Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
1saxman

18.5 HP B&S Oil Capacity

1saxman
11 years ago

My brother has an old riding mower that originally came from Lowe's with a B&S 18.5 HP engine. They got it used with no manual. It does have an oil filter. He wants to change the oil soon and doesn't know how much to buy. He already has two 20 oz bottles of B&S 30W. I told him it's not a big deal since it has a dipstick. Just get it right on the stick, run the engine for a minute then add more if needed to account for the new filter. But it would still be nice to know that number if anyone has it handy.

Comments (16)

• walt2002
    11 years ago

With a little searching you can find the owner's manual on line. In 60+ years of working with small engines, I have never concerned myself with how many oz. of oil they held.

Walt Conner

• rustyj14
    11 years ago

Yep--thats the way to do it--just pour in some oil, then pull the dip-stick, check it and if it needs more, then pour some more in! Careful wiping and checking will get the job done. Why worry how much ounces, or whatever, when ya have the dip-stick ?!
    American short-cutting invented the dip stick. And, if ya really want to know how many ounces/liters/pints/quarts, keep a careful check of how much oil ya pour into the crank-case! Which won't matter, as long as ya don't fill the crank-case over the full mark on the dip-stick. SHEESH!

• mownie
    11 years ago

The only reason someone might want to know the capacity in ounces (or other meas) is because they might want to know how much oil they should purchase to do an oil change if they are not familiar with that engine.
    Otherwise do what the rest of us do (as was already stated by 2 OTHER old men like me) :^)

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

Download the owners manual from the Briggs site.

Briggs sells at least 2 different length filters so that's a couple oz. difference. + you don't get all the old oil out so there's an additional difference.....

• 1saxman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jeez; you guys are just as funny over here as you are on the mower forum. You should get jobs in an oil change joint - that's how they do it too - put in some oil, check the stick, put in some oil....that's ignorance.

• walt2002
    11 years ago

"that's ignorance"

thanks for the compliment saxman.

Walt Conner

• mownie
    11 years ago

***"that's ignorance"***
    Naaahhhh! Quite to the contrary. Ignorance would be the case if one were completely clueless about how to determine the correct amount of oil to put into an engine.
    Learning how to determine when enough oil has been added to the engine by reading the dipstick is nothing short of brilliant enlightenment.

• mownie
    11 years ago

Select the subject "18.5 H.P." engine from the chart.

{{gwi:328773}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Due conversions

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

Ignorance is filling it with what the book says it should take instead of the proper amount to the fill line!
    What a punk!

• User
    11 years ago

Ignorance can be cured but stupidity is a lifelong affliction.

• tomplum
    11 years ago

Whew- rough crowd! Don't you know dump one quart down and then fill the funnel once and there ya go!

• User
    11 years ago

Funny how many people ask questions on self-help forums when they can Google and get the answers quicker...

• tomplum
    4 years ago

On the contrary. We've all done years of personal growth and therapy since this thread was started plus downloaded an app for our smart phones that all we need to do is scan the engine and specs come up on the screen. Ewalk even has a smart funnel which dispenses the proper amount of oil. He usually even drains the old stuff out first.... ;-)

• wheely_boy
    4 years ago

I resemble that remark.

• ssewalk1
    4 years ago

Bahaha !

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor