Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
george44_gw

Inline fuel valve/shutoff...

George44
12 years ago

Hi All!

I just bought an inexpensive, 1/4", all plastic, red and black, barbed inline fuel valve. When open, I can't see thru it... I was hoping for a "full port" ball valve, but for $5, I guess that wasn't reasonable.

Has anyone ever seen the inside of one of these or know how it works? Is there a piece of flex tubing that gets pinched by a cam. My concern is if there is any restriction when open, my 14HP Kohler may refuse to start/run.

TIA!

George44

Comments (7)

• tomplum
    12 years ago

Yes, every once in a while one comes apart. The disc hole lines up and voila- fuel comes through. These are used quite a bit on Kohler Commands w/ no problem. If you are having runability issues on a gravity feed system, stick with a either a small teardrop or a 2505007s filter with a new line and clamps to lessen the air entrapment issue.

• George44
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the reply... No, there are no run issues. I'll be using the shutoff to temporarily "repair" what I know is a leaky carb. valve (every so often the garage smells like a gas station!). Would a 25 050 21-S filter be OK on gravity feed? Also, what is the preferred shutdown procedure once the shutoff valve is in use? I intend to shut the valve while its running at idle and once it stops, turn the switch off. Is there a better way? Are there any startup issues this could cause?
    TIA,
    George

• User
    12 years ago

Easier to use vice-grips, hemostats, or an IV clamp to shut off the fuel for temporary repair.

Look up your engine in it's manual and get EXACTLY the correct Kohler filter for it. No third party or universal.

Here are the different filters and their micron rating with revision info...http://www.perr.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?search=action&category=KOH3&keywords=all

Click on each picture for info.

• walt2002
    12 years ago

You are wise to install an inline fuel shut off and use it regardless of temp need for repair. Do you know when the next carb float needle leak is going to happen resulting in gas fumes in your garage?

Walt Conner

• rcbe
    12 years ago

Also - since you smelled gas - a good chance of having a fire... or possibly raw gas has leaked down into your crankcase oil (a common occurrence with leaking carbs)..

Pull the oil dipstick and smell it - if yuo smell gas, get that diluted oil changed pronto before yer engine seizes up.

regardless, get that inline shutoff valve installed and use it religiously. Stick with the correct OEM fuel filter for yer particular engine as mentioned above.

• javert
    12 years ago

On a gravity-feed Kohler use ONLY the 25 050 007-S fuel filter. The other Kohler filter is for engines with fuel pumps which force the gasoline through the filter; gravity alone will NOT pull enough fuel through those filters.

Also, turn the shutoff valve to OFF every time you're through using the machine. Personally, I turn mine off with the engine running and let it die of fuel starvation.

• tomplum
    12 years ago

Actually the 21 filter is a non pump filter and is the same 75 micron rating basically as the the small filter. Sometimes the larger filter creates issues to where they lose fuel supply and create a stall. Filter spec is really by application of the equipment it is on as well. Some just don't have enough head to allow use of the larger filter. Even the little disc Briggs type filters can create issues. The float valve comes in the kit and is easy to replace. Kohler offers the seat kit on many of these now if the inlet valve only doesn't do the trick. Pricey compared to a Briggs w/ Walbro on it tho.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012
More Discussions