Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
John Deere L120 motor blew up

Posted by wh312-8 Rhode Island (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 11, 11 at 8:55

I recently traded a guy my Wheelhorse 312-8 for a 2007 John Deere L120. It had a 20hp Briggs and Stratton OHV Intek motor on it(model#406777). It had around 800 hours but was still running strong and wasn't smoking. two weeks later while im mowing, it starts making a grinding/rattling noise from the motor,then it made a popping noise and a dime-sized chunk came flying out of the block right behind the starter. Everywhere i have looked for a new or used motor it is $500-$700. Do you think i could rebuild my motor, or would i be better parting out the tractor? thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: John Deere L120 motor blew up

***"Do you think i could rebuild my motor?"***
NO!
***"would i be better parting out the tractor?"***
I don't have enough experience in how big the market demand is for used light line Deere's to advise one way or the other on that aspect of your situation.
Dime sized chunks flying out of the block usually demand around $1,000 (or more) to correct.

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 12, 11 at 17:21

The Wheelhorse 312-8 could have lasted several lifetimes. You didn't know what you had!

o

I really liked the 312-8 but my mower deck was rotted and i could not find one that was in better shape, and i needed to mow grass! I wish i had not gotten rid of it

o

You can find used engines either on craigslist, LT junk yards, Flea markets, or ebay. I see them every now and then. Don't have to be that exact model if you have skills? If not better get the exact same one for easy installation.

Expect to pay at least $300 to $500 for good one and probably as mowie said grand or more for new one. Now the next question is it worth it to you to spend that much on LT got 800 hours? Me if I had freeby engine laying around would be the only reason I would fix it. but that's me.

o

"Dime sized chunks flying out of the block usually demand around $1,000 (or more) to correct." I like that Mownie! It almost seems as though there should be a sliding scale as to coin size. Well, a quarter size hole will run ya... :)

o

I know a grapefruit sized hole in a Detroit Diesel Series 60 block will cost you around $12,000. :^)

o

Everything else on the tractor is in really good shape. I'm not sure how it has 800 hours on it. The mower deck still has paint on the bottom of it. It looks almost brand new.

o

You do see posts from people who left their key on and amassed a lot of hours...

o

I have a chance to get the same motor but 21HP the extra HP won't make too much of a difference right?

o

Here's a new short block on flea-bay: http://compare.ebay.com/like/180617719119?var=lv<yp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here