Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joe53_gw

yts 4000 fuel problem?

Joe53
10 years ago

Craftsman YTS4000 2010 model with Briggs 24hp V-twin with twin carbs

Hi fellas......I think I got a fuel issue....

When it sits a while....it wont crank without a bump of starter fluid.....then it fires immediately and cranks without assistance after that.

From that point--engine sounds good but won't take gas without coughing and faltering unless you ease the throttle forward slowly.

If you do this...it runs smooth....ease it up to full revs....most of the time you can even engage the blades.

But shove the throttle forward at a faster pace/or throw the blades in gear at full throttle---and the engine falters and almost dies until you yank the throttle back. A little blue/black smoke when this happens.

I can't decide if it's being shorted on fuel.... main jet is plugged? or if its the governor is involved? or a throttle plate issue?

Basically it ran a few minutes today cutting grass after I brought it up to speed gradually and slowly engaged the blades....and as soon as the engine came under any additional load...it started to die

Could it be too much fuel? The pulse fuel pump is pumping a good flow of gas when I pulled the line to check it.....so I do think adequate fuel is available for the carb.

One thing I noticed is that the throttle plate linkage is very loose and free....it looks to be hooked up right....but it sure is loosey goosey...there's no spring on it at all.....it only moves when the throttle is shoved past the indent position

throttle plate? Dirty carb? governor? vent cap?

Comments (11)

• Joe53
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ahhhh forgot.......Model number is 917.289272

• rcbe
    10 years ago

1) LOSE THE STARTING FLUID! that's only for big engines, you'll blow that small one. Use rattlecan carb cleaner instead.
    2) may have one dead cyl. Try pulling one plug wire at a time and running engine - if engine behaves as described already one way and not at all the other, then one cyl is not firing.

• sassvoor
    10 years ago

I had that problem and found it to be the fuel filter/line. The previous owner had put in a new one but not Briggs. He also changed the route on the fuel line allowing mine to develop an air lock in the fuel line. New line and new filter and its been good to go.

• Joe53
    Original Author
    10 years ago

both cylinders firing....this thing cranks and runs smooth as silk until you get aggressive with throttling up or it comes under load.

full stream of gas pumping out of the pulse pump and into the carb...so if it's fuel starving....its prolly inside the carb

I think cleaning the carb is probably next

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

Did you do the "load test" as described by rcbe?
    You can have both cylinders firing, but only one producing power because of a clogged jet or blown head gasket etc.

Twin carbs?
    You must have a "very special" Briggs!

• Joe53
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ok....to be more specific---twin or dual throated.....fell back into the homeowner vernacular....ha

at any rate....yes....I can hear the change in engine tone when I pull each plug wire, respectively.....checked piston movement.....good plugs....etc

a clogged jet is where I'm leaning at this point....this engine was used in a pretty dirty environment before I got it....filter was in place and was decent....but u never know....166 hours

thks for the input....

I

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

"yes....I can hear the change in engine tone when I pull each plug wire, "

Under LOAD?

I give up.

• Joe53
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yes Bill....under load....

patience is a virtue, my man.....

• rcbe
    10 years ago

well,son... never bite the hand that ... seems you are looking for a handholder. Have fun with yer carb.

• Joe53
    Original Author
    10 years ago

well buddy....u know what they say about free advice

I shoulda known better

• rcbe
    10 years ago

bye. have fun.

Sponsored
Stanford Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia