Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing shift-lever spring on Craftsman lawn tractor

Posted by tonycus none (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 8:20

Hi, I'm new to the forum, but I love what I've seen. I have a Craftsman 917.256543 lawn tractor. The small torsion spring that holds the trans shift lever loaded toward the left has broken. I ordered the part, but I can't figure out how to mount it! I have attached a photo. The left arrow is the small mounting hook mounted to the bracket, and the right arrow is the other hook that, I think, is supposed to hook under the shifter lever. Is there a trick or shortcut? I can't seem to get enough leverage to hook the spring. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing shift-lever spring on Craftsman lawn tractor

Is the spring broken or did it just pop off the shaft?

Appears from the pic that you can move the spring to the left, up, and back to hook onto the shaft behind the arrow on the right.

If that is all that needs to be done it is easily accomplished in less than a minute with a screw driver.

o

Thanks for the response. Sorry I didn't mention that is the new spring in the photo. The problem is that I can't get the leverage to load up the spring to hook it under that shaft. I don't know if I need to slide the shaft out of the bracket that the left arrow points to and try to get it on that way, or if there is another way it should be done.

o

It's more complicated to explain that to do.

Leave the shaft alone and use a screw driver (from the right) or vise grips to lever the spring up and back till you can hook it behind the shaft.

Be careful cause it is easy to stab yourself with the screw driver if you don't know what you're doing.

o

Thanks, I took off the 2 cotter pins and slid the shaft part-way out of the bracket, set up the spring and slid the shaft back into the bracket. Worked out great. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here