that EVERY one I have done, the drive pulley on the crankshaft will not come off. The solution is to remove the engine bolts and shift/ lift the engine to get clearance as the over qualified engineers built the guide into the frame pan. I pull the hood and lift the tractor- could be done w/out. PTO clutch/lock bracket comes off, deck comes off, 4 engine bolts(1 of the 4 engine bolts have to come off in such a way that one of the steering links need to come off.)Omit the last part if your pulley actually does come off. The rest is roll the belt over the front pulley, then the back fan/ pulley- then through the two pulley actuator and over the tensioner pulley. Like bakin' a cake... Impact wrench is a great idea to remove the PTO clutch. Re-apply loctite to the bolt when installing. 954-0461 I believe is the correct belt. Look under the hood for the part # to be sure.

• shamsi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks a lot. That does not seem too bad. I will try it.

Thanks again.

• shamsi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tomplum, thanks for your advice. Just changed the belt. It was easy. The engine pully came right off so I did not have to unbolt the engine.
    Thanks again.

• razor45177
    13 years ago

Iam trying to replace my belt myself as well. Iam having difficulty removing the last portion of the pto. It will not come off the crank. Any suggestions? I tried loosing up all the bolts on the motor, but the pto prevents me from getting enough clearance , so Iam sure it has to come off. Iam half afraid to pull the one engine bolt out all the way because of its location. Any help would be appreciate. thanks,

• shamsi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Razor45177,

I am sure you have takan off the PTO itself, right? If by the "last portion of the PTO" you mean the engine pulley that is exposed after you take off the PTO, it may be stuck to the crank shaft. Good news is that you don't have to take it off. You can loosen the engine bolts partially and move the engine around a bit to slip the new belt over the engine pully. I hope this helps.

• razor45177
    13 years ago

No, the pto pulley came off and the, center portion of the pto came off, but the part of the pto that has the plug on it is stuck on the mower and I can not get it to come off for anything. any ideas?

• shamsi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmmm, mine came out all in one piece. Don't know what to tell you. Sorry. I hope it work out for you.

• razor45177
    13 years ago

thanks, Iam clueless, guess I will have to throw it back together and leave it to the pros.....

• sheaffersandy_rocketmail_com
    12 years ago

Go online to www.cubcadet.com and downloaded the manual in pdf if you dont have one. The manual and servie manual has instructions. They tell you to take it in but it can be done at home. The transmission pulley above the PTO can be pulled down in order to install the belt. The transmission pulley can get rusted and you wont be able to lower it. I had to replace the pulley. The transmission belt is 954-0461 and you need to have the parking brake engaged to release the tension on the belt to get it over the last two pulleys. If you have to remove the PTO you need to disconnect the battery. Remove the negitive first then the positive. When your ready to reconnect battery start with the positive first then the negitive.