Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catleys_gw

Troy-bilt Bronco question

catleys
11 years ago

My Bronco rider starts fine, runs fine, cuts fine....but upon turning it off I get some smoke/oil burn from up in the very front of the engine. There seems to be a small oil leak up in the front.

From this brief description, any thoughts/ideas as to what it may be?

The gist of posting a question is a hope of seeking a clue as to whether such a symptom is impending doom...ie don't waste the $$ to get it serviced, or likely repairable gasket-type issue etc.

in advance...thanks for any/all expertise & thoughts!!!

Comments (12)

• tomplum
    11 years ago

Most likely the valve cover gasket. Engine specs for parts are located on the valve cover if this is a Briggs engine. A Kohler will have a white tag on the shroud.

• mownie
    11 years ago

catleys, please post some other info and numbers to go with your otherwise good description.
    We need to know the specific tractor Model Number and Serial Number in order to view an online manual from MTD.
    This number is usually found under the seat when seat is tilted up. Some tractors will have that info on a hood decal.
    Also if you can find numbers on the engine itself, those should also be posted along with the tractor model & serial.
    Once we know which chassis and which engine you are dealing with we may be able to advise you on your needed course of action.

• catleys
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kohler Courage engine, twin-cam, 535CC, serial # 3811517483.

If a valve cover gasket, is it an affordable fix?

Thanks for taking the time to respond and offer up some thoughts!! Seriously appreciated?

• mownie
    11 years ago

Very affordable fix......even if you have to take it to a pro shop.
    Of course we lean heavily toward DIY repairs here, but we understand (barely) how some folks prefer to "farm it out".
    If you are reasonably handy and have a few basic mechanic's tools it can be DIY. If you think you want to try it you need to get to the Kohler web site and download a free copy of the service manual for your engine.

• catleys
    Original Author
    11 years ago

mownie...I have downloaded the relevant pages. The visual looks to be right where I seem to have a leak, so while I'm admittedly at the lunatic-fringe of being mechanically inept...I actually think I'm going to give this a shot. I've been inspired to attempt a DIY.

Is this as easy as removing the valve cover, replacing the gasket, and re-torqing the valve cover screws in the prescribed sequence and to the prescribed specs? Any gotchas?

BTW - LOVED the 'we understand (barely)' comment!!!!!

• tomplum
    11 years ago

Yes. They also have redesigned the cover on these to lessen the re-occurance of another leak.

• mownie
    11 years ago

Well, some of us here are people who always seem to have some dirt under their fingernails, so we have to remember that not everybody is like us.
    If you have the correct service manual from Kohler, there are only 2 pages you need to see for changing the valve cover gasket.
    Page 8.7 will help in removing the valve cover.
    Page 10.13 will help in putting the cover and new gasket back on the cylinder head.

• Allen44
    9 years ago

Troy built Bronco - Mower has plenty of pulling power but just crawls along , no speed . Replaced both belts ..

• tomplum
    9 years ago

"Troy built Bronco - Mower has plenty of pulling power but just crawls along , no speed . Replaced both belts .." A new thread?? You really need to supply more info IE model numbers, part numbers. Did you use OEM belts?

• Allen44
    9 years ago

Model Number - 13WX78KS011 YEAR 2011
    Upper belt - 954-0428// Drive belt - 954-0467A
    Belts ordered through Troy-Bilt .
    Was running slow ,belts were worn so I replaced them but it didn't help ...

• Allen44
    9 years ago

Back pulley is also free to move up and down as it should be ..

• tomplum
    9 years ago

(954-04208A) You have started out on the right track. A few things to double check when you have a slow ground speed: 1) the brake will not fully release. You can generally wiggle the disc back and forth. If not, take it on a "roadtest" and give it a cautious touch as it will be very hot if the brake is dragging. 2) The drive pulley below the engine is worn, cracked or glazed 3) the bearings in the VS pulley or idler pulley are binding and creating a load greater than what the belt can handle 4) The link adjustment is incorrect . 5) the upper belt was not placed behind the tab on frame (most have this tab, I can't say that all do) 6) the rear tension spring has been hooked in an incorrect location. Let us know how you do.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting