Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing Wheel Horse 108-R belt

Posted by als2002 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 3, 07 at 7:26

I just got an older riding lawn tractor. On the side it says "Wheel Horse 108-R". It has an 8HP Briggs and Stratton engine. The only place with an actual model/serial number is on the side of the tractor and that has faded to white. Theres no model number I could find under the seat or anywhere else.

This tractor drives fine, it just wont cut. The reason seems to be that one of the belts is too large. It has too much slack. So I have to replace it. But I have no manual and by the looks of it, it could be a difficult job. There are two sets of pulleys and belts and this one is closest to the engine. To get it off Id have to get the lower pulley/belts off.

My guess is the tractor dates back to the late 1980s. It was given to me and Im wondering if its even worth working on. If it is, how do I go about replacing the belt? Is there any easy way? Is there any way to even find out the exact/real model? I called Toro support (which now owns Wheel Horse) and they didnt have a clue what a 108-R is.
Thanks,
Al

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing Wheel Horse 108-R belt

In my Gates belt catalog, they list a 108-3, 4 and 5
Could the "R" be a number?

o

I just posted a couple of pictures of the tractor in a picasa web album and put the link in the optional link field. That's definitely an R. I think it's probably one of those other 108's sold under another name. Are there any manuals to be found for the 108-3,4, or 5? Are the belts all the same size? And is there any indication how to replace them?
Thanks,
Al

Here is a link that might be useful: tractor pictures.

o

I don't know if this makes sense or not-
108-3; 108-4; 108-5 OEM Gates
Jackshaft To Deck 110420 6848
Traction 110364 6833

Don't know
No
No

o

Go to this link: http://www.toro.com/home/index.html

Click on "Look Up Parts" under "Customer Care"

Input this model number:

33-08X301 (or 33-08X303 - I am not sure of the differences)

This is for an '85 model - yours is this or very close. I think you will find that owners, parts, and service manuals are available. If you do the purchase, it may be available for free via download, or at the most there may be a charge of $ or $5 for them to send you printed copies.

Looks like a fine little rider to me, the 8HP Briggs should be plenty powerful for this deck and millions must've been made, the transmission is standard stuff, the rest is basically pulleys and brackets and a bearing or bushing here & there, bottom line looks to me like an easy unit to get going and keep it going. Ed

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here