Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
craftsmans 42 starter wont engage

Posted by jimmy21 none (My Page) on
Tue, May 27, 14 at 21:33

I have a craftsman 42" with a kohler cv15s. It was working fine yesterday and today i came home to find out the cylinder had flooded with fuel. Once i pulled the spark plug and all the fuel drained out, the motor turns over just fine. The problem is the starter isn't getting any power. I think i may have burned something up while the motor was hydrolocked. I jumpered from the battery to the starter and it turned over fine. What are some possible causes for power to not get to the starter and how can i test each piece?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: craftsmans 42 starter wont engage

More than likely you need to drain the oil and put in fresh before starting it. Pull the dipstick and if the oil is thin and smells like gas, you'll be looking for a new engine soon. If you kept trying to crank it while hydrolocked you probably cooked the solenoid, but I would make sure all safety switches and fuses are working first.
Mike

o

I looked at the oil. It has a slight gas smell to it But it doesn't seem watered down at all.

I found a wiring diagram and its definitely the started solenoid.

o

jimmy21 - unless you have a wild urge to replace that engine, best drain/replace that gas-contaminated oil right quick. Crankcase oil contaminated with raw fuel loses it's lubricating qualities quickly.
And - if you have a gravity feed fuel tank - install an inline fuel cutoff valve and use it every time you shut the engine down. cheap insurance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here