Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Safety warning lamps

Posted by buzzard_flats California (My Page) on
Mon, May 24, 10 at 21:11

Since I figure I will mowing along the roadside and hauling my trailer around to my other gate from time to time Iam thinking about installing a couple of safety flashers.

First thought was just get a wig-wag flasher and install a couple marker lights front and rear but I wanted brighter! The flasher moduals are $20-40 + lights (standard marker lights or LED lights)

Well a bit of searching brought me back to a website I had known for emergency equipment, they have very bright LED strobes that are small, surface mounted and can be set to various flash patterns to alternate, synch etc.

Only 'caveat emptor' I can offer is make sure you power these things through the battery system, the tractor I am getting has a second alternator winding without a diode so the headlamps run on AC NOT DC! Headlamps do not care it it's AC or DC but electronics will go poof in a second connected to the wrong one. Just adding a diode will not work either as you would still need to "filter" the DC from half wave to full wave current.

So only connect these things to your ignition switch + terminal when in the run position or have an auxilary switch to connect direct to the battery (with a fuse!)

So what is this mystery device? Basicly a Whelen TIR3 LED strobe but marketed by Galls as their Item# GR309 @ $39/ea

Hope I am not breaking the rules here by posting that vague info. Anyone who may have to scoot across a road should have something to alert oncoming trafic and from my research seems either amber or white is most visable of colors. Matter of fact the white may the the choice since you can set them to solid on and then you have backup lights for late evening work.

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here