Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmaez

My brand new John Deere L130 is broken

bmaez
16 years ago

I had just picked it up today and started cutting my lawn and within 3 minutes its started making an awful sound smoke starts coming from the deck. I shut it down and check underneath and the belt had slipped off the pulleys. I will be calling the dealer and have them pick up this mower. Any advise on what to get? Do I give John Deere another try? Give me your opinions, it has taken alot of research for me to get to this mower and now I am starting over again.

Comments (39)

• stanleyjohn
    16 years ago

I would give JD another chance!Looks like something was defective under the deck when you bought it.I bought a LA100 about a month ago and have just finished my forth cut with no problems.I have heard others on this forum and another forum with the LA100 series JD with no problems.

• stanleyjohn
    16 years ago

I think the LA100 series replaced the L100 series for 2007.Not really much of a change in the diff models.Wish i could edit after posting here!but see no way to do so.

• bmaez
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Looks like I made an error in my initial message. I meant an LA130 not L130.

I do have 30 days to return the mower right? Also what is the difference between purchasing from Home Depot and the JD Dealer? Both offer mowers at the same price but the HD has more financing options.

• cobhonfor
    16 years ago

Keep the mower, just a small problem that obviously can be fixed. Any model, any brand can have an unfortunate situation like this, and if given the chance I suspect the dealer will fix this and you will all but forget about it in the near future.

• richard48367
    16 years ago

Unless you got a tremendous deal on it . . . why would you keep it? Who knows what else is wrong with it? I'd get something else. Where is the quality control and inspection? Came from a dealer??? Buy something else with your hard earned money.

• johndeere
    16 years ago

Defective belt?

Miss routed belt?

Defective tensioner spring?

The dealer should have you up and running in no time.Might be able to fix on sight without hauling it to his shop.

• bmaez
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I understand things happen and I am not trying to get some sort of kickback or anything but just the fact that it broke w/in the first 5 minutes of use just gives me a sick feeling, not so much about JD but this mower in partiular. I may end up just getting the same one but just not this one fixed. I was thinking the LA140.

• bighagrid
    16 years ago

ya bought it from JD right! Give it back to them and tell them ya want another one. I am sure they have more than one sitting there. Test ride it before you leave...problem solved...Try and do that with HD or Lowes..never happen with them..Just a freak of nature...

• stanleyjohn
    16 years ago

I bought mine at lowes!They hire a local JD dealership to inspect the tractors(at least my lowes did).Its the same tractor at home depot or at a JD dealer.I did buy the 3 yr extended warrenty from lowes.Any warrenty service will be done by a local JD dealer choosen by Lowes.

• bighagrid
    16 years ago

if ya have it less than30 days return it to lowes...JD has same or better financing..warranty is less for same 3 yr warranty and they deliver it for free...plus with warranty they pick up and deliver for free for I believe the first yr or two and then charge only 30 bucks instead of 60 for p.u and del.

• fdefulvio
    16 years ago

I saved $300 on the purchase of my LA130 from Lowe's because of the same situation. Fortunately for me, I was the one who purchased the returned tractor. It had 1 hour on it and the repair was to re-attach the belt. I spoke with the local JD dealer who did the repair to confirm that was all that was wrong with it.

The belt did slip off again on me, but I was was washing out the deck at the time and engaged the PTO to flush out the deck. After a couple of minutes, the belt slipped off. I called the local JD dealer who came out the next day and fixed it on site without any questions. I haven't had a problem since, but I am now hesitant to engage the blades when it's wet.

• daft_punk
    16 years ago

I would give 'em a chance to fix it. If it broke again - especially from the same issue - then I'd likely want a new one.

FWIW, I don't think this failure fairly represents the reliability of John Deere in general, or the LA130 in particular.

Peace.

Marco

• fwoz
    16 years ago

I bought a new L118 two years ago. I should have returned it after the first problem. John Deere warrantee is not worth very much.

Also, be aware of transmission problems.

I would suggest you go with a different brand that is willing to back their warrantee.

Good luck!

• richard48367
    16 years ago

It has been reported on this forum by people who fix them . . that the low end JD's have problems with the belts and spindles . . . so why take a chance with this.
    Noticed that Sears has a CLEARANCE on 54" 24hp full pressure hydro model 27686 regular price 2399 for 1998. It is a Husky. Bet you the belts won't fall off of that one!

• metal
    16 years ago

The warranty exists for just this type of case. Return it and let us know how the process goes for you so we can learn from your experience.

• vinny_2007
    16 years ago

The same thing happened to me back in 1989(18 yrs ago).I had purchased a new Landmark(MTD)and on my very first mow the smell of burnt rubber and smoke brought me to a quick halt.The problem was a loose belt that was slipping(causing friction).Obviously this was rectified by simply tightening the belt.Perhaps you may also want to make sure you mow at full throttle. I,ve had a happy relationship with that machine since then. Incidently,like you, I just recently purchased a J.D. LA 130 with which I am very satisfied (so far).In your case I would check for the belt tension and give it another chance.This can happen to any brand...Good luck.

• wally2q
    16 years ago

I guess when you get your Pontiac Grand-Am, it being a pontiac and all (therefore unreliable), and when you get your first recall notice, or the brakes fail at 5000 miles - do you go out and start b!tching and tell GM to take their POS back?.... or do you give them another chance and buy another GM product in a few years when it's time to buy another car?

You have warranty. Get it fixed. Move on.

• herus
    16 years ago

Richard48367, reading the reviews on that Husky (on the Sears page) would not make me too confident of buying that mower.

I have been waffling re my intended purchase of an LA120. Due to a gift cert that I have I will in all likelihood be using HD. I hope this is not too much of a hijack of the thread but the PTI dealer for the store I am buying it from (am friendly with the salesman there, and I like dealing with him) is very far from my home. OTOH, there is another dealer who is less than 10 miles away. Could I use that dealer for warranty work? I did read all the cautions about not being a service priority to a dealer you did not buy from, etc., but this is my situation which I cannot do much to change.

BTW, and this could be another topic, I think it is not too great that that happens at the JD dealers. Service should be first come first served, as it is at car dealerships. Yes, if you buy a Lexus or MB from that dealer you may get a better loaner car, but that is about the only difference.

Also, surely JD dealers are getting a slice of the HD/Lowe's pie, as they are not setting them up for free, plus they get service work, plus the people who are satisfied with them and JD and upgrade to non-HD/Lowe's machines in a few years.

I have been doing frenzied research on all kinds of tractor topics and sites over the past several days. In general, the LA120 is well received, along with pretty much all the LA100 series, but it is a relatively new line.

Quite anxious as this is my first tractor and really, my first single lawn expense over about $300.

• richard48367
    16 years ago

herus
    That Husky had 13 reviews and most were 5 of 5. One gent rated it a 1 of 5. Obviously, he got the dog. That drove down the ratings to 4.2
    Not too many $2000 tractors will have a better cumulative rating. Just shows . . . you can get a dog with any tractor. . .
    The JD is a great brand. . . especially on the med to high end. But, I don't think the LA130 has the same value as that husky. I.E. feature for feature.

• jimbo68
    16 years ago

Bmaez, stick with the JD. I have had my L111 for three years. Bought it from HD, serviced every year by the local JD dealer, zero problems. I also posted a message awhile back where I saw a commercial lawn care guy beating a L series to death. The guy operating it had be 350lbs. It had over 500 hours on it. A little rust that was to be expected since he lived on the Eastern shore in salt air, but otherwise it was mowing like a champ. I am sure Lowe's or the JD dealer will support you in whatever you decide.

• glc1027
    16 years ago

5 bucks says it's a 5 minute fix.Somebody just didn't install the belt properly at the dealership. Smoke was from belt binding up somewhere.

Have it checked out. The JD is a far better than averave mower.

• herus
    16 years ago

Richard48367: Agree with your analysis. I considered the Husky very strongly and it is still not out of the running. I have to say I do like the looks of the JD more (at one time I posted I didn't care about color, but maybe I do. I still maintain that as I have no prior experience with tractors etc, I do not have a predetermined affection for JD as some might). I also like the 'sit' of the JD better, in the way the seat is higher than the Husky, but the hood slopes down faster, thus affording far greater front visibility. Not sure if this is a real benefit when it comes to lawns... driving a car, sure.

I like the Husky's value for money. For $50 less (2348 vs LA120) you get: front bumper, five deck wheels vs two, electric PTO, larger tank, I think larger rear wheels and a bit more HP. I do think it looks like a little kid's toy, esp when viewed from the front, sort of tonka-truck like if you get my meaning. A little too butch, like they're trying too hard to be manly. (I am male - and straight, if that matters).

This is truly a difficult decision, and I'm sure some here will say due to overanalysis. I would have to agree but that's where I am now.

I just realized that my post is a pretty obvious hijack by now. I apologize to OP; I truly did not intend it to be so.

• wally2q
    16 years ago

Actually - it would be to every deere fan's benefit if you bought the husky. Why?... to keep them in business, because if they drop out, and all the low-priced machines disappear from the market, then Deere, Simplicity, and Cub, will all of a sudden end up 50% more expensive.

So go forth, buy the Husky - so that my new deere I'll be buying in a few years will be affordable.

I thank you in advance (for the sacrifice of your dollars that is - for my ultimate benefit)

• herus
    16 years ago

Well, a much more reliable plan would be for you to work much harder (I'd say smarter but I'm sure you've maxed out), make a lot more money over the next few years, and then affordability of anything is no problem. In fact, unless you just enjoy yardwork, you could hire the best outfit to do it and not care how it's done.
    Now there's a sacrifice!

The above comments were made in the same humorous vein that I assume the previous post was in.

• muttonpower
    16 years ago

we have had several problems with the LA130 and the belts either shredding or coming right off the pulleys. The problem is that it is the same belt and pulley system that is used on the LA100, LA110, and LA120. All of those have a 42 inch deck and that is why there are no problems. When you go to the LA130, LA140, or LA150 you get bigger decks and the belts and pulleys can't handle it! Buy your self an X300 series and you won't have that problem! If you want to stay in the same price range I suggest the Simplicity Regent! You won't have that problem with them either.

• bighagrid
    16 years ago

you could go out and buy the Husky and may not have problems with your belts at all, but at the same time you can sit back and watch the rest of it fall apart bit by bit...But at least your belts will be in good condition..Otherwise the Simplicity Regent is a good alternative and much wiser as is the X300 series..all depends when you want to bite the bullet...sorry for the sarcasm, but trying to look reality square in the face..

• richard_frogstreet_net
    16 years ago

Sounds like a hurried assembly-person put the belt over one of the safety thingies that keep the belts from flying off. I've done this once or twice and the belt lasts about 3 minutes when you engage it. No big deal, but if it came that way they should fix it and throw in a maintenance kit or something for your trouble.

I am waiting for my first Deere to arrive today (LA120). My 1997 Poulan (B&S 16.5 OHV) threw a rod.

• bunkers
    16 years ago

I wouldn't try to tell you a Geo Metro was the same vehicle as a Honda Accord. By the same token, the Deere L tractors from home depot are meant to compete at a certain (low) price point with Sears.

Personally, I'd return it and but a used Deere LT,LX,GT or GX off craigslist instead.

You'll get 2-4 times the tractor (esp. in the toughness department) ... and pay about the same.

• bmaez
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That is the dumbest advice I have ever heard, I wish I had gotten 5000 miles out of my mower. So what your saying is that if you drove your Pontiac of the lot and 3 minutes down the road the engine quit you would get it fixed? I compared it to the engine because a mower w/out blades to me is like a car w/out an engine. You must be a favorite among salesmen.

Posted by wally2q L40, Ontario (My Page) on Wed, May 30, 07 at 11:53

I guess when you get your Pontiac Grand-Am, it being a pontiac and all (therefore unreliable), and when you get your first recall notice, or the brakes fail at 5000 miles - do you go out and start b!tching and tell GM to take their POS back?.... or do you give them another chance and buy another GM product in a few years when it's time to buy another car?
    You have warranty. Get it fixed. Move on.

• stanleyjohn
    16 years ago

bmaez! Just curious!What did you end up getting?Another LA130 or something else.

• nebeginner
    16 years ago

... Would be serviced by the JD dealer contracted to set up the tractor. There should be a sticker on the tractor for the JD dealer.

HD or Lowes vs. the JD dealer: if I could buy it from the dealer, I'd get it there. I think the dealer will store and handle the tractor better than what might happen at Lowes and HD. I bought a JD at Lowes that had a lot of rust ... even inside on steering parts, as well other cosmetic problems (gouges and rust) that resulted from being left out in the rain as well as hitting things when the kids drove it in and out each day. After looking at a dealers inventory - all looked like a brand new tractor should - I took mine back to Lowes.

• butchs_hobby
    16 years ago

I stopped at Lowes yesterday to pick up some bushings(didn't have them) and as I was walking in a family of five kids made a bee-line for the new mowers sitting out front. When I come out 10-12 minutes later those kids were having a ball jerking on everything or jumping up and down on the machines, made me really want to buy one of those! I always recommend going to the dealer. Number one the parents shouldn't have allowed that but where standing there watching, I doubt a dealer would have allowed it. The dealer is the one who has a service dept to take care of any problems so why would you buy from a place that knows nothing about what they're selling? John Deere is one of the best brands out there but they have a warranty just like Caddys or Lincolns for a reason.

• nebeginner
    16 years ago

... not damage that occurs while under the dealers care. Discovered this with my Lowes JD ... JD wouldn't cover the rust and dings, and Lowes has no capability to fix anything themselves. They would have had to pay JD to fix it, which of course they wouldn't do. I've seen kids jumping on them as well. Last summer had to go to HD just at closing time one night ... the kids that work there were bringing in the tractors ... racing around, trying to "pop a wheelie". Personally I'd pass on using a gift card or other discount and buy from a dealer where that kind of stuff in not likely to happen ... I don't treat my tools or lawn equipent that way, and I don't won't pay for something "new" that has been abused like that for 5 or 10% discount. Can always use the Lowes or HD discount on something else ... hopefully that comes in a new, factory sealed box.

• grumpy01
    16 years ago

Probably the guy who put it together didn't tighten the belt properly.

I bought a Cub Cadet GT in 1996 and the deck belt broke during the first 30 minutes of use. I'm still using the Cub and have never had any problems at all. 11 years and nothing done except regular maintenance.

I bought mine at a Farmer's Co-op and I called them when the belt broke. They said come and get another one. I made a 40 mile round trip for the belt and when I got home, I discovered it was the wrong belt. I called them back and they said "no problem, just bring it back". I told them to bring it to me. That I wasn't driving back up there. he said he didn't have anyone to deliver it and I told him if he wanted my business in the future, he had better find someone. I walked outside about a half hour later and the store manager was in my garage installing the belt.

• marvin134
    16 years ago

Posted by richard48367 (My Page) on Wed, May 30, 07 at 8:43

Noticed that Sears has a CLEARANCE on 54" 24hp full pressure hydro model 27686 regular price 2399 for 1998. It is a Husky. Bet you the belts won't fall off of that one!

I got one of the 27686's today. Richard, how's yours doing? I started a separate thread about that model.
    Marvin

• metal
    16 years ago

Wow, nice segue, now it is a Husky thread! Where's LB59?

• rikmeister01
    16 years ago

i have an L135 from last year and i have had zero problems with it. I had a bolens previously and it knew its way back to the dealer by itself. I could not wait to get rid of it.

• Dittmerite1_aol_com
    12 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to post my rant. I bought an L 130 from HD . After the first season, the deck spindles went out, predictable enough, the originals don't come with a grease fitting. So instead of a $.10 zirc fitting from the factory, you WILL need to buy three "new style" spindles (the new ones come with grease fittings). $45 each.

After around 200 hours my L130 began having the dreaded growl. Once it gets hot (20-30 minutes) it won't drag itself up a hill. New transmission $650 + install.

I understand that when they (JD) built these they used the bottom k46 tranny (as do most mowers under $5000) however they decided to use standard oil (not synthetic) no external cooler (some k46 trannies have an external tank). And to add insult to injury JD won't service the tranny, no oil change, no rebuild, just replace the whole unit.

Tufftorq (the manufacturer of the k 46) sells parts, including a rebuild kit, making JD's lack of service unacceptable. At this point the only real JD part of any mower under about $5000 is the cutting deck itself. All the tractors are about the same (MTD builds them all).

How much is green paint worth? About $800-1000 more than a comparable model made with the same parts painted a different color.

I guess they don't care if I buy another one... My next one WON'T be green.

• irishdadnwa_aol_com
    12 years ago

I also bought one of those beautiful green L-130's from HD... It was so nice until it got about 50 hrs on it... then spindles needed replaced, belt springs, and the Kholer 23 hp v-twin started having carb problems. I service all of my equipment impecably... but our JD L130 would have been better to fall off our utility trailer so I could recover some of the money I laid down for the hunk of junk... This mower is now sitting at our shop, getting a complete refurbishing so I can get rid of it and all the cheap attachments you can buy for it. John Deere did themselves no favors by stamping their name on this Chinese junker.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner