Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aberdeenshire

jonsered yth16 clicking

Aberdeenshire
9 years ago

So, I got a jonsered yth 16 with briggs and Stratton 16hp v-twin.

Turn the key, there's a click, I assume it's the solenoid. So I do the following ;

I check the engine turns by hand, which it does, it has compression too.
I turn put a jump lead direct from battery positive terminal to the starter, the mower trys to start.

No idea why but I leave the negative lead off, I use voltage meter direct to battery.

I now use voltage tester, I test my battery, I then test the first terminal ofcthe solenoid, all is fine, I test the next terminal and the terminal on the starter I still get the same reading on both. So now whilst still seeing the same reading at starter to negative on battery, I connect the negative, the clickers heard and my reading on starter has gone, take lead off, it's back etc.

The click is coming from the front of the engine, not coming the starter nor the solenoid. I took top cover off engine, I see a tiny single wire vanishing behind the carb and air filter, this is where the click comes from. Next step is to take air box off?

All in all I wondered if anyone has had this problem. I have read forums after forums but their problem is always the solenoid.

Thanks in advance, sorry to have waffled on

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County
More Discussions