Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mooseman115

John Deere LX176

mooseman115
17 years ago

I have a John Deere LX176 that I'm trying to get started. Good battery, new fuel, new filter, new plug ... fuel line clear from tank and clear from fuel pump to carb. Very little gas in clear fuel filter. Tried starting fluid and gas in carb and it fires fine but dies.

Fuel pump?

Comments (12)

• johndeere
    17 years ago

Fuel pump

• skeedog
    17 years ago

Is this a mower that you have recently acquired? The 14 hp Kawasaki (FC420V) engines are notorius for hard starting. More often than not, it is the choke plate not fully closing.

• constantinotobio
    17 years ago

I'm having something similar happening now.

Engine fired up in the shed for about 30 seconds and died. Pushed to the garage and started troubleshooting.

With a little starting fluid in the carb throat, engine fires up but dies once that stuff burns off.

I've disconnected the inlet fuel line from the fuel pump- can blow through it and make bubbles in the fuel tank.

Disconnecting the fuel line from the carb, no fuel squirts out when I turn her over.

Connecting the fuel pump directly to a jerry can, no start, even if I elevate the jerry can to make a siphon.

At this point... all signs point to the fuel pump, right?

• constantinotobio
    17 years ago

SUCCESS!!!

Here's what I did to fix the pump on my LX176.

First, I diagnosed that I was getting good crankcase vacuum pulses. I hooked up my vacuum gauge to the hose on the crankcase, and cranked the engine. Indeed, I was seeing pulses that were peaking at 6in/hg. These should be enough to pulse the pump.

Next, I removed the pump and started playing around with it. I sucked on the vacuum nipple, and could feel the diaphragm inside move, and air was rushing out the little vent screen on the pump.

So far so good.

I also could feel air rush out the outlet nipple. Nothing on the inlet nipple.

Also, I could blow through either direction. Hmm. Doesn't sound like a pump ought to work this way.

So I started spraying from the inlet and outlet carburetor spray. Perhaps we were gummed a little inside.

I also start cycling the vacuum again with my mouth, sucking a little harder each time. And then, I feel something inside give a little- and the diaphragm was either moving more now, or I broke something.

I could feel little puffs out the outlet, but now I could feel little tugs on the inlet. Hmm. That seems good.

I give a few more sprays of carb cleaner for good measure and cycle a bunch more.

Next, I attach the inlet hose to the fuel filter on the mower, and start the suck cycling. I could see the fuel level rising in the filter, and after a little bit more, a few splashes of fuel started coming out the outlet. Sweet!

So, I hook everything up, start the engine, and after a few seconds of cranking more than usual (presumably I was filling the carb bowl), SUCCESS! The SOB fired right up.

I left her idling for a few minutes to make sure, and she kept purring along.

A lot of the stuff I'd been reading on this type of pump came from the vintage Japanese motorcycle scene. Should come as no surprise that this Kawasaki engine works the same way.

I think one thing I'll do is keep an eye out on ebay for a spare pump to have.

• wrongallalong
    17 years ago

OK, this is a totally non-technical response, but here goes: On the LX178 I used to own, I always had to start the engine at the lowest possible throttle setting whenever the weather was cool or cold and let it warm up for several minutes. Then to bring it up to full throttle, it would have to be "goosed" several times (vroom, vroom). If I increased the throttle at any sort of steady pace, the engine would die. I never had a problem in warm temperatures, but once I figured out a way to start up in the winter, I stopped investigating. The LX178 had a 15hp Kawasaki instead of a 14, but it's worth a try. Good luck.

• constantinotobio
    17 years ago

Well, the pump died again today. Called my local Deere dealer and they didn't have it in stock. On a lark, I brought the old pump to the Snapper/Scag dealer down the street. Turns out that I could replace the square Mikuni pump on the PC420V engine with a round plastic Mikuni pump, Briggs and Stratton number 808656.

It turns out that today's fuels with their higher ethanol content are not good to these 90's-era pumps, according to the counterman. I took my old pump apart, and the rubber diaphragm inside was all distended. Could just be natural wear, but the ethanol might not be helping.

• pacmom23
    17 years ago

We recently purchased a home with 5 acres and need to purchase the best lawn tractor we can afford (the amount is dwindling as we try to meet our top priorities). We plan on staying for many years. Two acres are used as horse paddocks and we don't plan on needing to mow this area. I have read through much of the forum and realize that John Deere, Cub Cadet, and Craftsman are popular. We would appreciate any insight you can offer. I am humbled beyond description. We have already benefited greatly, as it relates to the barn and hope that actually posting this question will yield the information needed to make a decision.

• toro-2007
    16 years ago

I am getting no fuel into the new fuel filter. No pressure in the hoses either. When I spray carb cleaner the engine starts until the cleaner burns up. Any help out there?

• passthegravy
    16 years ago

Why not start a new thread instead of dredging up one from 8 months ago? And in your new thread, you could tell everyone what type of tractor you are having problems with.

• mboccabell_yahoo_com
    16 years ago

I have the same tractor and had the same problem. I went to speak to a John Deere Mechanic and he told me to loosen the gas cap and believe it or not it worked. There is a small breather hole in the top of the gas cap and when it gets clogged the tank builds up a vacuum and stops the flow of fuel. Clean out the hole with a paper clip and good luck.

• tonynevada
    13 years ago

I have a problem with my LX176. The dash indicator light goes on and off intermittently and there is a rattle noise that's constant. When I engage the PTO I smell the belt burning. About a year ago I had a bearing replaced. Any ideas?

• gus68chris_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I have a john deere lx 176 it will start and run then gas starts pouring out a lil hose in the side of the "carb". It will run with it on full choke or spit n sputter at full throttle with gas pouring out. Any ideas on my problem? Is this lil clear hose suppost to be hooked up any place?