Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pocajun

155c john deere lawn mower pto clutch

pocajun
10 years ago

I was mowing and all of a sudden the blades stopped turning. The engine runs fine and found some slightly burnt connections on the three yellow wires at the pto switch connection. replaces pto switch and blew 20 amp fuse. replaced fuse and the new pto gets hot where the three yellow wires come in. seems like the engine changes a little when I try to engage the pto switch. Tried to trace the three yellow but hard to do. I believe one of them goes to the pto clutch and the other two go to a relay switch. Any ideas. Thanks.

Comments (21)

• tomplum
    10 years ago

On this tractor the very first thing I would look for is a loose engine. The 4 bolts that attach the engine to the body drop out one at a time until you are left with an engine that moves and rubs through the harness at the rear of the engine near the base.

• pocajun
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It was the voltage regulator putting out too many ohms at the clutch.

• mownie
    10 years ago

May I have your permission to use that answer?

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

So, How many OHMS was the VR putting out?????????

• pocajun
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes

• justalurker
    10 years ago

Transcendental diagnosis...

ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmms.

• pocajun
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I believe the tech said 39 and its supposed to be around 17 but I'm not positive. When I pick it up I will find out. He also said sometimes even though the clutch checks out ok that it will not function properly after an overload like this. And we won't find that out til they replace the voltage regulator and try it out.

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

Hopefully, you misunderstood the tech, or else he's taking you for a ride.

• mownie
    10 years ago

Ohms My Gosh
    I think I hear the Moody Blues playing sitar.

• justalurker
    10 years ago

Wouldn't that be George Harrison on sitar?

• mownie
    10 years ago

Justin Hayward, on their song "Om" (aum).

This post was edited by mownie on Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 10:17

• justalurker
    10 years ago

Absolutely right... slight mental pause here.

• mownie
    10 years ago

JAL, I like the transcendental diagnosis image and caption soooooo muuuch........................that I am going to print me a copy and hang it on my toolbox at work.
    It will probably fly over most heads like an SR-71 (same era as me).

• justalurker
    10 years ago

Sounds like we're around the same vintage.

• mownie
    10 years ago

Thanks JAL.

• justalurker
    10 years ago

The Transcendental Electrical Diagnostic chant....

ohmssss... voltssss... ampssss... wattssss.

Repeat as required until truly enlightened diagnosis is achieved.

This post was edited by justalurker on Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 12:10

• mownie
    10 years ago

voltssss

• justalurker
    10 years ago

Another mental pause...

• mownie
    10 years ago

LMAO

• teguhws
    10 years ago

Hi pocajun

Did you resolve this issue? I have similar problem. I have not replaced my PTO clutch yet, cause when I unplugged and plugged the PTO Clutch wire harness, the cutting deck started. But after several minutes I have the same issue, cutting deck is not moving.

• pocajun
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am waiting for the pto clutch which I ordered to come in. I took the old one off and it was in REALLY bad shape, bearing was about to come apart and LOTS if rust. They did repalce the voltage regulator but still not sure the old one was bad. It kind of sounds like you may have some wire issure in your pto clutch plug in. Even though the wires look like they are ok sometimes they are broken inside, I would check them out real close. Good luck