Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gbs599250

Simplicity Regent

gbs599250
15 years ago

I have been reading / researching this forum for almost 2 yrs and now I need to ask a question. I pretty much have decided to buy a Simplicity regent mower. I presently mow my yard with a 21" self propelled and it takes me anywhere from 1 hr and 45 mins to 2 hrs to mow the lawn. A close by dealer has a couple of 2005s still on his floor. A 38" deck with a 18 hp Kolher command an a 44" deck with a 18 hp Briggs and Stratton Vanguard twin. I could get by with the 38" deck but everybody has told me it is easier to trim around things with a 44 " deck. He wants $2150.00 for the 38" deck and $2350.00 for the 44" deck. Another local dealer has a 2007 44" with a 22 hp Briggs ELS twin engine for around $2550.00. According to Simplicity the 2007 44" has a K46 hd transaxle were the 2005 has a k46. Simplicity redesigned the Regent in 2006. Is the new design that much better or would you opt for the 2005s for the better engines. thanks

Comments (4)

• kwtrading
    15 years ago

i'm not really up on all the pricing, but i thought there was a current Regent model starting at $1995? not sure what engine but i don't think there is any deck under 38". you didn't say the exact size of your lawn but if you can push mow it in 2 hours or less then i'd think a 38" tractor would be plenty.

i have a 44" Regent (12 years old) and unless they changed the overall deck/mower design i have a really hard time getting the deck slid out from under the tractor after i remove it (and vice versa). just doesnt seem to be enough room. unless i'm doing something wrong, 38" i'm sure would be easier.

• nine7xbam
    15 years ago

Get the 05 with the Briggs Vanguard . You're not only getting a bigger deck for the extra $200 , you're gettting a smoother running v twin commercial grade engine vs. residential grade engines in the newer Regent models . I've got an 05 Broadmoor with that 18 horse Vanguard and it's one quiet , smooth running engine . Never cared for the Regent downgrade to the Intek or Intek ELS which Briggs did almost immediately after taking over Simplicity to cut costs . They should at least offer the Vanguard in the Regent in a premium model , because to get it now you've got to upgrade to the Broadmoor which goes for over 4K now (paid $3050 for mine 3 years ago) with no $300 rebate that Simplicity used to offer . The Briggs beancounters are now in charge at Simplicity , but it's good to see that you can still get a good deal on a leftover model at some dealers . Good luck in whatever you decide !

• lawnstripes
    15 years ago

It's a tough call; I was in a similar situation 2 years ago. I bought my Simplicity Regent in 06, and the dealer had some 05 models in stock, and a brochure for the 06 models. I chose an 05 with the 18HP Vanguard and a 40 inch dedicated mulching deck (the deck seems to be sold only in Europe). The deck hanging arrangement and suspension is different in the newer model. I don't know if it is an improvement, but it is different!

There are also some minor features on the 06 model like an hours meter, power socket, and cruise control. The 05 is a little shorter, which may help in any tight spaces.

In UK, the V-twin engine / 40 inch mulching deck combination was not available in the 06 model, and this was the decider for me to go with the 05 model.

The price also dropped a little with the 06 model - probably mainly due to the lower cost engines. The 06 model seems to have gained some weight, so the amount of material used hasn't dropped if that is an indicator of quality.

• eal51
    15 years ago

Go for that 2005 with the Vanguard engine. You won't regret it.

I have an 06 Simplicity Conquest with the B/S Vanguard, 21 hp, and the 44" deck. Great combination.

Enjoy the journey.
    eal51 in western CT

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler