Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kohler oil leak:

Posted by bushleague MA (My Page) on
Mon, May 24, 10 at 21:33

I'm trying to pinpoint an oil leak on a Kohler CV-740, 27HP twin on a Gravely ZTR. The leak is confined to the oil cooler and filter area. I replaced the oil cooler lines and clamps, oil filter, and 'O' ring on the cooler to sump. I cleaned everything up with Super Clean and ran it up however it looks as if the cooler to sump is still leaking at high rpm, drip drip sort of leak on to the engine mounting plate.
The sump to block looks dry except in this region but it has been soaked with oil from all of the leaks. Tomorrow I'm going to eliminate the cooler and mount an oil filter directly to the sump and see if the leak persists. Any other thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kohler oil leak:

I had a Deere last year the same. Replace the o ring and ended up putting a new cooler on it.

o

"Replace the o ring and ended up putting a new cooler on it."

Just don't buy a hardware store o'ring they are NOT compatible with oil and will swell and crack, get the OEM o'ring.

o

Actually, I took the O ring out of my faucet and had to replace that too. . .
I think the thing that happens with these is the composite adapter distorts sometimes.

o

Well o'rings are made of all sorts of compounds, some are good for water, some resistant to alcohol, some petrolium products. Choose or use the wrong one in any application and it will fail.

Might check http://www.conoverseals.com/aboutus.html for some history and tech info @ http://www.conoverseals.com/Fluid.asp

Depending on the fluid and temp some are just downright bound to fail, most Hardware store o'rings are just meant for use with water and faucets at very low pressures.

YMMV but I would look for the factory recomended o'ring and correct compound rather than risk a expensive repair for a 50 cent hw store quick fix.

o

The replacement 'O' ring was a Kohler OEM part, not something you would want to substitute. Now I'm curious to see if the cooler base is leaking by eliminating it as Tom suggested.

o

I removed the cooler and installed a nipple and filter to the filter base, ran it up, leak is sump gasket.

o

Oh joy! Couldn't be a simpler deal...

o

This Kohler model (CV-740) actually has an oil pan gasket, I'll change the c/s seal while I'm there.

o

This is probably one of Kohler's gaskets that comes w/ parts and papers- true to Kohler form. And don't just use any plumbing gasket. (had to nudge the other poster in some good spirited fun ;) Personally, I think they should have stuck w/ RTV...

o

There was a design flaw in the dowel pin adjacent to the oil pump, the OEM style was an open loop design, which placed pressure on the sump gasket and producing the leak. The replacement gasket from Kohler came furnished with the closed loop design, as seen on any other Kohler. "Do not use RTV" read the instruction, not even that little dollup I always place around that dowel pin. Additionally for tolerance issues if the engine came gasketed, replace the gasket.

o

Good for another 10,000 miles. Thanks for sharing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here