Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baymee

Kohler 16HP no start...Ignition module failure?

baymee
16 years ago

Model 2166 13A-254G100 Mfg. Code 1C310G 30042 16HP Kohler

This engine has all the classic symptoms of an engine out of time. It spits gas out of the carb and backfires out of the carb and muffler, but makes no attempt to start whatsoever, not even with starting fluid.

It only has 93 hours on the meter. Do these engines have known problems for electronic ignition failure?

Would I check the ignition with a timing light? and are there marks to do this?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments (19)

• macguy
    16 years ago

If you know it has an ignition module, then call around and see if any mower dealers/repair shop can test it.

• cranheim
    16 years ago

It might be a partially sheared Flywheel Key. Charles Ranheim

• bill_kapaun
    16 years ago

Sure it's a Kohler?
    Those model#'s don't look right.

• baymee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's a Cub with a Kohler. I've never seen a sheared key on a belt drive engine, but it sure acts that way. With only 90 hours on the engine I don't suspect it, but it has me baffled.

Any way to check the engine timing with a light?

• wink05
    16 years ago

I have a 15HP Kohler that has had similiar problems, turned out to be a poor connection (wiring harness connector) in the hot wire going to the fuel solenoid cutoff located on the bottom of the carb bowl (assuming yours has a similiar set up) might be worth checking........FWIW

• baymee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I checked that already when I wanted to see if there was bad gas in the bowl. Thanks.

• bill_kapaun
    16 years ago

"Model 2166 13A-254G100 Mfg. Code 1C310G 30042 16HP Kohler"
    You ask about an engine problem and post all kinds of tractor#'s. 16HP Kohler is the only engine description you give.
    Kohler made 16HP engines in-
    Magnum
    Magnum twin
    Triad
    K series
    Command (& Pro)
    Courage

"Do these engines have known problems for electronic ignition failure?

Would I check the ignition with a timing light? and are there marks to do this?"

Maybe

• baymee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK, Sorry, it's a Kohler Command OHV.

• bill_kapaun
    16 years ago

I'm not aware of any "known" problems with the modules, but that doesn't mean there isn't an occasional failure.
    IF you have a Volt/Ohm meter, you can do a couple tests. Some tests may require a "special" Kohler meter.
    Your engine "might" also have the SAM aka Spark Advance Module. That makes testing more difficult.
    No timing light/marks.

You can download the service manual at the link-

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

• baymee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Bill, I'll do the tests.

• tomplum
    16 years ago

They do fail and give symptoms much as you describe. Sometimes they lose spark completely, sometimes they just fire sporatically- in which they can pass the ohms test. I'm guessing it doesn't have smart spark on a Cub . Valve issues another possibility.

• edsacre
    16 years ago

the service manual will give ohm readings for the module. Mine went out & was sporadic at first so it was hard to figure out. Do you have any spark at all?

• baymee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I reposted this question. I replaced the module with no effect. It had spark that would jump 3/8" gap.

• reidc
    16 years ago

Baymee-

Did you ever get resolution on this? I am having sorta the same issue with my 2166. It just died, although this is the third such occurrance over the last couple of months.
    I have checked fuel pump, cleaned out the bowl under the carb float and replaced badly cracked fuel line.

Mine will attempt to start, and will actually catch for less than a second, and then die. I want to try a module, but they are $99 bux. I also read somewhere else- to check the clearance on the magneto... don't know how to do that.

Chris

• baymee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, but I guess I forgot to post the result.

The flywheel key had sheered. The engine had 90 hours and I never suspected it. When I went to turn the nut to remove the flywheel, it was only finger tight. It was never touched since the factory.

• reidc
    16 years ago

Thanks--

I just brought mine to the shop... gave up.

Chris

• shackleton
    13 years ago

I have a 16hp magnum vertical twin with no spark, I have reset the air gap several times with no effect. I have the tried it with the kill wire on and off the coil. the readings from the coil seem to be okay. I would like to see if anyone has seen this before I go buy a new module.

• Alont
    12 years ago

Hi I am working on a 12.5 kohler command.
    The ignition module [no points] was replaced with a new $74 one before it was handed to me.With the new module fitted ther is NO spark, even with the kill wire disconnected.
    The magnets have some magnetism, enough I would have thought, to provide a spark.
    Is the new module faulty?
    Alont

• hickorylake
    6 years ago

Koehler command 23.5 hp

seems like no gas, did some checking and found dead spot in ignition switch

caused fuel solenoid to close not allowing fuel to carb, pull solenoid and watch for function with key movement, make sure to ground the solenoid, when I released key from starter engagement jet would release from magnet

result is faulty ignition switch

hope this helps

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler