Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike171

Simplicity grass catcher

mike171
10 years ago

I have a 44" deck on my Simplicity Broadmore tractor. I would like to get a grass catcher attachment because my grass is extremely thick and I hate all the clippings. I was told that a deck over 38" requires a turbine for it to be effective. Can someone tell me if this is correct and if so does the turbine have any issues. I already priced the turbine with the bags and it comes to about $1000. Thanks.

Comments (11)

• rcbe
    10 years ago

have you looked into a mulching kit setup for your machine? Much easier on the landfills, yer wallet and your lawn...

• mike171
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My grass is very thick. I do not think a mulching kit will give me the results I want. I do not want ANY clippings. I now use a lawn sweeper to pick up the clippings. It works but it is very time consuming. After I cut I then have to tow the sweeper over my yard which is 1.3 acres.

• rcbe
    10 years ago

Well, that's a LOT of free fertilizer you're tossing away into the local dump... yer nickel. Properly mulched grass usually disappears in a cuppla days - no clumps.no sweeper. JMHO.

• rcbe
    10 years ago

Having grown up with cottonwoods, you prolly have a legit excuse, larso... :)

• donc1966
    10 years ago

I have a Simplicity Conquest with a 50" deck, Turbo blower and tripple bagger. The system works great and has been trouble free for ten years. Works great for picking up leaves as well. When I bought my mower, I was told the mower decks with 3 blades required the turbo blower for the bagger to work effectively. If your 44" deck is a 2 blade, you might get away without the turbo blower attachment (you could always add it later if needed). I never mow my grass when it's wet. A couple of things to think about. You will be emptying that bagger quite a few times over 1.3 acres. Not sure if the Broadmore will accept the triple bagger. With the turbo blower attached, you'll need to re-level the deck due to the extra weight of the turbo blower. The triple bagger is heavy and awkward to remove from the tractor.

{{gwi:316547}}

This post was edited by donc1966 on Sun, May 19, 13 at 19:32

• 1111gd1111 3b NW WI
    10 years ago

I have a Broadmoor with a 38" deck. Same thick grass as you. Tried to bag w/o the turbo....way too much clogging. Bought the turbo...no more issues. 16 years later.....still going strong!

• wheely_boy
    10 years ago

Sure you can get the mulch plug and take advantage of all of the free nutriants, but if you let the grass grow longer than a half inch, that doesn't work either; you will leave clumps and grass turds. It is fun to watch my neighbor cut his 2 acre lawn twice a week this time of year. Now THAT is a waste of time.

• mike171
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I had heard that the turbines belt has had some issues in the past but that was corrected by the manufacturer. I guess I will be making the purchase. What do you mean by needing to level the deck??
    I'm sure I will be making alot of stops to empty the bags but it can't be any more time consuming then using the sweeper. The mulch kit is definetly out. I already cut my grass at the highest length the tractor allows.

• donc1966
    10 years ago

The mower deck leveling instructions should be in your owner's manual. There may be further instructions with the turbo blower. The reason for leveling is because the weight of the turbo blower cantilevered off the end of your mower deck will tend to raise the opposite side, giving an uneven cut.

Here is a link that might be useful: Deck leveling

• sparky_ben_02
    10 years ago

Do any of you gentlemen with the blowers have any way to measure the rpm's they turn? I am trying to retrofit one off a Simplicity onto my Troy Bilt...

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer