Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
155c john deere lawn mower pto clutch

Posted by pocajun z9aLa (My Page) on
Wed, May 29, 13 at 20:49

I was mowing and all of a sudden the blades stopped turning. The engine runs fine and found some slightly burnt connections on the three yellow wires at the pto switch connection. replaces pto switch and blew 20 amp fuse. replaced fuse and the new pto gets hot where the three yellow wires come in. seems like the engine changes a little when I try to engage the pto switch. Tried to trace the three yellow but hard to do. I believe one of them goes to the pto clutch and the other two go to a relay switch. Any ideas. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 155c john deere lawn mower pto clutch

On this tractor the very first thing I would look for is a loose engine. The 4 bolts that attach the engine to the body drop out one at a time until you are left with an engine that moves and rubs through the harness at the rear of the engine near the base.

o

It was the voltage regulator putting out too many ohms at the clutch.

o

May I have your permission to use that answer?

o

So, How many OHMS was the VR putting out?????????

o

Yes

o

Transcendental diagnosis...

ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmms.

o

I believe the tech said 39 and its supposed to be around 17 but I'm not positive. When I pick it up I will find out. He also said sometimes even though the clutch checks out ok that it will not function properly after an overload like this. And we won't find that out til they replace the voltage regulator and try it out.

o

Hopefully, you misunderstood the tech, or else he's taking you for a ride.

o

Ohms My Gosh
I think I hear the Moody Blues playing sitar.

o

Wouldn't that be George Harrison on sitar?

o

Justin Hayward, on their song "Om" (aum).

This post was edited by mownie on Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 10:17

o

Absolutely right... slight mental pause here.

o

JAL, I like the transcendental diagnosis image and caption soooooo muuuch........................that I am going to print me a copy and hang it on my toolbox at work.
It will probably fly over most heads like an SR-71 (same era as me).

o

Sounds like we're around the same vintage.

o

Thanks JAL.

o

The Transcendental Electrical Diagnostic chant....

ohmssss... voltssss... ampssss... wattssss.

Repeat as required until truly enlightened diagnosis is achieved.

This post was edited by justalurker on Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 12:10

o

voltssss

o

Another mental pause...

o

LMAO

o

Hi pocajun

Did you resolve this issue? I have similar problem. I have not replaced my PTO clutch yet, cause when I unplugged and plugged the PTO Clutch wire harness, the cutting deck started. But after several minutes I have the same issue, cutting deck is not moving.

o

I am waiting for the pto clutch which I ordered to come in. I took the old one off and it was in REALLY bad shape, bearing was about to come apart and LOTS if rust. They did repalce the voltage regulator but still not sure the old one was bad. It kind of sounds like you may have some wire issure in your pto clutch plug in. Even though the wires look like they are ok sometimes they are broken inside, I would check them out real close. Good luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here