Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cabinfever_gw

Repower a John Deere GT225

cabinfever
13 years ago

I have a 1998 GT225 with a single cylinder Kohler 15hp (CV15S). I have always run a 48" deck, but that motor has a tough time getting the blades spinning and keeping them spinning when my grass is higher. I also run a 42" single stage snowthrower that works great.

I'd like to install a stronger motor. If I find one with the same size shaft, is that all I need to be concered with or is there more to it? Any suggestions for a 20-25hp motor?

Comments (3)

• larso1
    13 years ago

Well, the GT345 has a 20-HP Kawasaki V-twin and it runs a 54-in deck, so I would think 20-HP is as much as you could possibly need on that.

Jim's Tractor Repair and the Small Engine Warehouse sell repower kits using the Briggs Vanguard...great engine. May be the safest way to go with a totally different engine/mfr..
    Check the link to Jim's

Here is a link that might be useful: Jim's Tractor Repair

• bushleague
    13 years ago

I had a 225 a couple of years ago which I sold and also felt it was underpowered. A V-twin is a good option, just going to need to come up with an exhaust solution. If you want to keep it apples to apples, a CV-492S (18hp) single might be an option.

• sergeant
    13 years ago

Well here's the SEW link for the GT225 any of the engine that fit it the GT235,GT245 or The LX200 series will fit in your GT225. Heck you can even put in a Liquid Cooled kawasaki from a LX279.

Here is a link that might be useful: GT225

Sponsored
Arete Construction Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Experienced Craftsman & Top Quality Masonry in Frederick County