Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dwilken_gw

b & g ohv 15.5 hp help!!!

dwilken
11 years ago

folks- i have a briggs & stratton 28N707 15.5 hp ohv engine in my sabre. it was starting hard so i adjusted the valves as per instructions. to .004. it still started hard, so i figured gas was getting thru gasket and causing pressure. pulled head & replaced gasket. started right up, so i took it off the stand and it hasn't started since. got a back fire once. that's it. rechecked valves- still .004. changed plug, checked spark. plug has no oil on it, just gas. i'm mystified and looking for suggestions. when i pulled the gasket, the old one looked ok to me, so maybe that's a hint- help!!!!!!

Comments (4)

• rustyj14
    11 years ago

Better seek local professional help! RJ

• doccod
    11 years ago

Dwilken,

I'm having a similar problem with mt 13.5 OHV intek B&S. Ran fine before low hours, replaced coil, have good spark/flywheel key intact (did you check that?), and still won't start even with priming, adusted valves. I am starting to suspect compression, I have a compression gauge but don't know what is considered good, if it's like an automobile 90-110 pounds is usually the very low end.

• walt2002
    11 years ago

Remove the cooling shroud, flywheel screen, flywheel nut or bolt and look down the key way. Do the key ways line up?

By the way, you did not adjust the valves properly. For detailed instructions on adjusting the valves plus other helpful hints, address below, put in proper format and remind me, model number etc.

Walt Conner
    wconner5 at frontier dot com

• dwilken
    Original Author
    11 years ago

walt, great to hear from you. tried to email you earlier but had an old address. it came back to me. i was praying you'd jump on. i will try your email address now.- dave in ohio

and to doccod- thanks for reply and yes i did check the flywheel etc.... all looks good. i'm going to dive back in this weekend.- i'm at dwilken@bex.net

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer