Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thomis

busted deck mount

thomis
9 years ago

Man, always something. Just when I get her purring like a kitten...I was mowing the ditch, which is hard on the deck, I noticed the deck was flimsy and saw this. I think this has to be a common problem. My tractor is not that old. Should I get someone to weld it or what fix do you suggest?

{{gwi:330773}}

Comments (8)

• tomplum
    9 years ago

Welding is really the only cost effective solution here. I suppose a person could fashion something that could be a bolt on bracket kind of fix. I do fix quite a few of these. Inspect the rest of the deck, mainly the other side rear support. It will start to tear from the front. Also, the bracket for the fixed idler will start to tear as well. Just 1 gauge thicker metal.....

• mownie
    9 years ago

Oh Deere me!
    That CAN be repaired using a welding process.
    But I don't suggest attempting to do it by simply having someone slop another bead on top of that fracture line.
    To adequately address a failure like this with welding, a piece of 1/8" thick "angle iron" needs to be added on each long side of the vertical member (hanger) so that the hanger and the deck shell do not continue to flex in the area of the break.
    Adding a piece of angle measuring 1" X 1" X whatever the width of the vertical member measures just to the point where the flat section of hanger ends..........reinforces the juncture and moves the stress points away from metal that is now fatigued.
    After welding the two reinforcement angles into place, the deck should be turned upside down and the break area welded up from the back side to complete the repair.
    Have it done by a competent, professional welding shop.
    Deck removed from tractor and cleaned up, no grass matting on underside of deck.
    Then, a rattle can of JD Yellow paint.

• thomis
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yup

{{gwi:330774}}

my neighbor welds, i give them eggs from our chickens, fair trade :)

• ckr74
    9 years ago

Looks good. Oughta work.

• mownie
    9 years ago

Looks good except where's the JD Yellow paint?

• thomis
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i don't know where to get that? and i'm sure they want an arm and a leg for it! i mean jeez, their oil filters are $9!!!

• mownie
    9 years ago

If you have a Tractor Supply Store near you they have it in a rattle can spray.
    Oil filter $9 ?
    What engine is on your Deere? There are easily obtainable oil filters, name brand stuff, for about half that or less.
    In fact, if you use the forum search feature at the bottom of the forum opening page and search for "Oil filter cross reference"
    You will probably cuss yourself when you learn what else will safely work on the engine instead of the Deere brand.
    Nothing innately special about a Deere brand filter, except that it may have the Deere name painted on it.
    Somebody else made it for Deere, at the lowest bid.

• thomis
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yeah, that may pi$$ me off! i have the lowly la115, its not even a Kohler. I only mow an acre point five so it does the trick. i will check TS for the paint, thanks for the tip(s)!

Sponsored
Above Board Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Custom Deck & Outdoor Enclosure Solutions in Loudoun County